LaunchBox Community Forums

Super Famicom - Super Nintendo back and forth

moppedz

Hi, I recognized today that after a shitload of games were updated and changed to Super Famicom, the whole process of changing the platform is now reversed. I don't really mind that this is happening, both get merged sooner or later, but it keeps moderators from processing "real" changes. Is there a way to lock the system field, to prevent this? It is totally redundant work all moderators have to do.
  • Like 1

In the changes I saw, no reason was provided. If this is a bug or intentionally - I don't know. I googled some, which are indeed Japan only, so they are invalid changes from Super Famicom to SNES. The only reason i can think of is personal preference. Only the change from SNES to Super Famicom made sense in a way, which is debatable too, since they both are the same platform. Same for Famicom and NES. Pictures can already be assigned to different regions, why is this not possible for names and informations? I will stay away from moderating some time, until the mentioned pending changes were moderated by others, since this is a waste of time for me.

It's a nonsense and a change without a clear policy. And a generator of duplicates, redundances, and a bad workarround to clasify games. Super famicom and Super Nintendo are the same platform. We don''t need this, my suggestion to moderators is to reject changes to super famicom and wipe the super famicom entry relocating all to super nintendo. The spliting could be made when we have alternate regional names or other funtions to split or clasify.

If the game is available in both regions no one should be changing the game they should be adding a new game with the regional specific media and metadata in the other region but definitely not be changing them to take any games out of the other region so absolutely any changes like this should be rejected by all mods and maybe the ability to change these moves to instead additions to the other region by mods. Even in the DB if the systems where merged again and then there were say regional tabs for game entries so say your looking at a game that has (multiple country) releases in Europe, Japan and US. So you sign in to the DB and go to the before mentioned hypothetical game. Then you would most likely default to the US version of the game but then you could click on the tabs and go to Japan and enter your art there your meta there you could fill in the region title if it wasn't the same then for the Europe you could repeat but also have additional fields to include regional metadata I don't know if we want to go as far as to add every cover for every country I'm not particularly against it but I wouldn't go all fascist in order to see it implemented either. At this point I don't really care how we handle the platform in the DB as long as a way to get accurate regional images comes into play and I can separate them by platform I'm happy. I know not everyone agrees with this but they are different very much so they may be the same hardware inside but many of them don't have the same controllers the same cart slots the same look. The boxes look terrible all mixed together in my opinion I hate seeing a hodgepodge of boxes. By your reasoning your telling me because I owned a Sega Master System I also owned a Mark III and its just not true. I've logged mad hours playing NES but I've never touched a Famicom so I don't see them as being the same thing at all.
  • Like 2

DOS76 said If the game is available in both regions no one should be changing the game they should be adding a new game with the regional specific media and metadata in the other region but definitely not be changing them to take any games out of the other region so absolutely any changes like this should be rejected by all mods and maybe the ability to change these moves to instead additions to the other region by mods. Even in the DB if the systems where merged again and then there were say regional tabs for game entries so say your looking at a game that has (multiple country) releases in Europe, Japan and US. So you sign in to the DB and go to the before mentioned hypothetical game. Then you would most likely default to the US version of the game but then you could click on the tabs and go to Japan and enter your art there your meta there you could fill in the region title if it wasn't the same then for the Europe you could repeat but also have additional fields to include regional metadata I don't know if we want to go as far as to add every cover for every country I'm not particularly against it but I wouldn't go all fascist in order to see it implemented either. At this point I don't really care how we handle the platform in the DB as long as a way to get accurate regional images comes into play and I can separate them by platform I'm happy. I know not everyone agrees with this but they are different very much so they may be the same hardware inside but many of them don't have the same controllers the same cart slots the same look. The boxes look terrible all mixed together in my opinion I hate seeing a hodgepodge of boxes. By your reasoning your telling me because I owned a Sega Master System I also owned a Mark III and its just not true. I've logged mad hours playing NES but I've never touched a Famicom so I don't see them as being the same thing at all.
if we had a karma system here, i'd +1 you since I agree wholeheartedly. Furthermore, there are sometimes regional differences as shown here for example: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kenseiden/kenseiden.htm On the surface it may seem like it's the same game just for a different region, but that's not always the case. There are more than a few here that appreciate the regional differences albeit minor, but add to our retro experience all the more so.
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 5:28 PM, moppedz said:

In the changes I saw, no reason was provided. If this is a bug or intentionally - I don't know. I googled some, which are indeed Japan only, so they are invalid changes from Super Famicom to SNES. The only reason i can think of is personal preference. Only the change from SNES to Super Famicom made sense in a way, which is debatable too, since they both are the same platform. Same for Famicom and NES. Pictures can already be assigned to different regions, why is this not possible for names and informations? I will stay away from moderating some time, until the mentioned pending changes were moderated by others, since this is a waste of time for me.

