LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Jason Carr said Alright, new version is up. I reordered some things and it didn't seem to make much difference on my systems but obviously it made a big difference for @emko. Hopefully this version resolves the performance issues.
Thanks works perfect now :) that's really strange that we both have different results but what ever you did it fix the problem for me.

Great to hear. I did a lot of experimentation to try and help with performance; that was one thing that didn't seem to cause any harm so I never switched it back. I think it may have been because your library is just a lot bigger than mine.

I dont know were to add this so...ill just ask not been big on the beta thing..till i saw the 6.0 beta for big box..... this is the first bigbox upgrade and iv got to say it's amazing....thanks jason im a life member lic. but i feel its time to donate! for all your work i dont need to. but i want to....how can i do this? iv got 30.00 on it how can i do it,, and others to.. thanks to all the others helping to..SentaiBrad you have gotten back to me many time now also.. i feel people should support the things they love.. after a hard day of dealing with the public..at least i can come home and relax and escape from the world in my bigbox... peace..

Wow, thank you Eric. We're still working on adding the option for donations somewhere. If you want to just purchase a regular license to gift to a friend (or even just to throw away lol), that'd be awesome. I really do appreciate it. :)

shinra358 said I think you meant exit while locked not exit while unlocked. It's in bigbox wrong as well. Pardon me if this was said earlier for I didn't read the various posts that were made when I saw this notice in email.
Thanks, shinra, good catch. Will fix for the next beta. :)

OR...lol. I should have thought about this earlier. This works too: https://plasso.co/jason@unbrokensoftware.com That will allow you to specify any amount. Thanks again, Eric. We can give that link out to anyone who wants to donate.

so the Q: is who wants a free year lic.......just pm me for 2 days..ill i will toss it in a hat and pm you back.. and we I'll set you up with your name and email since i don't need it...lol and ill pay for it... please keep in mind im just trying to help some one that is on the fence.....and that loves retro gaming.... join the best...........and enjoy... once iv picked ill pm Jason to pay for it...thanks you guys are on it..your options sound great...hope this will work.. my one lill contest....thanks

I am really liking the new cache refresh in the options menu as it sure beats trying to figure out which cache file to delete in the launchbox folder to get new images to show up. Thanks for the update!

Thanks all! New beta is out that adds the metadata updates from the LaunchBox Games Database that I've been promising. Metadata inside LaunchBox should no longer be out of date as compared to the LaunchBox Games Database. Here's how it works: - LaunchBox still *only* uses the local metadata database when searching for and importing games. This helps to keep the import processes much, much quicker than if we went out to the web for every search request. - New local metadata databases are available for download from the LaunchBox Games Database every day. We may update this in the future to provide updated downloads more than once a day, but for now we're sticking to once a day while we test things out. The metadata is newly updated every night at 1:00 AM PST. - When running the import or metadata update processes, updated metadata is automatically downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database before the import process proceeds, but only if your local metadata is out of date. - When searching for a game in the Add/Edit window, if your local metadata is out of date, you'll be prompted to update before proceeding with the search. You can say yes or no to this prompt, and if you say no, then LaunchBox will just search against your local outdated metadata. - The metadata downloads right now are about 12 MB in size. Yes, ALL of the data in our database fits into a nice little 12 MB package. Pretty unreal. - If you're confused about images, they always come directly from the website, of course. It's only the metadata that is stored locally for searches. I think that should do it. Let me know if anyone hits any bugs. :)

Also, a quick update. Here are my goals for next week: - Replace the current Horizontal Boxes with Details view in Big Box with the same type of thing, but using CoverFlow instead of the ugly/crappy current solution for the horizontal boxes. This should address the issue that @bundangdon and @wallmachine mention above. - Add a new view for the games list that uses the new wheel view with game clear logos, much like the platforms wheel. - Prepare for and hopefully put out the official 6.0 release. Let me know if there's anything else you guys think we really need before we release 6.0.