LaunchBox Community Forums

Hi,

I'm working on a BigBox plugin and an associated Android app to enable a tablet to be used as a side screen / auxiliary screen to show marquees / banners / control layouts and pdf manuals for the game that is currently selected in Big Box. The idea is that the tablet would be automatically synchronized via WiFi to the selected game in Big Box, and it would show relevant data for that game. This could be especially handy to show the control layout and manual for a game when using Big Box in a cabinet.

I was wondering how much interest there would be in the community for me to release this plug in to everybody?

Also, @Jason Carr, can I use the Big Box logo, or a derivative of it as the icon for the Android app?

Thanks!

• Like 6

On 6/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, pytsharp said:

Hi,

I'm working on a BigBox plugin and an associated Android app to enable a tablet to be used as a side screen / auxiliary screen to show marquees / banners / control layouts and pdf manuals for the game that is currently selected in Big Box. The idea is that the tablet would be automatically synchronized via WiFi to the selected game in Big Box, and it would show relevant data for that game. This could be especially handy to show the control layout and manual for a game when using Big Box in a cabinet.

I was wondering how much interest there would be in the community for me to release this plug in to everybody?

Also, @Jason Carr, can I use the Big Box logo, or a derivative of it as the icon for the Android app?

Thanks!

Awesome! Yes, no problem @pytsharp. :)

5 minutes ago, g0d53nd said:

This is a great idea. Id use it just for the manuals itself. I have an android tablet now that hardly gets used so this would definitely have me dusting it off.

Yep, that's pretty much the reason why I came up with the idea in the first place :) And even for those who don't have one, a decent Android tablet can be now bought for $50 or so, and it's a nice addition to a cabinet, if only to display the appropriate manual while playing! I'm planning to release a first beta of the plugin this week.

• Like 2

Just now, pytsharp said:

Yep, that's pretty much the reason why I came up with the idea in the first place :) And even for those who don't have one, a decent Android tablet can be now bought for $50 or so, and it's a nice addition to a cabinet, if only to display the appropriate manual while playing! I'm planning to release a first beta of the plugin this week.

OOhh that's soon. :) 

4 hours ago, pytsharp said:

Well I am defiantly looking forward to it!

23 hours ago, pytsharp said:

Hey @Jason Carr, can I ask you something? Would you be able to extend the IBigBoxThemeElementPlugin interface with a Dispose() or OnExit() or similar method, so that plugins can dispose of things like a thread listening on a socket connection when exiting BigBox? Thanks!

Absolutely! That should be already available though relatively easily with ISystemEventsPlugin. You can have your class implement both IBigBoxThemeElementPlugin and ISystemEventsPlugin I believe. Though there may be some weirdness due to multiple instances, hmm. But anyways, let me know how that works and if you run into any issues I can add something in the live stream tomorrow. :)

Oooh, that's fantastic, thank you for the heads up! Is that interface new? I hadn't looked at the Launchbox API Documentation for a while, and until the last time I checked, only the IBigBoxThemeElementPlugin and IGameMenuItemPlugin interfaces were available! I'm sure ISystemEventsPlugin will be perfect if it raises an event on app shutdown or similar! Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pytsharp said:

Oooh, that's fantastic, thank you for the heads up! Is that interface new? I hadn't looked at the Launchbox API Documentation for a while, and until the last time I checked, only the IBigBoxThemeElementPlugin and IGameMenuItemPlugin interfaces were available! I'm sure ISystemEventsPlugin will be perfect if it raises an event on app shutdown or similar! Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

I did get quite a bit more in there before the 7.10 release, actually. So it should even be available for the official release. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...