LaunchBox Community Forums

Super Famicom - Super Nintendo back and forth

moppedz

4 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

Artwork which looks like the original art but was completely redrawn from scratch.

And lacks some element present in the original cover or some variation. If the reconstruction is very near to the original and we don't have a good original we could accept a reconstruction as real boxfront boxback art.

Edited by Freestate
mistake

ok, so all the front, back, and spines i have for 3-D art that looks exactly like the original is what you considered as reconstructed. Got it. 

If it looks exact, why would you want to use the really bad scratched faded and stained originals?

Also, can anyone tell me why there is such a push to combine Famicom with NES. I get that ultimately they are the same, but for continuity and library consistency. They are not even close. The console was different, the carts where different, the art work was different, and in some cases the context of the game such as dialog and abilities are different, not to mention that most Famicom games are in Japanese. NES of America had a long standing "censorship" program that removed things such as sexual and alcohol references, death, life, religious symbols, and a whole slew of other things. As for the libraries being consistent, almost every game made in the US was made in Japan first, that would double the sheer size of artwork and other stuff for every one of those games. It is my opinion, the libraries should stay separated for that reason.   JMO.

The reason I am asking these questions, is because I am legitimately an O.C.D person. Everything has to have a place and everything in its place. With that said, I can not read Japanese so I do not do that region. I have put a ton of work in for building a complete library for NES roms region-ed for the US. During my research, I have found that almost every game released in English, in other regions, was the same game with a region chip, minus a few exceptions. I want to contribute but I do not want to repeat already completed work. or provide a sample of US information just to be told that this is not a complete listing. My fear is that I provide my information which looks like this.

Manufacture Console Box Title Screen Title Serial – Region Publisher Release LaunchBox Title LaunchBox Folder Title File Name Imports
Nintendo Nintendo Entertainment System Abadox: The Deadly Inner War Abadox [NES-A3-USA] Milton Bradley 1990 Abadox: The Deadly Inner War Abadox_ The Deadly Inner War [1990] Abadox – The Deadly Inner War Yes

(copy and past did not work well)

is to much info or not enough. And my biggest fear is that all my work would be a waste to the community.

This list is not 100% but for US roms I know there are 5 games that will not import without user interaction. Alien³ which you already know about.

It has also helped me narrow down 2 Pac-Man games that will not import or show art correctly as well as two Indian Jones games.  Where and how would I make suggestions on fixes for these.

Thanks for you consideration and attention. I am loving the concept of LaunchBox and will do what ever I can do assist in creating and maintaining and accurate databse.

• Like 1

A merged database could be useful to avoid duplicates on large romsets, with and unified database, you could see with a scrapping what games you have on variuous regions and select if you want to keep all or only keep your choice us,jp etc. Also is a good option to add next an option to change views, like show all games with japan covers or us covers (including fanmades) or keep original regional cover for example. Is useful to add a new option to vinculate several roms to one entry and choose what version you want to run (useful for the games that have visual changes in versions, like dr jekyll and hyde of nes of the jetsons/yokai buster of snes.

Keeping separate may contribute a lot to have duplicate entries on database because the infamous changes of naming on a large part of western catalogues. With the near addition of regional especific info, in one entry we can have all the naming and data, for now only covers, but jason says that he's working on it the next week, and is pretty close.

This solution isn't a merged database or a separated database its for a hybrid merged DB with separated regional subsections with European games setup to have extra fields for country specific releases as some games are released in multiple European countries as separate releases. This is what is really needed to compromise and get the best most accurate data

• Like 3

On 8/10/2016 at 3:05 PM, DOS76 said:

If the game is available in both regions no one should be changing the game they should be adding a new game with the regional specific media and metadata in the other region but definitely not be changing them to take any games out of the other region so absolutely any changes like this should be rejected by all mods and maybe the ability to change these moves to instead additions to the other region by mods. Even in the DB if the systems where merged again and then there were say regional tabs for game entries so say your looking at a game that has (multiple country) releases in Europe, Japan and US. So you sign in to the DB and go to the before mentioned hypothetical game. Then you would most likely default to the US version of the game but then you could click on the tabs and go to Japan and enter your art there your meta there you could fill in the region title if it wasn't the same then for the Europe you could repeat but also have additional fields to include regional metadata I don't know if we want to go as far as to add every cover for every country I'm not particularly against it but I wouldn't go all fascist in order to see it implemented either. At this point I don't really care how we handle the platform in the DB as long as a way to get accurate regional images comes into play and I can separate them by platform I'm happy. I know not everyone agrees with this but they are different very much so they may be the same hardware inside but many of them don't have the same controllers the same cart slots the same look. The boxes look terrible all mixed together in my opinion I hate seeing a hodgepodge of boxes. By your reasoning your telling me because I owned a Sega Master System I also owned a Mark III and its just not true. I've logged mad hours playing NES but I've never touched a Famicom so I don't see them as being the same thing at all.

@GamingOldGuy

This is the Solution.

Edited by Cebion

13 hours ago, Cebion said:

If the game is available in both regions no one should be changing the game they should be adding a new game with the regional specific media and metadata in the other region but definitely not be changing them to take any games out of the other region so absolutely any changes like this should be rejected by all mods and maybe the ability to change these moves to instead additions to the other region by mods

Ok, Im not sure what you are trying to tell me. I am sure I did not say change the game. As far as putting a game in the same entry for each region, that is just a bad Idea. 90% of all games release in the us are the exact same game release in English in other places,(only the region chip was changed). a few exceptions to a few games, cover art changed, title screen changed, names changed, those are different game, But there is not way I going to copy Mario Bros. to JP,EU,US,BZ,FR,GR,GB - they are all different regions but it is the same rom. so with that said, I "will" take a rom out of a collection and rename as I see fit for me. but the db, you can have one entry, and multiple tags. But you do not need them. These tags are superficial to the real issue, The real issue, which I am not sure If I did not explain my self correctly or I let my self go off in the wrong direction, is Famicom is not NES.

You can have one library for NES. It can contain every rom ever made for ever region, chances are if you collect a single rom for each listing your going to increase your library from 700m to 1.2 g for no reason.

As far as this post, I am really sorry I high jacked it, I apologize whole-heartedly, I was just trying to ask for further information and drop a little bit of an opinion on helping the community with an accurate complete database.