LaunchBox Community Forums

The Sega Saturn dilemma!

DevilHanzou

So my Bigbox goes from Atari 2600 to basically Nintendo 64 besides a few stragglers everything is there with shiny box art,complete collection etc... However I have not added Saturn. Now it is kind of bugging me that its not there lol. Just not sure I want to take the time to make 40+ cue files to get it going. I like that my BigBox is portable and on an External SSD so I can carry it around like its a frigging pack of chewing gum. Seems like besides making the cue files, there is no getting around needing at the very least a portable virtual cd mount program right? So is it worth it? Is there more than say 5 must play games? I need the Sega Fans that had rich parents to give me the details here :D

1st off if you are using Mednafen or the Mednafen Saturn core in retroarch you don't need any type of disk mounting software. These are what would be recommended as your best Saturn emulation option by most of the members of the community. Also if you get your games from the right places they will come with .cue files included and you shouldn't have to create any manually.

• Like 1

Just now, Charco said:

Yeah, Saturn emulation made great strides around autumn last year. I'd say use the Mednafen Saturn core in RA if you are already familar with it.

Ya I think cause I zipped up the Saturn Roms and Emulator a few years ago that when I decided to maybe add it I just went straight to using what I had without thinking.

Just now, DOS76 said:

I was a SSF user up until July last year when the RA stuff started to come out even from its 1st release it greatly improved and simplified emulating Sega Saturn.

I just switched from individual emulators recently to RA for everything, and wanted to kick myself for not doing it sooner. The Plug and Play ability of it, and getting it to hook up with Launchbox just makes everything so much better. 

I think I used Redump for my Saturn stuff... but there's so many out there I can't remember. If you find a Saturn rom set though, you'll be good to go. ... Maybe it was TOSEC... Oh, also, Mednafen did get a name change in RetroArch. The cores are still labeled mednafen, but the official name is now Beetle. So for anyone not in the know, that might get confusing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

I think I used Redump for my Saturn stuff... but there's so many out there I can't remember. If you find a Saturn rom set though, you'll be good to go. ... Maybe it was TOSEC... Oh, also, Mednafen did get a name change in RetroArch. The cores are still labeled mednafen, but the official name is now Beetle. So for anyone not in the know, that might get confusing.

I just went ahead and used UltraISO to make the cue/bin. I forgot that you could select all to convert at once,. Just got done adding to my box. It is so nice being able to use Retroarch for Saturn, zero issues FTW 

Thanks for everyone's feedback today.

Edited by Hanzou
  • Like 1