LaunchBox Community Forums

BIGFLIX: A new user experience for your HTPC

7 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

What a fine example of a mobilephone post this morning. 

I find it difficult when I'm tweaking what part of the theme... are you having the same problem @SNAK3ATER I can't get a a view in Visualstudio 

You'd be surprised to know that most of my work has been done through a tedious sessions of trial and error via notepad++

Basically I can't visualize my work through Visualstudio so I have to insert a code/value via notepad and fire up BigBox to see result of my work, tweak the value again, fire up Bigbox, check your progress, rinse and repeat until you get the "right" look.

I know it's a tedious work and I always swear this will be my final theme but then I see something inspiring and I get back to the theme development all over again xD

5 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

You'd be surprised to know that most of my work has been done through a tedious sessions of trial and error via notepad++

Basically I can't visualize my work through Visualstudio so I have to insert a code/value via notepad and fire up BigBox to see result of my work, tweak the value again, fire up Bigbox, check your progress, rinse and repeat until you get the "right" look.

I know it's a tedious work and I always swear this will be my final theme but then I see something inspiring and I get back to the theme development all over again xD

It's basically the same thing with visual studio.. It would actually be faster with notepad++ and less distracting. . I'm just not as fluid in xaml to know what options go with which elements...

19 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

It's basically the same thing with visual studio.. It would actually be faster with notepad++ and less distracting. . I'm just not as fluid in xaml to know what options go with which elements...

Same here mate, actually 6 months ago I had zero knowledge in XAML and I still don't but I learned by basically taking a popular theme and reverse engineering it to see what code does what to the overall theme, also the sticky thread is a great place to learn more about theme coding and the supplied pdf by Jason does a good job of covering the popular options for theme elements. Also this is a very friendly community so ask around if you want some tips and assistance there are alot of great folks who helps back.

i'm still inexperienced in coding when compared to other great theme makers but i'll try to contribute the best I can so feel free to ask around if you want.

Edited by SNAK3ATER
  • Like 1

Alright here's a quick update on the progress of Bigflix 1.1 Alternate version:

Updated Views with correct platform/game snap aspect ratios - Complete

Removed the buffering animations and speed up the transitions - Complete

Added a new Wall View with Bigflix features - Complete

Edited the Boxart view to be compatible with odd boxed platforms like PSX (no overlapping boxarts) - Complete 

Applied polish and nifty little details in every existing views - Complete

Work in progress:

Platform banners for Bigflix (would love to have someone on board to help me finish this)

Exploring adding new features such as community star ratings

I experimented with community stars ratings in one of the views and I realized I can only use either user star rating or community ratings but not both aesthetic wise:

Original view with user star rating

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_02.09_-_08_48_55_75.thumb.png.2207e0fec7475de90ea896d60959dc3e.png

Modified view with community ratings

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_02.09_-_08_48_25_57.thumb.png.2ba90c917bcaf4d112285106bc1784b3.png

The community ratings are rounded up to an integer like 4.3 and then converted to a percentage to stay true to the source: (Netflix dropped the star system and opted for a thumbs and matching system instead in late 2017)

ratings.thumb.jpg.63502ca12d046103466b355be89ddc50.jpg

What do you think of the community rating for Bigflix do you prefer it over the old user star rating? please let me know in the comments below!

I will help with platform banners. at Hyperspin I used to do Wheels and Themes... 
Currently I use Nosh's banners as a base and created my own banners for playlists. 

do you have a certain style in mind ? do you have an exmple I can work with ? Here are a few samples I did.  @SNAK3ATER
59b4e44bb0ee3_PCEngineSuperGrafx.png.bd50a3ee0629bfef7e79692f62631070.pngDoom.png.fc59d99ef04c413acb00505d2690c98a.pngcastlevania.png.3c54cb37e7961abe58ba061d8af5a2e0.pngmetroid.png.bb915d7d7aa49bbe020970edf32f8672.png59cd574560f50_ThelegendofZelda.png.fe25edc977cddf21e1094f195ee64cb3.png

Edited by Klopjero
  • Like 2

On 8-2-2018 at 12:10 AM, SNAK3ATER said:

@Klopjero Having a blurry video displayed in the background is a neat trick but unfortunately I don't think Bigbox supports such a feature..btw are those above images from you a Photoshop illustrations or an actual working theme?