I probably came across 40 or so today and just gave up. I can only reject then ctrl+v so many times "is not snes, says on box".... 

That being said I came to the forum afterword and saw that this is an ongoing issue with a lot of debate. Clearly these need merged on the back end and need to scrape as either or. Maybe that's the ticket that if some want snes and some want super Famicom default should be "scrape as snes/sfc"  and those that want to keep them separate can select either snes or sfc. And the community can set the region flag stating sfc or snes... 

Or maybe I just don't understand this and those like me who had a Genesis need the ability to moderate "all but snes/sfc"

Just reasign to super nintendo, there's no stablished policy about when a game must fall into super famicom list, the supernintendo entries have superfamicom covers, and in near future alternate regional names. Superfamicom and snes are the same platform and in the future they merge. And i've check some duplicates added to superfamicom that are in super nintendo. This happens because de delay on adding the regional info, some fan of japanese releases take the trip when they saw the superfamicom entry. A mistake in my opinion.

Edited by Freestate

To all the people who are doing this. Please stop!

The platforms will get merged in the future BUT everything else like proper region info’s has to be implemented first. So before this isn’t done and we get the official okay from Jason please leave the games under Super Famicom in their own category to avoid the unnecessary hassle in the moderation process.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

To all the people who are doing this. Please stop!

The platforms will get merged in the future BUT everything else like proper region info’s has to be implemented first. So before this isn’t done and we get the official okay from Jason please leave the games under Super Famicom in their own category to avoid the unnecessary hassle in the moderation process.

Hi Cid, could you tell me what rejection reason you are giving to all these requests? I am using : "The platforms will get merged soon. There is no need to change the platform field" But I don't know if that explanation is enough

@Freestate Alright, I'm going to ask you point blank. Are you doing this? Because you've been the only one pushing for people to change stuff back from SFC to SNES. It's a GIANT pain in the butt to moderate, and like Cid said, until we get an official policy change (if we do), I'm going to reject any changes like that, despite my personal feelings. 

That seems completely reasonable to me @CliveBarker. People just need to understand that it's something that's presumably going to happen but the infrastructure isn't there yet to make it happen. Until it is (and until we come to an official policy conclusion, for that matter), all this is going to do is create unnecessary work for moderators.

• Like 3

The merging is definitely going to happen when you take a look into the guidelines.

5. Consoles will be getting merged with alternate scraping names.

a. For example, Famicom and the NES are the same. They will be getting merged soon, but before that is added if the game exists in the NES category don’t add it to the Famicom category.

b. They’re the same console with different regional names. Regional naming alternatives is coming for Consoles and Game Titles.

@Jason Carrplease put this issue a little higher in your short list. It’s too much hassle right now and like Clive said it would be bad if we would discourage anyone because of that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FistyDollars said:

@Freestate Alright, I'm going to ask you point blank. Are you doing this? Because you've been the only one pushing for people to change stuff back from SFC to SNES. It's a GIANT pain in the butt to moderate, and like Cid said, until we get an official policy change (if we do), I'm going to reject any changes like that, despite my personal feelings. 

We'll in the moderation guidelines is very clear that platforms are merged soon, and yes, i'm pushing this into the other direction to make some noise to adress this issue now, in a first glympse i see that not only japanese games are moved to superfamicom tag, non released games in USA but in europe are moving to superfamicom too, and a bunch of duplicates are emerging into superfamicom tag too, i don't want to have to clean up a miriade of duplicates soon because some people without advice and no clear policy are populating the superfamicom category because they don't want to use the option scrape as, or have enought patience to wait for regional data and alternate names. I also want westernized names for japanese fantranslating games but to be straight i've adding all with their original japanese romanji name to be more precise.