LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

The blurry-ness of the CoverFlow boxes is mostly just to help with performance (the images are indeed smaller than the way they're displayed). I wasn't sure how well it would perform on lower end systems, so I compromised a bit. I can probably put in a setting to change this though.

Really like the new views. Like the coverflow view a bit more with one minor niggle. I prefer to use logos instead of box art and it seems the reflection is a bit too prominent. Would it be possible to make it a bit more transparent or make it user adjustable? lbpic.jpg

Jason Carr said The blurry-ness of the CoverFlow boxes is mostly just to help with performance (the images are indeed smaller than the way they're displayed). I wasn't sure how well it would perform on lower end systems, so I compromised a bit. I can probably put in a setting to change this though.
That would be great if you could put in a setting to make them cleaner looking. That was one of the things I disliked about hyperspin is it seems like so much of the artwork is blurry due to hyperspin's max 1024 x 768 capability.

Saw a vid that said send your ideas to the forum about coverflow positionings. I wrote under that video but thought Id give a visual to the description here: http://s6.postimg.org/t6z6yskxp/IMAG1610.jpg -I dub thee, Coverflow II. -The highlighter would stay in the same place while only the game boxes move up and down. -When a gamebox is highlighted, said gamebox turns into a video. -Switching back to gamebox when it is highlighted would require a button press. With a 2nd button that would switch between back/front cover. -Background and vid will only show when a game is highlight for 2 seconds or more. -Text of the game name would be displayed beside the highlighted game in the right area -Squigly line reps the bg pic -Game boxes in the bg will be shadowed (same with game names) -game description would require button press and would be shown in a medium sized box in the lower right hand corner of screen -game box and vid would be a lil bit bigger than that (just a proto design). Id' say big enough to cover 1/3 of the screen or either 2/6ths of the screen. **what do you think jason and/or sentai?

SentaiBrad said An image quality slider or quality check boxes should be fine right?
Yes,that should be fine. A slider or a check box would be great in the options menu. That way users with not as powerful pc's can reduce the quality so they don't lose performance and those of us with a more powerful pc can raise the level way up to enjoy the best quality image.

BlackSol said Like the coverflow view a bit more with one minor niggle. I prefer to use logos instead of box art and it seems the reflection is a bit too prominent. Would it be possible to make it a bit more transparent or make it user adjustable?
I agree that would be a good setting. A lot of programs that use the "cover flow" style have a reflection transparency setting so you can make it less intrusive. I would also like to see some of that space above the images occupied by some of the useful game info.

Jason, I know we are mostly focused on Big Box, but could you add the "arrange by" button to List View? Alternatively, make the columns in list view editable (and sticky) with all the "arrange by" options as options for columns? List View is kind of crippled as far as sorting.

Jason Carr said @Drybonz, what video playback engine are you using in LaunchBox, just in case that is the problem? I haven't yet been able to replicate this either.
I can replicate it every time. I tried to take a video of it today, but Fraps will only capture the video of the video in game details instead of the whole desktop to show the crash. I think Fraps thinks the embedded video is a fullscreen video. Not sure if that is a problem with the way it is displayed in LB or a problem/limitation with Fraps. However, I did go into options after that and turn off the video display in the game details bar and I am then able to scroll all the way down with the scrollbar without LB crashing.

Thank you all. I like the idea for CoverFlow reflection opacity options, and @shinra358, I love that view idea. Hopefully I can tackle something at least similar to that before 6.0. We'll see how things go. :) @Drybonz, thanks for the video. What video playback engine are you using (sorry if you've already answered that)? Do you have the same problem if you switch engines?

New beta is out with the fruits of the live development session yesterday (and of course some work today as well). Both new views have alpha-numeric navigation and there's a new option to switch between views with a hotkey (you'll have to configure it in options because it's blank by default). As typical this early on in the beta releases, all is still up for discussion. I plan to spend the rest of the week on Big Box development and then get started on LaunchBox Games Database integration with LaunchBox itself next week. Obviously there is lots more development to do from all fronts before we drop 6.0. I will also be developing live on Twitch tomorrow (Wednesday) morning at 9:30 AM PST. Yesterday's live session went really well so I'm excited to do it again. :)

Reporting in some observations from the latest beta. - The database didn't correctly recognize Ultima VI from the SNES library. It's probably the filename causing the hitch: "Ultima - The False Prophet (USA)". - I downloaded a x480 movie clip from EmuMovies for this game and get some weird behavior. If I load BixBox and navigate down to the game, it will load the clip. However if I then go into a game and exit, the clip will no longer play. It will simply play the clip from the last game highlighted (for example the clip from UN Squadron will continue playing even though the rest of the Ultima VI assets have loaded once I highlighted the game). edit: all videos play correctly every time in LaunchBox desktop application. - Before this beta I was getting a lot of delay when first opening BigBox and loading the first clip (Actraiser). The delay appears to have been reduce a fair bit; still some choppiness for about 5-10 seconds of browsing but definitely better.

The new beta seems to be having issues with games recently added to the LaunchBox GamesDB; for instance, "Happily Ever After" for the NES, and "Mad Panic Coaster" and "Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force" for the PSX. It seems almost like it's only checking the LocalDB and Wikipedia? Also, happy 2 year anniversary on the beta testing thread!

FistyDollars, we've actually only been using the local XML database ever since we moved away from TheGamesDB.net. I've just been updating it from the live data every time we put out a new version of LaunchBox. Fixing that is the first order of business next week when I get back into LaunchBox development (still on Big Box). Basically, I plan to provide a daily metadata update from the live data instead of constantly searching the live data directly, because it's just so much faster to do it all locally.