LaunchBox Community Forums

EpicFail ScummVM Launcher NEW

EpicFail ScummVM Launcher NEW

View File

Version 4.0.0

Now works with the ThirdParty folder.  Also added a way to convert the BatRunner roms to launch straight from Launchbox instead of running through the batrunner and bat files.  This feature is new.  

Version 3.4.0

Big changes in this one.  Some may like it, some may hate it.  I now rewrite your ini file to help you out and maintain portability. 

• New game menu item to Configure ScummVM.  ScummVM will open with that game selected.  No need to scroll through a big list to find/guess the specific game to configure.
  • When using my menu items to configure scummvm, I will automatically rewrite absolute paths as relative paths to your ini file.
  • I also gave you the Configure ScummVM from the Tools drop down.
  • During generation of the *.bat launchers I will check that you have the emulator set up, if not I will fix it for you.
  • Can't change ScummVM path or launcher path now.  Just go with it, life will be better.
  • Simple and Advanced modes.
  • Advanced mode is what your used to.
  • Simple mode is one click setup, creates full list of launchers, and emulator creation. It will ask if you want to filter the non english languages.

It should be easy if it works the way I intend.

1. click on the Tools->ScummVM Import Tool (simple)
  2. click on the Tools->Import->Rom Files to import the bat files as ScummVM games.

Now scummvm can be portable easily in 3.3.1-plugin, you can rewriting the ini file.  One click will read every single setting out of the ini file and find all absolute paths, check if the path is valid, than convert then to be relative to the launchbox directory.

I owe you guys some new instructions. 

Updated with relative path for better travel! 

ONLY the DLL is updated...  See the update note below lots of new stuff.

• uses launchbox built in ScummVM by default
  • uses a local scummvm.ini by default, import existing to a local or create new fresh local scummvm.ini, all built in
  • find and remove existing epicfail files. 
  • better rom names for smoother mass import
  • BatRunner.exe installed from gui, must stay in your launchbox folder, point to it as your scummvm emulator. (BatRunner.exe is just the ScummVMimport.dll renamed and move to the launchbox main directory. Will prompt you when you create your launcher bat files.  So its automatic you won't have do any thing to create it)  Just point to it as the application for you scummvm emulator if your using the bat files.
  • Updated filtering with priority duplicate control.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Older Version 2.0.5 from the videos ScummVMLauncher.exe

NEW AND IMPROVED - NOW WITH RETROARCH FEATURE

This is the scummvm launching system I use with launchbox.  Most importantly this allows you to get art and videos for BB.  It works for me, so I'm sharing it.  

SETUP LAUNCHERS:

Put these ScummVMLauncher.exe files in your scummvm directory same directory as your scummvm.exe. I'm using 1.9.0.2-win32 currently.  If you already setup my old launcher you can just delete the files and the launchers folder.   

This is how I use it.  

1.  1st is to open your ScummVM and do a "Mass Add"  if you don't know what that is hold the shift button down and the add button on scummvm will  change.  You could skip this if you already have your games loaded in scummvm, but I recommend starting fresh.  
  2. After that close the scummvm program and assuming you have the microsoft .net framework installed run the ScummVMLauncher.exe.  
  3. From the window, select Tools->load scummvm.ini this will attempt to automatically find your file in  %appdata%ScummVM/, if its not there just navigate to the directory that you keep it and select your scummvm.ini file, then select open.  This will grab the scummvm.ini file selected and parse it. 
  4. You should see the gui populate and look similar to the screenshot. 
  5. The gui should be intuitive.  Filter the games the way you want to.  
  6. Select Tools->Generate Launchers

SETUP IN LAUNCHBOX:

1. Setup the emulator for ScummVM and pick the ScummVMLauncher.exe file as the executable.
  2. import roms - pick the launchers folder to import.

Enjoy in BB, with art and videos!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2017 at 4:05 PM, garbanzo said:

This works great, thanks for your hard work!

I'm missing a ton of box art after importing, though. What do you scrape these as in order to fill in the gaps?

Use emumovies.com.  Maybe try dowloading the boxes pack from emumovies manually.  Your collection is probably different than mine as well.   Very worst case, maybe see if like you have screenshots of the Game Title being scraped then try just copying those into your boxart folder.  

