LaunchBox Community Forums

Ahhh..., if you don't mind a 'potentially incriminating' question...

CadetStimpy

:) Personally, I tend to frown on piracy. That said, I'm not going to let some developer or publisher's poor decisions mandate whether or not I can play a game. I always make an honest effort to purchase a game, but if it's not available for sale anymore directly from the developer/publisher, I see nothing wrong with acquiring via "alternative" means. ;) I'm certainly not going to go hunt for old games on eBay; those purchases don't benefit the developer or the publisher one bit. So that's my rule of thumb. If I can purchase it directly from the developer/publisher, I most definitely will. Otherwise, it's fair game, and it's the developer's/publisher's fault for no longer selling the game. A lot of people on here will download, for example, every game that ever existed for SNES, or whatever other emulated platform, which is why their numbers are so high. This is surprisingly easy to do, though honestly I don't really see the benefit of having thousands of crappy games. I go for the best games on each platform, and usually stick to that.
  • Like 9

Yeah there are some extremely crappy games. I keep them around though just to have them so they are preserved in my library (some are so crappy its actually good for a laugh). The games for the older systems are so minuscule in size that it isn't even an issue keeping them.
  • Like 1

Well crappy games are what keep my show, RNG, interesting. The more games I have = the more shows I can make. Though... I haven't made a single video in a week or two. Just... yea. Otherwise, I agree with Jason. I deleted PS2 games off my Hard Drive once I owned a physical copy of it as well, since I sort of collect that era. However, I downloaded some of the games again for ease of use. I own the disc, but play the emulated version for several reasons. It can run better than the console could run it. Far better looking, especially in the case of PS1, PS2, Gamecube and Wii with Internal Resolution increasers. As well, it helps keep my consoles and games in good condition. I treat them well but just normal wear and tear will happen and sooner rather than later there will no longer be workable discs or carts and the ones that do work will command 3, 4, 5x as much as they do. Think about Earthbound's price if suddenly half of the carts went poof. Thankfully though we have the WiiU Virtual Console for that, but still, Assume we didn't. As for my Steam games, I own every single one. All -Checks- ... dear god... 1,526 of them. I think that doesn't count the DLC as some counts will include them because they are seperate items in the store unless you buy a Game of the Year or Collection version. http://steamcommunity.com/id/SentaiBrad/
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/25/2015 at 1:03 PM, Jason Carr said:

if it's not available for sale anymore directly from the developer/publisher, I see nothing wrong with acquiring via "alternative" means. ;) I'm certainly not going to go hunt for old games on eBay; those purchases don't benefit the developer or the publisher one bit. So that's my rule of thumb. If I can purchase it directly from the developer/publisher, I most definitely will. Otherwise, it's fair game,

i LOVE this quote! i feel the same way!  i also like to buy Indy games. because i know the money actually goes to the indy dev. not to some corp. Especially after watching that indy game movie  

• Like 1

well, I've been very faithful over the decades of gaming of supporting game devs by buying new when I can, which has been pretty often.

However, I do subscribe to the Pokerom syndrome, which is "Gotta collect 'em all." I have full romsets of pretty much everything and anything out there that is available mainly for archive purposes, but

also to make sure no gem goes unplayed.

• Like 3

Actually have a backup OS drive with no letter and another drive mounted to a folder because I am out of drive letters my Plex server is up to almost 600 TV series I have mostly complete collections of Marvel and DC comics plus many other independent publishers works also, Thousands of ebooks. Many Audio Books, early radio broadcasts of serialized shows (basically TV for the radio). Movies Music Music Videos sadly a to large selection of Adult Cinema some that goes back to the 70's and 80's. I am Derek and I'm a digital hoarder its better than being a herion addict. 

• Like 5

Wow...  I think I am going to become @DOS76 at some point.

stor1.pngstor2.png

"Black" is where I keep a copy of every DRM free game and album I ever buy in bundles.
"Blue" has the music and a lot of random crap.
"Seagate" is an old Seagate that's slowly dying.

Data, Black, Blue, and Green are all WD 4TB Black drives.

The NAS is 6 WD 6TB Red drives

I have 3 4TB WD MyBook and 1 3TB WD MyBook externals which I used to do backups on but are currently not being used due to the purchase of the NAS.

I currently store my roms on my NAS and that seems OK so far, but I am still setting everything up.  My LaunchBox is really slow due to the library size but that's in part because I am still cleaning things.

I have over 2K paid games on Steam.  I believe in paying developers for their work when possible.  I also believe in archiving and do my best to store things.

• Like 2