LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator Settings for All Platforms

Jason Carr

38 minutes ago, Zeaede said:

What i would like to see, if those who got many systems up and running

Here is my MAME one to take a gander at. It has so much on it I had to take three screenshots:

image.thumb.png.b983257caff6e72de34ec6d6b7e5264c.pngimage.thumb.png.135ece94c1c0466cfef0f5fcbafdb05b.pngimage.thumb.png.d1f7e4b2a7fa2e0dc9481fe9b60504b5.pngAs you can see I have changed some systems to other emulators and whilst most of those work some do not.

Edited by Dane

1 minute ago, Zeaede said:

A question about MESS BIOS 

Is it just to add folder where BIOS is (to me i have them in retroarch/system) or does them need to be placed anywhere in mame/mess folder?

If using Retroarch I place BIOS files in the system folder within the Retroarch directory. If I am using MAME/MESS I have them as a part of the ROMset inside the MAME ROMs folder. Is that what you mean or do you mean if you are using a MAME core in Retroarch?

1 minute ago, Dane said:

If using Retroarch I place BIOS files in the system folder within the Retroarch directory. If I am using MAME/MESS I have them as a part of the ROMset inside the MAME ROMs folder. Is that what you mean or do you mean if you are using a MAME core in Retroarch?

Ok so you need to have the bios in the roms folder in mame/mess? You can't go into mame/mess settings point folder to retroarch/system folder using same bios folder?

1 minute ago, Zeaede said:

Ok so you need to have the bios in the roms folder in mame/mess? You can't go into mame/mess settings point folder to retroarch/system folder using same bios folder?

When you obtain a full MAME set of ROMs all the BIOS files are included and you do not have to do anything special. If you are using a MAME core in Retroarch just point to your MAME ROMs as per normal and it will find the BIOS files in there (if you have a full MAME ROMset. I guess it all depends if you have acquired a full MAME set or just grabbed some ROMs individually. Someone can correct me if I am incorrect but playing MAME games directly through MAME or through Retroarch you just have to have the BIOS files in your MAME ROMs folder and do not have to manually point to BIOS files at all. The only thing I have ever done manually is to type the command lines as per my previous post if using MAME to play another system that it supports.

You can put the bios where you want and point to that folder in the mame.ini with the rompath line and you can even have multiple locations for files if you want to further customize it. Just separate the different paths with a semi colon, put quotes around it if there are spaces in the path.

Example:

rompath                   "roms;path\to\roms1\;path\to\roms\2\"

5 hours ago, Dane said:

I do not know which is the best as in compatibility but I have had best luck with MAMEUI64 myself.

I had a look at it, like the ui of it

It's easy to see suported computers and consoles

If i want to run ZX Spectrum with it, how do you get it to support roms?

Tried with one game but it was requesting "spectrum.rom" i have all spectrum emulators and bios but couldn't find anything with that name?

I just use the command line version of Mame and anytime I have a problem with a game I just open the command line and run:

mame64.exe gamerom 

replacing gamerom with the actual name of the zip file for the game, it will tell me in the command prompt window what it is missing and where it is expecting to find it

Here's an example  using an arcade rom for Street FIghter EX, you can see that it's looking for sfeu_04b.sh but cannot find it and it's looking in sfexu, sfex, coj1000c and since it's not seeing it either of those files it doesn't work.

2018-04-24 18_28_32-C__WINDOWS_system32_cmd.exe.png

• 4 weeks later...

xm cart is used as a substitute for high score cart, enhance games music that utilize POKEY/YAMAHA, extra ram and more expansion port. Some commercial games are enhanced with this cart but most games that take advantage of this feature are hacks and homebrews in this page https://atariage.com/forums/topic/173454-7800-expansion-module-xm-hardware-game-details-782016/