LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Hi @Soundtrackgeek, thanks. That's different than I'm seeing; the list view is sorted correctly for me in my tests, so if you can put up some pictures that would be helpful. Thanks. :) One thing to note is that if you have manually specified values for the Sort Title field for your games, then that will override the defaults. Also, in the list views, the titles will show up as "The Astyanax"; we don't move "the" to the end. However, the sort should work as expected.

Jason Carr said Hi @Soundtrackgeek, thanks. That's different than I'm seeing; the list view is sorted correctly for me in my tests, so if you can put up some pictures that would be helpful. Thanks. :) One thing to note is that if you have manually specified values for the Sort Title field for your games, then that will override the defaults. Also, in the list views, the titles will show up as "The Astyanax"; we don't move "the" to the end. However, the sort should work as expected.
Ah, so the Box Art View ignores the "The" while the List View uses them. That explains it. Would it be possible to add an option to "ignore" the "The" in list view as well as I use it a lot to get an overview of titles and its a shame if I cant see all the "B" titles for example under "B" instead of some being under "T".

Hey all, per the issues with the new games not downloading images because of the missing database ID, I believe I have it resolved, but you'll need to wait until a new metadata database is downloaded in LaunchBox before they'll start working. They should work after the next download. :)

wallmachine said When updating to the new Beta LaunchBox crashes. It downloads the update when its done it says LaunchBox is open and can't continue and crashes with a send/don't send dialog box.
Close LaunchBox from the Windows Task Manager, open up the Updates folder in your LaunchBox folder. Sort them by date because the names are generated strings of text, and double click the newest installer matching the date you downloaded the Beta. Install over your current install of LB.

Jason Carr said Hey all, per the issues with the new games not downloading images because of the missing database ID, I believe I have it resolved, but you'll need to wait until a new metadata database is downloaded in LaunchBox before they'll start working. They should work after the next download. :)
Yup, it works after downloading today's metadata. Thanks as always, Jason!

Wow, big win guys. spektor56 on YouTube mentioned something that has really helped the VLC implementation in Big Box. I jumped on it and it fixed a lot of the VLC issues (performance, black bars, lack of transitions). We'll need to test this for stability (I have no idea what might come up now unfortunately), but the VLC implementation is a whole lot better than it was. Also, I haven't tested this in a 32-bit Windows environment so if anyone has one up and running and can test it, that'd be great. The new beta should be up shortly.

Alright, new beta is up. Basically, I replaced the VLC interop library with higankanshi's Meta.Vlc - https://github.com/higankanshi/Meta.Vlc It's a much better library and is better suited to Big Box. This is one reason why the live development sessions are productive. spektor56 just chimed in in the YouTube comments with a solution that he knew about that I didn't...and it ended up making a huge difference. Woot.

wallmachine said
SentaiBrad said
wallmachine said When updating to the new Beta LaunchBox crashes. It downloads the update when its done it says LaunchBox is open and can't continue and crashes with a send/don't send dialog box.
Close LaunchBox from the Windows Task Manager, open up the Updates folder in your LaunchBox folder. Sort them by date because the names are generated strings of text, and double click the newest installer matching the date you downloaded the Beta. Install over your current install of LB.
This happens almost to every update I try to update to... is this the fix for the problem? because I saw you mention it before to someone else.
It's not really a solution as much as it is a workaround. What that means is that Windows for some reason won't let go of the LaunchBox process for one reason or another. We theroize it's because of caching. Using the installers in the updates folder is the next logical step because they get stored here everytime the downloader downloads a new update, so that only makes sense.

Would it be possible to change the naming of the installers to actually show the release level of the file, rather than the random string of numbers and letters that it appears to use now? It would make it much easier to see which one to use when there are issues.

testing out VLC so far "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Meta.Vlc.Wpf.VlcPlayer.VideoDisplayCallback(IntPtr opaque, IntPtr picture)" happened while i was going up and down a games list VLC is looking very good now :) you went from thinking to get rid of it to making it work just as good as WMP Thanks spektor56

Got an ddl error "Libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll" on BB 6 b12 while using game list horizontal boxes with details. The message appears as soon as you select a game, if I hit OK the message keeps appearing, or BB freezes, the only option is to force close with task manager. On the other hand, inside LB, videos seem to be working fine. Not sure if this is a VLC ddl related or directX. I'm using Win7 Ultimate x64, this was not happening with previous betas (b9 was the latest I was using).error.jpg