LaunchBox Community Forums

Minimize to system tray

JL94x4

Hi. Im using Launchbox as a game launcher, but i'd like it to stay minimized in the system tray at all times, i've checked the settings and found that its not possible to do, is there a work around, or will the feature be added in future? This is by far the best game launcher on the market. Really considering the premium version, but i really need minimize to system tray. Thanks :)

Hi Jason. I've been using Razer Cortex which is just a game launcher. It minimizes to tray, and as my computer is left on 24/7 anytime i want to play a game i'd pop up Razor Cortex, and then load my game, the only problem is Cortex doesnt have game meta information etc. I'd like to use this like Cortex, but Launchbox is far better, feature wise.

• 3 weeks later...
Jason Carr said Ah, I see. So the compelling reason to hide it in the taskbar is so that you can keep it running all the time, but not have it get in the way. That makes sense...thanks. :)
I wonder if there is a way to reduce its resource usage when its minimized so that way you always have access to it on call, but it can let go of some of its resources? Edit: Maybe there could be conditions to trigger it too. Launch a game and it auto-minimizes and when the emulator is closed, reopen. I would also assume that this would be an option. Along with letting the program minimize in to your system tray as well.

Hey guys, this is on my list, but unfortunately it's not super high up there (have more pressing things like batch updating and collection management stuff that needs done). I'll do my best to work it in within the next couple of months, but unfortunately I can't make that a promise.

I would also like to cast my vote for an option to auto-minimize LB upon launching a game, either to the tray or the taskbar (options for both is highly welcome). I have two specific examples in mind: I have dual monitors, and they're widescreen, but I prefer to play old Nintendo ROMs in 4:3 aspect ratio. So if I have LaunchBox open and maximized on a wide-screen monitor, then launch a ROM, I'm seeing other games' box covers in the background. I prefer the clean look of just an NES or Game Boy game playing in a window and just my OS's wallpaper in the background. The other is when playing some DOSbox games, and in that case, the whole resolution of my monitor changes from high-definition to tiny-definition and LB gets resized and pushed over to monitor two... it'd be nice to have it auto-minimize before launching DOSBox.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but I'd also like a minimize to system tray feature since I usually keep launchbox open at all times and I'd love to be able to hide it. Has the feature been implemented yet and I can't find it or are there any plans in the near future for its implementation?

Hi @adelin07, this has not been implemented yet. Unfortunately it's not a commonly requested feature, so I've had to focus on more requested features to implement. We should make sure there's a ticket on Bitbucket for it (use the Issues/Requests link in the header), and then users can vote on the ticket. Go ahead and create a new ticket if you would because I don't think one exists yet, actually.

• 1 year later...

I seriously doubt this will be implemented after 4 years for one there are very few requests for it and as a 2nd note it wouldn't even be helpful for BB since the taskbar is hidden while the application runs. That being said I don't want to speak for Jason just I'm very doubtful that this is seen as an important feature addition.

3 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Have any of you who have requested this feature ever tried one of the many 'minimize to tray' utilities available for download?

Yeah, ive using RBTray for minimize all my apps. But Launchbox doesnt work.

I would love to see this implemented on the future versions, I think is not so difficult...

3 hours ago, sakt1moko said:

Yeah, ive using RBTray for minimize all my apps. But Launchbox doesnt work.

I would love to see this implemented on the future versions, I think is not so difficult...

Have you tried RBTray on the new LaunchBox Next app? It seems to allow most utilities that use global hooks into the interface. Also, if you change the border style to Windows style under Options/Theme, I think regular LaunchBox should now work w/RBTray. At least it seems to here.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:53 PM, dragon57 said:

Have you tried RBTray on the new LaunchBox Next app? It seems to allow most utilities that use global hooks into the interface. Also, if you change the border style to Windows style under Options/Theme, I think regular LaunchBox should now work w/RBTray. At least it seems to here.

Works mate. Thanks so much