LaunchBox Community Forums

Unified Redux 1.8

(8 reviews)

13 Screenshots

About This File

Unified Redux is a very slight re-imagining of @CriticalCid's amazing Unified theme, focusing on minor tweaks to improve the experience based on the LaunchBox developer's personal preferences. Changes from the original theme are listed below:

• Rounder wheels
  • Much faster-spinning discs
  • Wheel shadows
  • Videos maintain their aspect ratios
  • Smoother transitions in a few spots
  • Top bar modified to prevent triangle corner overlap issues

Version 1.8 - Released March 26, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Fixed several potential issues due to accidentally using the Unified folder instead of the Unified Redux folder

Version 1.7 - Released March 25, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Removed several unnecessary plugins for functionality now built-in to LaunchBox\Big Box
  • Modified XAML to better support Big Box 9.5/9.6 (solves several minor visual issues, primarily with text lists)

Version 1.6 - Released December 3, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Added a new PrioritizedPathSelector plugin, which helps to ensure that proper images are shown for complicated playlist scenarios (multiple fallback priorities, etc.)

Version 1.5 - Released November 26, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Fixed issue with Arcade/MAME playlists not using proper media

Version 1.4 - Released November 15, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Pointer images will now change when entering into nested platforms and categories
  • Year and manufacturer text will no longer show up on platform views when those values don't exist
  • Publisher listed in the game details has been changed to developer, which is more important information to display
  • Developer, genre, and play mode text will no longer show up on game views when those values don't exist
  • Ratings displayed in the game views now show your personal rating instead of the community rating, if you've previously rated the game

Version 1.3 - Released November 12, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Added much better support for the new nested categories and playlists in LaunchBox\Big Box 9.0 (no more black screens) :)

Version 1.2 - Released August 31, 2018:

• Removed Grila's weather plugin. As awesome as it is, it was causing 1-2 second delays loading up every view.

Version 1.1 - Released August 30, 2018:

• Background images revamped (and in some cases removed) for common platforms in order to increase readability of the wheels and remove JPEG artifacts (many of the Classics playlists had backgrounds with horrible artifacts from Hyperspin). Thanks to @RetroHumanoid for many of the new backgrounds.
  • Removed the default Big Box logo for platforms or playlists with no logos. Even we're not that in love with the Big Box logo. ;)
  • Added background fanart images for some playlists that will show up if there are no videos for that playlist; previously the theme was showing a black screen in this case.
  • Reduced the size of the theme by over 350 MB by converting the background images from PNGs to maximum-quality JPGs. There is no perceived quality loss and now the theme is less than half the size.
  • Modified/removed some of the video borders with characters in order to better support the new arcade playlists (some of them were irrelevant to arcade games) and make room for arcade flyer images, which used to half-overlap the characters.

Highly recommended: Modify your "Images" > "3D Box Priorities" settings in LaunchBox to include "Box - Front" and "Advertisement Flyer - Front" images in order to display regular box or arcade flyer images if no 3D box image exists.

Please note: You will need to completely delete the previous version of the theme before putting in the new version in order to get all the updates (such as removing the Big Box logo and the space-saving JPG files).

Demo Video:

Examples of changes/additions to the 1.1 version of the theme:

1597608936_BallPaddle.thumb.jpg.c20ec34faecba5f9ce3d3317ff660573.jpg1868599061_BeatEmUps.thumb.jpg.a26702b81c2272a76c0230dfdffd3777.jpgPlatform.thumb.jpg.683a9c4c063df96a0d5d1eb402b844eb.jpg1092617485_RunGun.thumb.jpg.ecffa77fd3d366c77e95b639e10df01c.jpg2-Player.thumb.jpg.0463ed10160b0958c5ba2371eec76506.jpgPuzzle.thumb.jpg.2ecb78a8409d77790dbe6a468c4ed93b.jpg

Please see @CriticalCid's original Unified theme for installation and troubleshooting instructions. Requires LaunchBox Big Box 8.0 or greater.

Huge thanks goes out to @CriticalCid for the original theme, as well as the many different Hyperspin contributors who donated their time and talent to build an awesome, cohesive experience:

Gibbawho
@Styphelus
Unknown50862
@Klopjero
Neonrage
@knewlife
@Creloce
Ghostlost https://www.youtube.com/user/GhostlostGames
@ninja2bceen
@THK
adamg
Rkh
Rondar
@scooter1974
Zinger19
Aloner187
@guyverjay
MetalThrix
SophT
Ledgerewskie
hoscarconh https://www.youtube.com/user/hoscarconh
@viking
@RetroHumanoid http://retrohumanoid.weebly.com/

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

Version 1.3 - Released November 12, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Added much better support for the new nested categories and playlists in LaunchBox\Big Box 9.0 (no more black screens) :)

Version 1.2 - Released August 31, 2018:

• Removed Grila's weather plugin. As awesome as it is, it was causing 1-2 second delays loading up every view.

Version 1.1 - Released August 30, 2018:

• Background images revamped (and in some cases removed) for common platforms in order to increase readability of the wheels and remove JPEG artifacts (many of the Classics playlists had backgrounds with horrible artifacts from Hyperspin). Thanks to RetroHumanoid for many of the new backgrounds.

• Removed the default Big Box logo for platforms or playlists with no logos. Even we're not that in love with the Big Box logo. ;)

• Added background fanart images for some playlists that will show up if there are no videos for that playlist; previously the theme was showing a black screen in this case.

• Reduced the size of the theme by over 350 MB by converting the background images from PNGs to maximum-quality JPGs. There is no perceived quality loss and now the theme is less than half the size.

• Modified/removed some of the video borders with characters in order to better support the new arcade playlists (some of them were irrelevant to arcade games) and make room for arcade flyer images, which used to half-overlap the characters.

Highly recommended: Modify your "Images" > "3D Box Priorities" settings in LaunchBox to include "Box - Front" and "Advertisement Flyer - Front" images in order to display regular box or arcade flyer images if no 3D box image exists.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

Riffman81

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

The theme that rules them all IMO. Nice work to everyone involved!

• Like 1
Link to review
madhatter3339

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Great work guys!!!! Went through a few before I found this one and stopped looking after that!!!

• Like 1
Link to review
bundangdon

Fantastic theme with a little bit of everything thrown in! Great work and feel free to make a few more themes like this one anytime :)

• Like 1
Link to review
MonkeyDMills

Really love this theme, it's probably the most complete and slick one I've seen so far. Great work

• Like 1
Link to review
Klopjero

I like it!

• Like 1
Link to review
GuroDragon

· Edited by GuroDragon

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Very nice improvements and refinements to the original Unified. Hyper wha......T!

• Like 1
Link to review
Storefile

One of the best Themes I have seen just like the original with extra stuff added into it by the master.

But I have an issue I don't seem to get the main menu with the wheel and platforms just like in the video or picture no matter what I do or change, I get the full screen video and the wheel for the platforms?

What I am missing bet you is something stupid.

Please help out this newbie.

Thanks.

Main.jpg

Response from the author:

@Storefile Please create a new thread and mention me and I can help troubleshoot. If I had to guess, maybe you're just on the wrong view. Bind a key or controller button to "Switch View" in the options and then press that to try the other views.

Link to review
Nyny77

Awesome ! very great work.

Thanks ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to review