LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch in Launchbox

nmc

In most cases, you actually can't just change a file extension, unless it is functionally the same with only the file extension being changed for a single program, so sfc must be a variant of bin if that's possible. Yea, the only file extensions I've seen for SNES are smc and sfc, while bin I've only seen used for Genesis Roms (excluding discs obviously). There is a site that tries to be an....... emulation getaway... if you catch my drift, and they're horrendous. I've used them for literally 16 years, but recently stopped unless I can't find something anywhere else. Almost every single one of their disc images are bad, and that's astounding. Don't get me wrong, they still work in some emulators, but when you're dealing with RetroArch / Mednafen that wants a damn near, if not an exactly perfect rip of a disc, then it wont do. Ironically, their own forums introduced me to No-Intro sets about 5 years ago now, and ever since then specifically I've just done more and more research until I could be called competent in pretty much all emulation, which then led here. xD So I have a special place for that website in my heart, it was my gateway, but their download section (not the forums) has almost no regulations. It's a damn mess (no MESS joke this time).

On 26/10/2016 at 2:48 PM, SentaiBrad said:

SNES no requiere BIOS, por lo que es generalmente mucho más sencilla. Mientras que descargó el bsnes núcleo equilibrado (el núcleo sugerido para SNES), se establece el nombre del núcleo en la pestaña plataformas asociado, el nombre de la plataforma SNES allí en el menú plataformas asociado coincide con el nombre de su sistema en LaunchBox, y su SNES juegos están utilizando para lanzar RetroArch usted debe ser bueno para ir. Si desea ayuda adicional, puede seguir a cabo tutoriales si lo desea. Es más de un tutorial para principiantes, por lo que podría mostrar un montón de cosas que ya conoce, pero es el único tutorial de SNES que tenemos. Hice el tutorial de arranque con SNES a propósito.

It was a type error. in the first column configuration platform, he had incorrect title. Thanks for the help.-

17 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Por experiencia, si esto está sucediendo con SNES, comprobar la extensión ROM. Si no es bin, o SFC, obtener otros set.As a no hacer suposiciones, se comprimen ROMs? Están tosec? Algunos conjuntos vienen con cremallera y tienen como 5 versiones de la misma rom en el zip, y eso es un problema. 

if my roms are zipped. what I did is to enable the box that asks rom decompress before starting on platform configuration. and it works perfect.......

• 3 months later...

Hello,

In my built of Launchbox and Retroarch I found myself facing a "wall" when running MSX, MSX 2, MSX 2+, because Retroarch as the bluemsx_libretro core set to MSX 2+ and that crash a lot of floppys for the MSX, to make those games work, I changed the core specs to MSX2 but now the MSX 2+ wont work proprely or not work at all.

How can I change this acording to platfom in the comand line inside the Launchbox making Retroarch change the core settings.

Edited by Imortus.san

I never really bothered with MSX in RetroArch, that's why in the tutorial I had used non-RetroArch stuff. There are some sub commands, for example like the Super Game Boy stuff, but I'm not sure what it is for BlueMSX. Try searching up BlueMSX command lines for RetroArch, and if there are commands for each MSX system, set those commands to the proper system in the associated platforms.

BlueMSX needs to identify the version of MSX and if the game is a cartridge or a floppy disk, apart from having to separate the versions, this is simply too much unnecessary work, so I lost a bit more time in Retroarch and I solved the problem.

I saved a new configuration file for the core bluemsx_libretro.dll making the bluemsx_libretro.cfg, then I duplicated the cfg file and rename the two files to bluemsx1_libretro.cfg and bluemsx2_libretro.cfg, after that I edited the field core_options_path = "" inside both cfg files, making it core_options_path = "retroarch-core-options.cfg and core_options_path = "retroarch-core-options2.cfg, and the code inside each file retroarch-core-options.cfg:

retroarch-core-options.cfg

bluemsx_msxtype = "MSX"
bluemsx_vdp_synctype = "Auto"
bluemsx_ym2413_enable = "enabled"

retroarch-core-options2.cfg

bluemsx_msxtype = "MSX2+"
bluemsx_vdp_synctype = "Auto"
bluemsx_ym2413_enable = "enabled"

On Launchbox in the emulator settings on the platforms I made this config:

Microsoft MSX    -L "cores\bluemsx_libretro.dll" -c "config\bluemsx1_libretro.cfg"    True
Microsoft MSX2    -L "cores\bluemsx_libretro.dll" -c "config\bluemsx2_libretro.cfg"    True
Microsoft MSX2+    -L "cores\bluemsx_libretro.dll" -c "config\bluemsx2_libretro.cfg"    True

Now my MSX games all load with no problem for all 3 versions of MSX.

• 2 months later...

In the Tutorial video, it shows what to put at the start of the "Associated" line for Snes, however it doesn't show the full line (After the C- )

Sega worked without having to do anything, but I assume the associated in the Video link is for the balanced Core of retroarch, but then that doesn't make sense why it shows to use the Accuracy version? Does that use the same association line please?

I have the Accuracy core downloaded, and can play games fine in Retroarch, but when I try to run games through Launchbox, it fails... so I'd guess it would be that associated line of code messing things up?

This is what I currently have in there:

-L "cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll"  

Thanks for any guidance.

(have to say running Sega through Retroarch is 100% better than KegaFusion, much more accurate and faster)

ahhhh I see what's happened here.

Yes it's the core difference. I watched the tutorial explaining that I needed to get the accuracy version, which emulates everything 100% and I have a powerful gaming laptop so I went for accuracy, but the associated in the tutorial  when I skipped ahead to that part shows the association with the balance version. tut :) makes sense!

Why do people use Balance though? Surely Accuracy would be the better one to use? I mean 3ghz processors are pretty standard now right?

Thankyou!

Yeah Accuracy is the better choice if you got enough power and you got the special chip dumps to go with it. Generally speaking I recommend the balanced mercury core since the mercury core doesn't need special chips and is a little more forgiving on the cpu side and you only lose out on some shadows in one specific game that virtually no one will ever play, Air Strike Patrol.