Good news is I found an alternative workaround that might tame down the rough edges for now:

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_02.08_-_02_37_54_62.thumb.png.d6ccdbd2aa3102527412465470653155.png

I still need to apply some polish here and there but let me know what do you think about this workaround 

how did you achieve the blur ? code wise?

7 hours ago, Klopjero said:

I will help with platform banners. at Hyperspin I used to do Wheels and Themes... 
Currently I use Nosh's banners as a base and created my own banners for playlists. 

do you have a certain style in mind ? do you have an exmple I can work with ? Here are a few samples I did.  @SNAK3ATER
59b4e44bb0ee3_PCEngineSuperGrafx.png.bd50a3ee0629bfef7e79692f62631070.pngDoom.png.fc59d99ef04c413acb00505d2690c98a.pngcastlevania.png.3c54cb37e7961abe58ba061d8af5a2e0.pngmetroid.png.bb915d7d7aa49bbe020970edf32f8672.png59cd574560f50_ThelegendofZelda.png.fe25edc977cddf21e1094f195ee64cb3.png

Wow those are nice Klopjero! In Bigflix 1.0 I used Nosh's banners to showcase my themes and recommended people to use his banners with my theme, but moving forward with Bigflix 1.1 I would like to create new banners that suits the style of this theme.

The banners will have two variations (one with Bigflix logo and other without the logo, see examples below):

snes.thumb.png.63f4be132d53fa78a9c47986398e7061.pngsnes2.thumb.png.96e37b82b18c7326901c376b21ed7e28.png

The banners are slightly different than Nosh's as they are 920 x 430 which is similar to steam grids dimensions. Here are a couple of samples I created below to get a general feel of the look and style i'm going with the banners:

PS2a.thumb.png.9740bd3a5ffac5eb4494d453d98d93f8.pngWii2.thumb.png.3b342df8d21a04c8cf174135515534a6.png5a7db76a76cd8_Gameboycolor2.thumb.png.036e7356d47f3d6cf333cdc2f48bc2ae.pngGamcube2.thumb.png.d6b9124b9e867dfad6d9d89ad99d4edf.png

I'll admit tho graphic designing is not my strongest suit as I have amateur skills in photoshop and while some experienced designers literally take few minutes to design a single banner it takes me up to an hour sometimes to design 3 banners as most of the time is wasted on fiddling with photoshop tools... I t would be much better if someone can assist me in the design part while I focus on theme coding to expedite the process and finish the project faster.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

I volunteer.

Leave that to me. I'll throw something together this evening.

Thanks bro much appreciated!

10 hours ago, SNAK3ATER said:

Alright here's a quick update on the progress of Bigflix 1.1 Alternate version:

Updated Views with correct platform/game snap aspect ratios - Complete

Removed the buffering animations and speed up the transitions - Complete

Added a new Wall View with Bigflix features - Complete

Edited the Boxart view to be compatible with odd boxed platforms like PSX (no overlapping boxarts) - Complete 

Applied polish and nifty little details in every existing views - Complete

Work in progress:

Platform banners for Bigflix (would love to have someone on board to help me finish this)

Exploring adding new features such as community star ratings

I experimented with community stars ratings in one of the views and I realized I can only use either user star rating or community ratings but not both aesthetic wise:

Original view with user star rating

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_02.09_-_08_48_55_75.thumb.png.2207e0fec7475de90ea896d60959dc3e.png

Modified view with community ratings

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_02.09_-_08_48_25_57.thumb.png.2ba90c917bcaf4d112285106bc1784b3.png

The community ratings are rounded up to an integer like 4.3 and then converted to a percentage to stay true to the source: (Netflix dropped the star system and opted for a thumbs and matching system instead in late 2017)

ratings.thumb.jpg.63502ca12d046103466b355be89ddc50.jpg

What do you think of the community rating for Bigflix do you prefer it over the old user star rating? please let me know in the comments below!

I would like to get your feedback on the community ratings implementation in Bigflix, now I know there are many people including me who doesn't like Netflix's new Matching system but after giving it a thought it does make sense for Bigbox; basically a game with let's say 92% match means the average people who rated this game are in favor of this game similar to how metacritic system works for game reviews.

