LaunchBox Community Forums

Customize list view?

Xzfgiiimtsath

So I just shelled out the $20 for this because of list view. The idea of what looked basically like an excel spreadsheet full of game metadata that could also work as a launcher for whatever games I had on my PC was exactly what I was looking for. However, I don't seem to actually be able to edit any metadata in this view, I can't change the position of the columns (they just snap right back whenever I leave list view for some reason), and I can't choose which columns are displayed (half of them contain metadata I don't really care about that just clutters up the screen). As far as I can tell nothing about list view is editable, when that seems like the exact thing this view would exist for... even right-clicking the columns just brings up a context menu for whatever game is highlighted.

Am I missing something here? Is there some kind of planned functionality for this? I was willing to pay $20 just for that.

Sorry @Jason Carr can I just interject here, feel free to delete. what view are you saying is spreadsheet like? If you are in launchbox then all metadata is editable, allways. if you are in bigbox and trying to edit, then yes correct you cant do it from there. If you are trying to edit the views, then there are many free themes to download from the downloads section that change the view to something more pleasing to yourself.

9 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Yes that's why a detailed explanation from him or her would help us to understand there needs, as a new user may not know what can and cant be done straight away

Exactly, hence why I added to jasons refund offer buy chiming in myself, and sort of saying, I think what u want is there..

But I'm backing out, and letting the mods deal with, appologies.

Hey guys, the list view in LaunchBox is still a bit early in that you can't hide columns or save column positions, which I expect was part of Xzf's decision. It also doesn't support inline editing; it may in the future, but it isn't currently a high priority. I imagine if you wanted it primarily for Excel-type functionality, you would be disappointed currently.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Moving them and resizing them works just fine on my end already though

I think what he means is that LaunchBox doesn’t save your settings for this. You can move and resize all the columns but when you exit LB and reopen it, everything is set back to standard. Same thing happens when you switch between the Images and List view. I don't know if this is bug or by design @Jason Carr ?

12 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

the ability to edit meta data using the list view would be really awesome along with the ability to hide columns you don't want to see

Yes, that was one of things I hoped for when I paid for LB license.

It's not a complaint, far from it :) The app is absolutely awesome! (and getting even better) Just wanted to add that it'd be nice to see some metadata edit functionality in the list view, or at least column view customization, as mentioned above.

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, I honestly forgot about this post. But yes! I feel like you understand me now. I didn't really plan to use Launchbox as an emulator or use the big box frontend on my TV or anything - I essentially just wanted a database for all my games that I could add and edit custom metadata to... I do it for all my music, too, and Foobar is the perfect tool for that, I'm just a metadata and list nerd: Q8SzrAL.png.
List View looked so much like a spreadsheet that I, admittedly a bit hastily, assumed I'd be able to do those kinds of things and excitedly shelled out the money.

@Jason Carr No I don't think I'll need a refund. Buuuutt maybe you could think about adding making the columns customizable (choosing which are displayed and which order they're displayed in, and the ability to save those settings or just have them not revert back automatically), and adding in-line editing? These two additions alone would make List View MUCH more useful. I've been searching for a frontend/launcher/database type program that can do something like this for a LONG time, and I can't be the only one, right?

Thanks for all the responses guys

Edited by Xzfgiiimtsath
  • Like 1