LaunchBox Community Forums

Altirra help?

DOS76

36 minutes ago, Patham said:

Same here, works great in Altirra, cartridge ROM converted to .bin, mother ship down on the first shot 1st sector, ditto on the 2nd sector. Then I quit :)

Side note, I've noticed a lot of Atari 8-bit stuff is missing correct images and metadata. I've been gathering stuff and will send it to the LaunchBox database if anyone is interested.

Huh, strange. I guess I just have a bad rom because I even google'd about the issue and found some discussion that the game was busted on both emulators. Thanks!

ok thanks for the info!

For some games you need a kb anyway, i just played Agent USA, one of my favorite titles from that ancient time (you need a kb in Agent USA) aaaah memories

I still have both hardware at home, Atari 400 and 800 and some XL, i dont use them, they are only for watching hehe :-D

56 minutes ago, Nedo said:

I just started to use Altirra for my Atari 800 XL games, they start without problems from Launchbox, but how can i exit a game back to Launchbox without using the mouse, i miss something hmmm

If the Controller Automation close function doesn't work with Altirra you could go to your emulator entry for it in LB, go to the AutoHotkey tab, and enter the following:

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

The Controller Automation close function will work at that point. Keep in mind though that 1) if ESC is a key you need to use to navigate the UI this isn't going to work, because now pressing ESC will exit the emulator and 2) exiting by this method is actually force-closing the application so if it saves settings on exit they won't be saved when you do this. Atari 800, by default, only saves them when you manually tell it to save your settings - I'm not sure how Altirra does it.

This isn't necessarily something I'm recommending, but it is a workaround for getting the close function to work in situations where it doesn't normally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patham said:

@Zombeaver Thanks for that, it works for me in Altirra. This will also come in handy for another emulator I use (can't think of which now) that I have to <ctrl-alt-delete> to get out of.

Sure, no problem! CCS64 is the emulator I use for C64 and controller automation's close function doesn't work with it - I can't actually use the above script in that situation though because you do need to use Esc for navigating the emulator's UI. For it I use the following script, which closes it when I press the End key:

$End::
{
}

What would actually be better is to create an AHK script that uses a combination of controller buttons to send the specific key or combination of keys that the emulator uses to close normally. For CCS64 that's Alt+F4 and for Atari 800 it's F9. I'm not enough of an AHK wizard to do that though haha. Maybe @ckp can help work some magic.

2 minutes ago, Nedo said:

@Zombeaver thank you that worked!!! :D

No problem!

• Like 1

On 21/02/2017 at 4:19 PM, Patham said:

Same here, works great in Altirra, cartridge ROM converted to .bin, mother ship down on the first shot 1st sector, ditto on the 2nd sector. Then I quit :)

Side note, I've noticed a lot of Atari 8-bit stuff is missing correct images and metadata. I've been gathering stuff and will send it to the LaunchBox database if anyone is interested.

Ive started doing the same, Ive got the tosec of the atr games scanned in and am still working through A, maybe we she colaborate so we dont repeat ourselves, shall we split the alphabet up :D  Oh and this thread is all my fault anyway, that comment mentioning altirra on the x68000 youtube video was me lol

Edited by zannyuk

Here's the Autohotkay script i use with Altirra and maps various functions (quit, warp, save state, ...) to joypad buttons:

#NoEnv

; Change Disk
4Joy2::
   Send !{enter}
   Sendinput {Ctrl Down}
   Sendinput {1}
   Sendinput {Ctrl Up}
   WinWait, Attach disk image
   WinWaitClose
   Send !{enter}
Return

; Warp mode On/Off
4Joy15::
   Send !{q}
Return

; Load State
4Joy18::
   Send !{enter}
   Sendinput {Alt Down}
   Sendinput {F}
   Sendinput {Alt Up}
   Send {Down 8}
   Send {Enter}
   WinWait, Load
   WinWaitClose
   Send !{enter}
Return

; Save State
4Joy19::
   Send !{enter}
   Sendinput {Alt Down}
   Sendinput {F}
   Sendinput {Alt Up}
   Send {Down 9}
   Send {Enter}
   WinWait, Save
   WinWaitClose
   Send !{enter}
Return

; Pause
4Joy20::
   Send {p}
Return

; Exit
4Joy17::
   Send {ESC}
Return

Note: Just replace all Joy references with your own joystick number and button number. For example: 4joy20 in my script is button 20 on Joystick 4 (i have four controllers connected)

• Like 2

Thanks @Crush

I've actually been doing some reading today on how to do a few things in AHK. I think these should do what I want but I'll need to test them tonight. I want Back + Left bumper on my 360 controller to send an Alt+F4 input for CCS64 and F9 for Atari 800. I think these are right. This was an image someone on the AHK message board posted in response to a similar question someone had asked.

Joy5:: ;you have to press Joy7 first

If !GetKeyState("Joy7")

send {alt down}
send {F4}
send {alt up}

Return

Joy5:: ;you have to press Joy7 first

If !GetKeyState("Joy7")

send {F9}

Return

• Like 1

I ended up figuring it out after some testing (it's actualy "2joy" in my case) and some confusion - the script itself was correct (I tested it as a standalone script and could close the Windows calculator with it) but it would seem that for some reason CCS64 won't accept the simulated alt+f4 input. So I still have to use the process close, but at least now it's mapped to a combination of joystick buttons rather than a keyboard key.

#NoEnv

Run, X:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe /hide
2Joy5:: ;you have to press 2Joy7 first

If !GetKeyState("2Joy7")

Return
        Run, X:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe

Return

This is going to help to figure out your controller's buttons/axis: http://html5gamepad.com/

Some controllers are numbering buttons from 0 others from 1, so all your buttons reported from that site may be one higher or one lower when you use them to program with AHK. For example Button 20 i am using in my script is reported as Button 19 using http://html5gamepad.com/

10 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

...CCS64 won't accept the simulated alt+f4 input...

Sometimes the keypress happens so fast that the program is unable to catch it. In that case you use this (from my Retroarch AHK setup):

; Pause
4Joy20::
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
   Send {p}
Return

SetKeyDelay keeps the button pressed for 110ms so the prog has enough time to read it.

Edited by Crush
  • Like 1

Hey, you're right! That works! Nice.

#NoEnv

Run, X:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe /hide

If !GetKeyState("2Joy7")

Return
        Run, X:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Nomousy\nomousy.exe
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
send {alt down}
send {F4}
send {alt up}

Return

• Like 1

Now I just need to figure out how to map my Right Trigger... I'm not having much luck there. I know it's analog so that complicates things but I can't figure out what I should be using for it... the test script shows it as "Z000" but I'm getting an "invalid hotkey" message. Everything else in here works (for Atari 800) except that. Any idea?

#NoEnv

;Option
2Joy7::
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
Send {F2}
Return

;Select
2Joy3::
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
Send {F3}
Return

;Start
2Joy8::
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
Send {F4}
Return

;Warp
2JoyZ000::
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
Send {F12}
Return

;Exit

If !GetKeyState("2Joy7")

Return
send {F9}

Return

• 3 years later...
On 4/9/2016 at 7:54 AM, DOS76 said:

Ok based on the mention in this weeks tutorial I've discovered Altirra and to tell you the truth I'm pretty impressed by it except for one issue you have to enter a command line for each game giving it a cartmapper value. 4 is the value for 32K games 6 is the value for 16k two chip games and 16 is the value for 16k one chip games and these aren't the only values just the most popular ones.

I think this thread can be useful:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/259866-help-with-altirra-271-and-pop-up-box-of-select-cartridge-mapper/

• 1 month later...