LaunchBox Community Forums

1 Screenshot

About This File

**This removes the nag screen that informs you if a rom doesn't work correctly, or if at all, if you use this no nag, then please do NOT go to the mame support site with issues with games, please only use if you understand that there will be no help from anyone at mamedev as you are using a modified version of mame.

Contents: mame.exe - Normal Mame with Nags removed. (Note mame no longer carries the 64 in its exe name changed by Devs in 0.229)

It's advisable to download the full mame official pack and install it, then just overwrite the exe with the replacement, this covers any changes the mame devs may have made to the support files.

After you have done this, make sure you copy the folders artwork, ctrlr, cheat, hlsl, ini, folders and the ini files from the root of your original mame folder, and move/copy them to the new install.  

If you are using your own installed/setup of mame then make sure you also set in the mame.ini  'Skip_gameinfo  1'

If you got Launchbox to setup mame for you when asked, you only need to replace the exe and play.

As some are not sure about  False Positives, and report a virus was detected, As goes for all versions i upload, they are all ran through virustotal before i upload, and if by any chance something did end up with an issue it would be noticed very quickly after upload and would be removed/restricted.

0.266 - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c3ee94ea7b7e02f4487cceb30f12a50d87ff08b7361494255edfb6a43088ff8a?nocache=1

All NEW versions of the No-Nag will be posted in this download thread only, if you wish to get the new releases every month, either follow myself or the thread, As the download section will not show any new releases.

Edited by MadK9
Updated Virustotal for 0.266 & Tags

What's New in Version 0.266   See changelog

Released

from r/mame

MAME 0.266 is ready just in time for the end of May. The first thing you’ll notice is that Taito F3 video emulation has been reimplemented, fixing numerous long-standing graphical issues. The dynamic range compression used by several Yamaha synthesisers seems to finally be understood, fixing audible distortion. Speaking of sound, a previously missing Game Boy Advance sound channel is now emulated.

Several additional members of Nokia’s MikroMikko 1 line of 8-bit business computers from the 1980s are now supported. In PC emulation, S3 ViRGE video accelerator emulation has been simplified and improved. A couple more cartridge types have been added for MSX home computers.

This release also adds plenty of software list items and arcade bootlegs. Lots of code has been cleaned up and modernised, with various bugs fixed along the way. We’ve also added a workaround for the regression in clang 18 that was causing build failures.

As always, you can read about all the changes in this release in the whatsnew.txt file

• Like 33
  • Thanks 32
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 8/13/2022 at 7:22 PM, sundogak said:

@WizardoThe 0.246 EXE works, so it is something on your setup.  If the skip_gameinfo setting is set to 1 then more than likely, you are pointing to wrong MAME.EXE and/or MAME.ini file, particularly if you used the LB MAME "all in one" setup.   

Hello,

If I import a full rom set (merged 0.246), and let the LB download the mame emulator and config everything itself, that should not be happening, right?

I followed all the instructions (replaced the exe, edited the ini file), and still it isn't working for me.

In Xmen, I get the romcheck screen, and it doesn't happen like in this video: 

Thank you for all the effort and support.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:50 AM, wenrro said:

Hello,

If I import a full rom set (merged 0.246), and let the LB download the mame emulator and config everything itself, that should not be happening, right?

I followed all the instructions (replaced the exe, edited the ini file), and still it isn't working for me.

In Xmen, I get the romcheck screen, and it doesn't happen like in this video: 

Thank you for all the effort and support.

Don't know, I don't use the LB MAME download feature, but I do know it likes to install MAME where LB wants it.  Ultimately, what said stands.  The no nag exe works, so if it isn't for you then issue with the INI file (improper command; errant character) and/or there is some other MAME EXE floating around that LB is using.  My recollection when tried the LB MAME feature is it sets the MAME.ini path specifically in the LB command line so might make sure that is pointing to version you edited.  Also, screenshot what you are referring to as "the romcheck" screen to make sure we are talking same thing. 

If you are using the LB Installed version of mame, there is no ini file for mame, so you do not need to add the skip_gameinfo 1, as this is already set for you by LB in the command line for mame.

There are some people confusing what this no nag actually does, and it only does one thing which is removing the information warning screen, this screen is still viewable by using the escape menu and selecting the warning information entry, if you do not see this entry then the game you are playing is emulated 100% correctly. All other popups within mame are turned off via the skip_gameinfo 1 from either the cmd line (This is automatically added if you told Launcbox to setup mame for you) or the mame.ini.

If you have replaced the exe with the matching version to your roms, and used the LB installed version of mame it will work with no extra steps.