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just tried this out on my Win10x64 home pc  (Launchbox just had another update today too (9.7)).  Anyhow after unblocking the dll and trying to load LB two things happened,  first,  LB started loading,  the load indicator had only just started and then LB crashed.  2nd I tried loading it again but the load indicator got to the same place and then my entire pc locked up and I was forced to reset.  Didn't find any log or anything,  not sure if they are even created for crashes as I haven't encountered one until now.  I'm a little reluctant to try again (lol)   :S 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 4:04 AM, Michelle911 said:

Just tried this out on my Win10x64 home pc  (Launchbox just had another update today too (9.7)).  Anyhow after unblocking the dll and trying to load LB two things happened,  first,  LB started loading,  the load indicator had only just started and then LB crashed.  2nd I tried loading it again but the load indicator got to the same place and then my entire pc locked up and I was forced to reset.  Didn't find any log or anything,  not sure if they are even created for crashes as I haven't encountered one until now.  I'm a little reluctant to try again (lol)   :S 

I just got a start up error from Launchbox, and it was stuck on the loading bar. Had to force close Launchbox.

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome program and makes running Scumm games a breeze. Thank you so much for this. However, I've notice there's a handful of games that don't launch correctly through Launchbox but they run fine when I run them directly from ScummVM. I've done the same steps for each game but can't figure out why it does this for just a few games. (drascula the vampire strikes back, Lure of the Temptress, Kyrandia series) just to name the ones that come to mind. The error I get for these games is usually something along the lines of "missing kyra.dat file or file is corrupted" as an example of what I get from the Kyrandia games but it's the same for the others. This may be operator error but is there a way to get these games to work through Launchbox? It maybe a setting that I'm overlooking.

Note: I am using Retroarch simply because I can make using a controller easier across all my platforms. If I used the Scummvm built into launchbox I'd have to use a 3rd party controller mapping app (Pinnacle or similar). I don't want to do this because it competes when I am playing other platforms in Retroarch using the built in Retropad unless I manually turn it on and off as I need it. I prefer not to have to do this.

Again, this is the best thing to happen for ScummVM players. Mad props!

Edited by MADDHATTER

• 5 weeks later...

Please see my other post below....

I'm not being critical. I appreciate all of the great work being done and the help that I get from the community, but the new instructions are clear as mud and the videos that are still at the top of the post are completely obsolete. Please update the instruction at the top of the page and work with ETA prime on another video, or the least remove the old one.  I've been working on this for about 6 hours and it still doesn't work and now I have no idea where to go next. I'm probably worse off now than when I started. 

Thanks.

The link to the old file from the video is still linked in the post above about half way in.  The new plugin based should make it more automatic, I haven't messed with it in the new versions.  I will run through take notes and get back to you in the next day or so.   I do plan to update this some more at some point. 

Below are the new instructions from epic fail. Please follow these instructions in place of the video. This is all that is needed and is really simple.

My Notes, Starting from nothing.
1.) Download and install launchbox 9.10.  Ensure its close before continuing.
2.) Download the ScummVMImport.dll to your Launchbox/Plugins directory
3.) Right click the ScummVMImport.dll
        Select Properties
        Check the Unblock
        Click Apply, Then Click OK
4.) Put your ScummVM Games where you want to keep them. Games need to be extracted already.  I used Launchbox/Games/ScummVM
5.) run Launchbox
6.) Select Tools -> ScummVM Import Tool (simple)
        Click OK
        Click No  (I didn't have one to import)
        Click No  (I didn't have on to import)
7.)  From the ScummVM 2.0.0 Window, Update prompt
        Select Never, then click Proceed
8.)  From the ScummVM Window
        Hold Shift and select Mass Add...
        Click Yes
        Navigated to the Launchbox/Games/ScummVM directory and clicked Choose
9.)  Scan Complete, Click OK
10.) Select Quit.
11.) Answer Yes.
12.) Answer Yes.
13.) Answer Yes.
14.) Answer Yes.
15.) Answer Yes
16.) Answer Yes
17.) Click OK
18.) Click OK
19.) CLick OK
20.) From Launchbox Click Tools->Import->Rom Files
        Click Next, 
        Add Folder, 
        Select Launchbox/ScummVM/epicfail_launchers
        Click Next
        Select ScummVM, Then Click Next
        Select ScummVM, Then Click Next
        Select "Use the files in their current location"
        Click Next
        Click Next
        Click Next
        Click Next
        Click Finish
21.) Wait while they import.  Then click OK
22.) Done your game will now launch from launcbox
To Configure ScummVM or any of your games its important to follow one of these options.
Option A:
1.) From Launchbox, Click Tools->Configure ScummVM
2.) ScummVM will launch with the portable ini file created automatically earlier. Same one your games launch with.
3.) Configure and make sure you Quit from ScummVM.
Option B:
1.) Right Click the game from LAunchbox and select Configure ScummVM
2.) ScummVM will launch with the portable ini file created automatically earlier. Same one your games launch with.
3.) Configure and make sure you Quit from ScummVM.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Sadly this doesn't work well anymore with the latest version that doesn't let you change the ScummVM path because Launchbox moved ScummVM into a subfolder titled "ThirdParty". Even if you move it back to the root directory, every time there is an update for LB it will move it back into that subfolder. So it can be made to work but its quite annoying.

