LaunchBox Community Forums

PS1/PSX : Batch combine multiple .bin (and then .pbp)

Ariakan

Well I had a play with the settings in imgburn, it seemed very insistent on creating .img files despite what I picked. Got it to create a bin, converted that and while closer its still not spot on. The music is there but the timing is out. It kicks in early or late or sometimes cuts out abrubtly. Much closer than before though. For now though I think I'll be sticking to just leaving the games with the music tracks seperated out as they are.

Tbh so long as I can convert my multi disc games I'm happy for now. That was the real reason I got the converter in the first place, then decided to do the rest because why not? It would be nice having everything the same file format but its no huge issue importing both pbp and cue files. I appreciate the help though guys.

2 hours ago, spectral said:

Well I had a play with the settings in imgburn, it seemed very insistent on creating .img files despite what I picked. Got it to create a bin, converted that and while closer its still not spot on. The music is there but the timing is out. It kicks in early or late or sometimes cuts out abrubtly. Much closer than before though. For now though I think I'll be sticking to just leaving the games with the music tracks seperated out as they are.

Can you give me the .cue that you generated ?

A friend is working on something, and we will compare what his file and your file !

On 6/1/2017 at 3:20 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Just so you know, the PS1 Hardware core has severe issues, so it'd be best to use the other Beetle / Mednafen core, it will function much much better.

The HW core is fine. The issue isn't the core, it's with renderers other than Software and/or some of the PGXP options. If you set the renderer to Software in the core it works just as well as the normal core, but still gives you the option to mess around with things (Vulkan/GL+PGXP) if you so choose, without switching cores. Of 421 games tested, 5 had some kind of dramatic compatibility issue (this is an issue with Mednafen itself, mind you, not the HW core).

On 6/1/2017 at 11:00 PM, spectral said:

Also how do you join a game with lots of bin files into one and still have it work. I tried converting it to an iso with iso buster and the game played but had no music. Nothing else would seem to read the cue file properly to convert them to anything. I ended up just converting the ones with 1 bin file and leaving the rest as bin/cue.

I use ImgBurn myself. As Brad mentioned, you can either mount the .cue via DT and direct ImgBurn to the appropriate virtual drive or just direct ImgBurn to the .cue itself. Assuming the .cue sheet is correct - and that is a pretty big assumption mind you - you can output it to a new single .bin + .cue.

As far as multi-disc games, I use .m3us. .pbps are fine too, though I think there's a handful of games that have compatibility issues with them. I found the conversion process in PSX2PSP to be more time consuming than simply making .m3us for them, personally.

Thanks for the info. I have managed to convert the multi bin games now but at least in the one I tested (street fighter alpha) the music played but the timing was out when converted to pbp. It'd start/stop at the wrong time. Using the single bin/cue it was created from had no such issue. Ideally for multi disc games I'd like to use pbp where I can as the aim is to minimise the need to use the keyboard at all. Do you happen to know any specific games that have issues with pbp disc swapping? I'm generally not going for complete sets in any of the systems so I dont have all that many multi disc games overall, mostly the RPG's and the odd bad game I'm curious about like X-files and the Wing Commanders games.

With regards to the software vs HW core thing. I have tried both and on the admitedly few games I've messed with not noticed any real difference other than HW having more options. Performance was the same and I didn't have any glitches in HW other than when manually messing with some of the settings such as PGXP in some games.

My friend couldn't do anything about writing a good .cue files : .bin files are differents, he can't get the good time for each track, sometimes there are .exe inside, different encoding, etc... :( That's why for some games it works, and others doesn't work.

14 minutes ago, Ariakan said:

My friend couldn't do anything about writing a good .cue files : .bin files are differents, he can't get the good time for each track, sometimes there are .exe inside, different encoding, etc... :( That's why for some games it works, and others doesn't work.

Oh well, it was worth looking at. I dont think there is going to be an easy solution tbh as both the PBP file format and PS1 emulation in general have been a thing for long enough now that if there was an easy solution we would find information on it already. I also think its not a big enough problem for anyone to put significant time into. I only started converting them at all because it is the easiest way to disc swap, assuming that works for the titles I need it too. Then figured That I've got the app, I may aswell do what others I can. While I admit I only have a few hundred PS1 games total, the size isn't a huge issue. Knocking off a few GB's total would help much. CSO'ing PS2 files on the other hand, much more useful.

Edited by spectral

I have just converted over 1000...tested a few but im going to and test street fighter now lol...

Although i didnt convert the multi bins to single myself. It was done with the 7zip and a payed version of isobuster method i believe. To allow for batch automation.

I will get back to you

29 minutes ago, Ariakan said:

My friend couldn't do anything about writing a good .cue files : .bin files are differents, he can't get the good time for each track, sometimes there are .exe inside, different encoding, etc... :(

Sounds like your friend needs a new source for his games. I wouldn't touch something with an .exe with a 30 foot pole.

Personally, the vast majority of my PSX library is ripped (with ImgBurn) from my own collection. With that said, there are (multiple) other sources out there that don't have any of the kind of crap you're referring to - TruRip, Redump, etc. Avoid the "paradise of emulation" like the plague when it comes to anything disc-based.

No, it was some Redump games. There wasn't .exe inside, but executable code only launch by the PlayStation itself ! He search inside header's files, etc... he made me a loooong explaination in french that I can't translate. :P 

Edited by Ariakan

1 hour ago, spectral said:

Ideally for multi disc games I'd like to use pbp where I can as the aim is to minimise the need to use the keyboard at all.

I don't follow you - .pbps and .m3us are functionally identical in Mednafen (both RA and standalone). You still have to send the "open tray" -> "next (or previous) disc" -> "close tray" inputs, whether you're using .pbp or .m3u. The only difference is that they're getting merged into a single file with .pbps (and have a slightly smaller filesize). The functionality in-emulator is the same. In Retroarch you can assign those functions to hotkeys (or do it through the Quick Menu) so for me I use the numpad keys "0" (open/close tray), "+" (next disc), and "-" previous disc. They have default bindings in Mednafen standalone.

Do you happen to know any specific games that have issues with pbp disc swapping?

I don't, sorry. Like I said, I use .m3us. I just know I've read of people mentioning that a few games are apparently incompatible with .pbps.

With regards to the software vs HW core thing. I have tried both and on the admitedly few games I've messed with not noticed any real difference other than HW having more options. Performance was the same and I didn't have any glitches in HW other than when manually messing with some of the settings such as PGXP in some games.

Yeah, it's fine. If you set the renderer to Software it should be identical to the non-HW core, and if you decide you want to play around with things you can always enable them later and save them in per-game overrides.

Maybe they fixed the HW core then, because last I checked and was told, it wasn't working too hot. If it's better now though then, even better.

As for PBP's and disc swapping, I also don't know whats going on there. I started telling people they needed to use the disc tray stuff to swap discs, but PBP's are lauded as automatic switching and several users pointed out that their games auto-swapped when it got to the end of a disc. So I don't bring it up as often now, but still. They're supposed to auto-swap.

Ehh, last time I used one I definitely still had to switch via hotkeys just like with .m3us. If anybody wants a game to quickly test, I usually recommend Riven - it's a 5-disc game and you can get to disc 2 in literally about two minutes. Walk up some stairs, go across the bridge, go into the room on the left and hit the switch on the right, go back out, turn left and continue to the end of the hall and open the door, exit to the right of the room, press the button to call the rail car, go into the car and hit the lever with the knob to turn it around, press the lever in the middle to move it forward - switch to disc 2.

...and the sad part is that's from memory hahaha