The only drawback is due to space limitations I can only implement either user star rating or community ratings but not both... there is a workaround but unfortunately after researching I still can't figure out how to coding wise; the idea is to place both the user and community rating on the same space and having them alternate between each other on repeat kinda similar to Grila's wheelfaded code but instead of user rating swapping with community rating only once after a set amount of time they instead keep alternating indefinitely. 

Perhaps @CriticalCid and @eatkinola can shed some light on how to achieve that?

I think from an aesthetic point of view the matching system keeps everything in line with the theme, as you said. I did not like it in Netflix at first, but I have gotten used to it and it has been pretty good at showing me shows I have ended up liking. So it has grown on me. The star rating is a tried an true view, but honestly I would not mind seeing a little change to something else and if it fits in well with the theme than it is not as if the change is going to stick out like a sore thumb. 

25 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

Thanks bro much appreciated!

I would like to get your feedback on the community ratings implementation in Bigflix, now I know there are many people including me who doesn't like Netflix's new Matching system but after giving it a thought it does make sense for Bigbox; basically a game with let's say 92% match means the average people who rated this game are in favor of this game similar to how metacritic system works for game reviews.

The only drawback is due to space limitations I can only implement either user star rating or community ratings but not both... there is a workaround but unfortunately after researching I still can't figure out how to coding wise; the idea is to place both the user and community rating on the same space and having them alternate between each other on repeat kinda similar to Grila's wheelfaded code but instead of user rating swapping with community rating only once after a set amount of time they instead keep alternating indefinitely. 

Perhaps @CriticalCid and @eatkinola can shed some light on how to achieve that?

To do this you can add the following to the storyboard element

RepeatBehavior="Forever"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

@SNAK3ATER

here some samples.. tell me what you think.. do the logo's need to be bigger/ smaller ? more margins on the bottem or the sides ? 

magnavox odessey.png

playstation3.png

wiiu.png

Love it! They look very Neflix-ish if you get what I mean which is perfect :x

Logo placement can be varied depending on the artwork used and platform's clear logo; if you noticed my samples above the clear logo placement is different on the PS2, Gameboy and Wii so i'd say you're on the right track just keep doing what you do best Klopjero!

If there is any nitpick i'd say make sure the artwork used does not have any watermarks on it and try creating two variations (With Bigflix logo and no logo) of the same platform banner whenever possible. Looking forward to the rest of your work and i'm happy to tell you that Bigflix 1.1 is 99% completed and might release it this weekend if everything goes according to the plan. 

I'll post a video later to showcase the theme but I just need to beta test it to make sure no bugs or other anomalies are introduced in the updated theme and offcourse your banners to bundle it for the complete package B|

5 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

Love it! They look very Neflix-ish if you get what I mean which is perfect :x

Logo placement can be varied depending on the artwork used and platform's clear logo; if you noticed my samples above the clear logo placement is different on the PS2, Gameboy and Wii so i'd say you're on the right track just keep doing what you do best Klopjero!

If there is any nitpick i'd say make sure the artwork used does not have any watermarks on it and try creating two variations (With Bigflix logo and no logo) of the same platform banner whenever possible. Looking forward to the rest of your work and i'm happy to tell you that Bigflix 1.1 is 99% completed and might release it this weekend if everything goes according to the plan. 

I'll post a video later to showcase the theme but I just need to beta test it to make sure no bugs or other anomalies are introduced in the updated theme and offcourse your banners to bundle it for the complete package B|

I have a day off tomorrow and so I can get some stuff done.. 
Logo placement.. I'd tend to place them on the same height...which looks nice.. ..where do these banners popup in your theme ? 

don't worry about watermarks... I've been grilled an ddrilled on hyperspin-fe.com those folks dont mess around.. I will however not randomly place logo's on backgrounds.. it will be consistant and evenly placed ..so it will form a cohesive whole... 

now If you will excuse me ..I'm off to bed...the bottle is empty. I have a huge collection of system logo's ..consoles, computers, arcades, handhelds.. some misc stuff.. 

Edited by Klopjero