LaunchBox Community Forums

CD-i emulation

5thWolf

7 minutes ago, sundogak said:

@MuddyWaters79 You never extract the ROMs. They stayed zipped in your main MAME folder that you have pointed MAME to in your setup. 

On the console Philips CD-i, I thought people either have .bin and .cue files or CHD's. I have CHD's. They were never zipped. I have tried to run them both in Mame and Mame64UI and can't seem to get them to run.

3 minutes ago, MuddyWaters79 said:

On the console Philips CD-i, I thought people either have .bin and .cue files or CHD's. I have CHD's. They were never zipped. I have tried to run them both in Mame and Mame64UI and can't seem to get them to run.

I am talking about the ROMs not the CHDs. You said in your post you unzipped the MONO rom. Those do not get unzipped.

Yeah that’s a bios file... according to the video that is to be unzipped. Either way thank you for your help, I just got it working! I went back to my original Mame 2019 emulator and created a folder consoles in my roms folder. I placed the CDI CHD files in their own cdi folder and left the bios in the roms folder. Now it all works great! 

@MuddyWaters79 Glad you got it working. Sometimes just going from scratch works best.  Not sure why that video (which haven't looked at) is saying to unzip a bios/rom unless it was referring to a Retroarch MAME setup which is different animal.  For MAME standalone, it looks for things inside the zip files if it is a ROM/BIOS. CHDs it assumes are standalone.  Software list CHDs, like CDI are are bit different but as you found as long as MAME can find the CHD path and the ROM path then will launch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, so I have tried all day with every tutorial and emulator I could find to get the CD-i to work.  I have bin/cue and .chd files and can't get anything working.

I tried downloading the MAMEUI64 to run on its own because I already have MAME running my arcade games on launchbox and I don't want to screw anything up there.  In my MAMEUI64 I have the cdimono1 zip folder still zipped in the rom folder.  Then i have tried the .chd and bin/cue files in the rom folder as well and nothing comes up.

Tried putting them into their own folder within the rom folder and added that to the directory and still nothing.  Also it just shows a bunch of arcade games that obviously don't work because theres no rompacks in the directory.  Does anyone have an up to date tutorial on how to get these games to work?

If not I guess I'll give up on this because its super confusing.  Ive gotten every other system ive ever wanted to work but this is just way too hard.

Thanks

Can the .chd files be all put the rom folder with the cdimono1.zip in there or do they need to be in a folder within the rom folder? 

Also to manually run them do i need to open mame or do I drag the .chd file onto the MAME application file and start it that way?  Not around my computer at the moment or else I would check.

*tried and it didn't work

Edited by Bushgopher

Ok so ran the CHDMAN on my .chd files and it made my bin and cues for me.  Still when trying to open them with MAMEUI64 was getting the servo and slave errors.  At least it would open the mame window.  So extracted all of the cdi bios zips that are in my MAME rompack and found that the cdi910.zip file had the servo/slave files that it said were missing.  Extracted the files from there and used winrar to include those files into the cdImono1.zip file.  Now when I run the games from launchbox it works!! WOOHOO

Thanks for all the help

CD-i additional bios.PNG

cdmono1.zip with all files needed.PNG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BurnCycle said:

Hello everyone, been a few years since i tried this emulator on CDi games, did it change much in this last 2 years?
Last time i tried it wasn't anything special in terms of working titles.

Nope, same setup as before (i.e., as noted on Page 3 of this thread).

• 3 months later...

I have it working via the super easy route of making roms into CHD and then placing with mame roms along side 'cdimono1' bios and then telling launchbox platform as 'cdi' but emu as 'mame' and then going in to edit and setting up an associated platform in mame with command line 'cdimono1 -cdrm' and default emulator.

But it only works for some games.  Works for hotel mario but zelda is unplayable so no idea what is going on....

Edited by WInzen

1 hour ago, WInzen said:

zelda is unplayable

Is it unplayable in-game, or does it not load at all for you?  If the latter, did you try directly in stand alone MAME?

If it's not loading, which method in LaunchBox are you using to point to the rom?  If you have MAME setup for soft lists, you can simply launch "cdimono1 -cdrm zeldgam".  Unless you have the US version, then use "zeldgamu".  Or do you just have LB pointing to the "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE.chd"?

Either way, just tested and both do work.  Again, if using the 1st method, make sure you're telling the correct version of the rom you have.

• Like 1