LaunchBox Community Forums

Moderator Guidelines and Contributor Rules

Jason Carr

If you accidentally accepted 1 or 2 and rejected the rest, we can probably assume it was an error. However, if someone accepted them over and over and over again, then it's probably not an error or the mod is not paying attention. Either way isn't good. The fact that almost no other item has a problem with being accepted or rejected properly based on the Guidelines though and it's ONLY nudity that is having this recurring problem there is just someone who doesn't care. There is no way for us to force moderators in to making sure they read the guidelines, but it seems like we're going to have to come up with a solution. For the record too, we don't have a problem with nudity, however we are running a Database that is open to EVERYONE and Families. Until we put the proper control in to the hands of parents or guardians we have to take a bit of responsibility on our part.

• 4 weeks later...
FistyDollars said
SentaiBrad said I would like to remind everyone to try and follow the Guidelines as best as possible. I requested the deletion of two image with nudity and someone rejected those. Those need to be accepted.
Just had a similar issue when I was going through the arcade flyers for some "Adult" arcade games and flagging anything with nudity for deletion - 0 approvals, 2 rejections so far, and I assume that the deletion will be rejected. I don't personally even agree with the nudity policy, but if it's the policy, I'll do my damnedest to make sure it's enforced; but I can't do that if other mods don't follow the rules. We really need to have the ability to leave comments when requesting deletion of content.
I don't think this is a good idea for pre-existing content... It will be a lot of work finding / adding those images back (people might not have a copy) after the parental controls are added. It should only be enforced for new images IMO.

Name: Apple II Release Date: June 10, 1977 Developer: Apple Computer Manufacturer: Apple Computer Max Controllers: n/a CPU: MOS Technology 6502 Memory: 4-64KB Graphics: Internal Sound: PC Speaker Display: 280x192 Media: 5.25" Floppy Disk Overview: Famous for launching large-scale production by Apple Computer, the Apple II Computer was one of the first successful home personal computers. The system's success was due in large part to development by Steve Wozniak--aided by co-founder Steve Jobs--who formerly worked for Atari and is notable for having programmed the game "Breakout" in chips while still working for the arcade company. As an open platform, the Apple II computer series has had many games developed for it including "Zork" and "Ultima IV" as well as the famous Broderbund classics such as "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" and "Oregon Trail". Probably a bit wordy but, I think, gets the games heritage across. Especially since the Breakout design influenced development of the II.

SentaiBrad said
Bedwyr said Especially since the Breakout design influenced development of the II.
So wait... is this for the Apple 1 or 2?
The 2. He's on record in interviews as using his experience in making Breakout to improve the Apple machine and make it a better game system.

• 1 month later...
How are developers added to the list? Same for Publishers. I just added a puzzle game in my DOS collection, and neither were in the database. What information is needed, beyond the name? The game is Revelation! for DOS. It was developed by Teque London Ltd. and released by MicroLeague Multimedia, Inc., both of whom put out several other games.

• 2 weeks later...
@SentaiBrad @Jason - I know Brad's on forum hiatus, but any plans on making a video on the data base and what can be done/we can do to assist? The thing that got me about HS was the lack of a knowledge base and the acceptance of any help at all. I believe the plan was to have something like a DB to be synced from, but I never saw it close to coming to eventuate. I think the community could be a great source for this - and maybe include some HS content creators to boot.

• 5 weeks later...

Sure, whenever you can get around to it. I'm in no hurry. Just pencil me in on your schedule. Better yet, I'll have my people get with your people and we'll do lunch and discuss it.

Now that we've swapped snark, would it be too much trouble to make that available? I figured there was some magical unspoken reason why it was set the way it was.

I'm getting really frustrated with the way the whole LaunchBox web/forum/help/documentation system is set up; I can't seem to be able to find the information I need. I've synched my library with the DB collection and find that several of my games are missing and at least one was marked incorrectly. I'd like to be able to help with that, but I can't help if I can't figure out where to find the freakin instructions on helping. I'm nearly ready to give it up as a lost cause. I'm thinking maybe I'm just getting too old for this and I should just play with my database by myself.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chyatt6385 said:

Sure, whenever you can get around to it. I'm in no hurry. Just pencil me in on your schedule. Better yet, I'll have my people get with your people and we'll do lunch and discuss it.

Now that we've swapped snark, would it be too much trouble to make that available? I figured there was some magical unspoken reason why it was set the way it was.

I'm getting really frustrated with the way the whole LaunchBox web/forum/help/documentation system is set up; I can't seem to be able to find the information I need. I've synched my library with the DB collection and find that several of my games are missing and at least one was marked incorrectly. I'd like to be able to help with that, but I can't help if I can't figure out where to find the freakin instructions on helping. I'm nearly ready to give it up as a lost cause. I'm thinking maybe I'm just getting too old for this and I should just play with my database by myself.

Agreed, there should be an obvious link to the guidelines prominently placed in the LaunchBox GamesDB website. Or better yet, just a proper guidelines page. It's been a while now, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. 

And I didn't even realize you can't download the guidelines. That's kind of odd. (Hell, I'm tempted to just manually transcribe a copy, but I'd prefer to not have to)

Jason has been meaning to make it available on the Database directly, but hasn't gotten around to it yet. It probably wont be made available to download, and the only reason the link still works is cause Jason hasn't made the rules available on the site yet. When he does, it will go away.

Thank you guys very much. Sorry for lashing out; it's been a tense week for me in my personal life. I play with my cataloging my collections (books and games mostly) to help relax, which actually added to the frustration.

I noticed there's a wiki . . . And that's what I was really looking for to begin with. Any news on the development of it? Any help needed?

I know there's a plethora of videos available on YouTube, but not everybody is a visual learner, and when information in them goes out of date (like maybe the Retroarch videos?) the old vids never get removed. 

And lastly, for all the Steam games that don't have videos to download (love that new feature!), I've downloaded trailers -preferably from official sources - from YouTube and converted them to the proper format. Any ideas on how to handle those? Should they be contributed? Or should just the instructions on how to do so be enough?