16 minutes ago, oblivioncth said:

Sadly this doesn't work well anymore with the latest version that doesn't let you change the ScummVM path because Launchbox moved ScummVM into a subfolder titled "ThirdParty". Even if you move it back to the root directory, every time there is an update for LB it will move it back into that subfolder. So it can be made to work but its quite annoying.

Maybe you might wanna post this info in the beta thread so Jason might have a suggestion or thought about it

@oblivioncthOne other option is to move to pointer text files named so ScummVM knows what game to launch.  This allows you to dispense with any launcher type setups since you are directly using ScummVM (or Retroarch version) executable.  The painful part is initially getting those files generated (to which the above tool helped me do initially) for the specific games you have and placed directly inside the game folders. The thread I linked below shows how to do it (3rd message from end) along with a zip file (at end of thread) of the games I had with text pointer files that will work with standalone ScummVM or RA.  Once you get everything working then changes to versions don't impact your install either from LB side or ScummVM. If new games become compatible with ScummVM, you just make text pointers like the others and add accordingly to their game folder.  The main reason I went to the bother initially was have the LB pause screen feature (for manuals) which works fine once you are back to using the executable without BAT files.  Anyway, an option, not as easy as a couple clicks with the tool but does have advantage of doing once and done.

17 hours ago, oblivioncth said:

Hey everyone, I'm still around.  I want to fix this and update it to not use bat files so I can leverage the launchbox pause menu feature.  I actually wanted to do this a year ago and never got to it, but again no one complained til now.  1st thing that I need to do is find where I backed up that the code, oops.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sundogak said:

@oblivioncthOne other option is to move to pointer text files named so ScummVM knows what game to launch.  This allows you to dispense with any launcher type setups since you are directly using ScummVM (or Retroarch version) executable.  The painful part is initially getting those files generated (to which the above tool helped me do initially) for the specific games you have and placed directly inside the game folders. The thread I linked below shows how to do it (3rd message from end) along with a zip file (at end of thread) of the games I had with text pointer files that will work with standalone ScummVM or RA.  Once you get everything working then changes to versions don't impact your install either from LB side or ScummVM. If new games become compatible with ScummVM, you just make text pointers like the others and add accordingly to their game folder.  The main reason I went to the bother initially was have the LB pause screen feature (for manuals) which works fine once you are back to using the executable without BAT files.  Anyway, an option, not as easy as a couple clicks with the tool but does have advantage of doing once and done.

I have no problem setting up something like this, I just had no idea it was an option. Thanks!

My only concern is have you noticed this adding any metadata scraping issues since what you're importing is files using the short/internal names instead of the full titles? I imagine LB might not be able to match the titles based on what I've seen with minor differences in ROM names vs what the title of the game is in the LB database.

EDIT:

Dur, I just remember that LB has the "use folder name for title" option, which would be perfect for this.

7 hours ago, epicfail said:

Hey everyone, I'm still around.  I want to fix this and update it to not use bat files so I can leverage the launchbox pause menu feature.  I actually wanted to do this a year ago and never got to it, but again no one complained til now.  1st thing that I need to do is find where I backed up that the code, oops.

No problem, it can be tough keeping up with something for a long time that is always changing. Glad you're still interested in this as its definitely a handy tool to have if it works seamlessly with the current LB version.

Hope you find your old source.

Edited by oblivioncth

On 3/23/2020 at 5:18 AM, oblivioncth said:

Hope you find your old source

Found the source code

On 3/22/2020 at 4:31 AM, oblivioncth said:

I just installed 10.11, there was still a ScummVM folder in the root Launchbox directory.  I'm not seeing a ThirdParty directory.  Am I missing something?

4 hours ago, epicfail said:

Found the source code

I just installed 10.11, there was still a ScummVM folder in the root Launchbox directory.  I'm not seeing a ThirdParty directory.  Am I missing something?

The change started with 10.12 beta 1, and right now it's on beta 8 I think? So stable 10.12 should be out soon if you dont want to download the beta.