LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezels

Drybonz

Very nice @Drybonz, the bezel looks great too. I have the Rec Room Masters Xtension: http://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension_Two_Player_Control_Board_Emulator_Edition_p/rm-xt-sd-board-ee.htm I'd like to add a spinner to it but I'm sort of afraid, because I'm horrible at that kind of stuff.

Drilling plexiglass can be VERY difficult, it is easy to have the bit catch and crack the surface. The best bit to use is a forstner bit. 41uchkZqQhL._SX300_.jpg I have made several arcade control panels and if you use one of these carefully you should be able to do it with a hand drill if you go slowly.

Yeah, a forstner bit is best... I found out that I didn't have a 1 1/8 forstner just before I started so I ended up using a spade bit (which I definitely would not be comfortable using on plexi), which worked on the mdf in the X-Arcade, but it is not what I like to use. If you have mdf under the plexi be prepared for a big mess because it's going to make a lot of dust and spray it everywhere. I held a shop vac close to the press while I was drilling and it still made a mess. Wear a mask. I like the X-Arcade in that everything really is pretty easy to upgrade... the downside is that you really need to upgrade some stuff.

Definitely do not use a spade bit on plexiglass, from first hand experience I can tell you how easily that will destroy an almost finished control panel! I had drilled out all the main holes with a forstner bit, and needed a smaller one for another mini button, and made the mistake of using a spade bit. I had even clamped wood on both sides of the plexi, still grabbed and cracked. I was not happy! With a forstner is is pretty safe and easy though.

Hey guys... not too long ago I discovered a guy's project to compile a massive archive of custom MAME bezels over at the Hyperspin forums. It's a great collection... thousands of bezels from multiple artists. Some of you may have seen this... if not, here's the link. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/13722-metalzoics-mame-mega-bezel-pack-bezels-for-900-games-inside/page-11 I just started contributing some of my own bezels to the collection as well. If you are interested, check it out. You can pretty up your MAME.

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, pahleto said:

Metalzoic's bezels are only available at emumovies ftp

Any chance of sharing these files for those of us that do not have access to their ftp?

This would be greatly appreciated !!

Thx

No. We will always respect any other websites wishes and how they do business. You don't get access to EmuMovies FTP without getting Premium. They're our partner and we would never betray that.

An incredibly small number of bezels that I made and posted as free downloads are now in that pack and for sale at Emumovies.  While it is a very, very small number of bezels, I'm sure there are other contributors in that large pack of art that only intended their work to be a free download.

Emumovies has not "respected" the wishes of any of those artists or the hundreds of other artists that intended their work to be free downloads and they now sell it.  I don't like how they do business... and now we are "respecting" their website that is exploiting artists and the art they intended as free downloads by not making them available as free downloads.  What a mess.

Edited by Drybonz

Yeah that is sort of a gray area, within a gray area lol.  A good chunk of those bezels were made by someone who also had them on the emumovies ftp.  But they were edited to fit normal sized screen fills that MAME does, or something like that, whereas the originals were for a pixel perfect aspect ratio which made the game screen smaller I think,...can't remember the details.  But then a lot of people donated them to the large pack just so it would be consolidated in one place.  It started small, and grew to over a thousand now I think.  I updated my packs everytime, and d/led them from the onedrive link, until it stopped and moved to the ftp.  I would guess the argument could be that the people who made freely available bezels, still have their original posts somewhere, so go download them there.  You don't HAVE to use the emumovies ftp if you don't want to.  It's just a perk to have it all in one pack, and metalzoic did craploads of resizing and organization to make the pack in the first place, so I am not going to complain about it too much.  But while we're on the subject,...it has always seemed weird to me that the emuMOVIES ftp has so much media that is not video related, like all these rocketlauncher things.  This community really needs to just centralize it's efforts.  This fragmentation is getting old when it comes to all the media out there. 

A large amount of the stuff on the Emumovies FTP is stuff they have collected from various places... the creator/artist intended it to be a free download.  Some things were deposited directly in their FTP by an artist... apparently people who want Emumovies to make money off of their work... and that's different... but a large portion of it was never intended to be sold.

Anybody could download some MAME art, put it on a password protected drive and charge people $5 for the "convenience" of downloading it all at once.  This would, of course, be considered completely shady, so I really don't understand why Emumovies is considered Ok.  There isn't a grey area... there is no difference in the two scenarios.