Edited by MadK9
  • Like 1

Does this remove the bios / rom check screen when loading games? I'm not seeing any other nag screens but ETA Prime's video (he's a youtuber that uses this in one of his tutorials) shows him booting directly into X-men which mine doesn't. I still have the Rom chip check and then a cross grid calibration screen before the game starts. I've checked that Launchbox is pointing to MAME correctly, have the correct exe file, and correct ini setting. I'm using a fresh install of MAME 250. So maybe ETA Prime's video has a bit of clever editing to make the "no nag" do something it doesn't actually do? I'm hoping this post clears up some confusion as I've read through all the previous comments where others were having similar issues.

22 minutes ago, mrtr32 said:

1941 game still having a Nag screen!

1941 is 100% working.  Even without this MAME no-nag revision, you wouldn't get the "There are known problems with this system" message.  You sure it's not the System Information screen?  Can you share a screenshot?

5 hours ago, Jfortin said:

Hi,

I just updated my Mame set to 0.251. I would like to know if anyone has made a No-Nag version?

Regards,

You can download on insertmorecoins website.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ci2own said:

despite the posting it seems to be for MESS not the main MAME as far as I can tell. I do not see the "mame.exe" file that seems to be whats tin the archive from here and the only file that needs top be replaced. I have included screenshots of the directory for comparison.  As you can see from insert more coins there are several folders and a "mamemess64.exe"

1189571888_Screenshot2023-01-06125325.png.33ef889cb4ba2afe3ce31207323eeef9.png

where as with the file from here there is only a single file and as I mentioned it is "mame.exe"

2039053069_Screenshot2023-01-06125527.thumb.png.ed0ddb5a773106239704c3ad78a5b9fc.png

49 minutes ago, iDOMN8 said:

despite the posting it seems to be for MESS not the main MAME as far as I can tell. I do not see the "mame.exe" file that seems to be whats tin the archive from here and the only file that needs top be replaced. I have included screenshots of the directory for comparison.  As you can see from insert more coins there are several folders and a "mamemess64.exe"

1189571888_Screenshot2023-01-06125325.png.33ef889cb4ba2afe3ce31207323eeef9.png

where as with the file from here there is only a single file and as I mentioned it is "mame.exe"

2039053069_Screenshot2023-01-06125527.thumb.png.ed0ddb5a773106239704c3ad78a5b9fc.png

Sorry, i don't use the nonag version. But insertmorecoins will post the MAME + MESS one soon (is the last he compile).

3 hours ago, iDOMN8 said:

Sure you didn't click the wrong link.

I grabbed it yesterday and it was the arcade version.

Capture.PNG

I did just check the link again and this was just updated 4 hours ago so no it wasn't there before. It still has more than just just the .exe there and,  it is also named "mamearcade64.exe" not "mame.exe" which is what the file downloaded from here is.

16 hours ago, iDOMN8 said:

I did just check the link again and this was just updated 4 hours ago so no it wasn't there before. It still has more than just just the .exe there and,  it is also named "mamearcade64.exe" not "mame.exe" which is what the file downloaded from here is.

Well maybe the file was updated, but I definitely got it earlier. It's there now for you that's all that matters.

The name really isn't important. (for arcade titles)  It's only named that to distinguish that it is only supports the arcade games and that their separate MESS build has the other systems. Naming it the same as the MAME binary that has support for both would lead to a lot of confusion. You can just rename mamearcade64.exe to mame.exe so you don't have to change anything in LB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Well maybe the file was updated, but I definitely got it earlier. It's there now for you that's all that matters.

The name really isn't important. (for arcade titles)  It's only named that to distinguish that it is only supports the arcade games and that their separate MESS build has the other systems. Naming it the same as the MAME binary that has support for both would lead to a lot of confusion. You can just rename mamearcade64.exe to mame.exe so you don't have to change anything in LB.

I wondered if simply renaming it would do the trick as I had done so with other programs in the past though I wasn't sure if there was anything that would have affected it working correctly with LaunchBox. I appreciate your response.

1 hour ago, iDOMN8 said:

I wondered if simply renaming it would do the trick

See below (from above). ;) 

1 hour ago, Headrush69 said:

You can just rename mamearcade64.exe to mame.exe so you don't have to change anything in LB.

Any possibility @MadK9 could share the steps, source code or repo so we could compile our own no nag version of MAME? This way at least we can keep the candle lit should you not want to continue to do so?

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

https://www.mamedev.org/release.php

Source code is on their website.

That is understood, but I've been reviewing the source and flying blind when it comes to building a custom no nag version. This is why I was asking for guidance on how to do so as I can't find any references elsewhere. 

Edited by gavatron