LaunchBox Community Forums

CD-i emulation

5thWolf

7 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Is it unplayable in-game, or does it not load at all for you?  If the latter, did you try directly in stand alone MAME?

If it's not loading, which method in LaunchBox are you using to point to the rom?  If you have MAME setup for soft lists, you can simply launch "cdimono1 -cdrm zeldgam".  Unless you have the US version, then use "zeldgamu".  Or do you just have LB pointing to the "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE.chd"?

Either way, just tested and both do work.  Again, if using the 1st method, make sure you're telling the correct version of the rom you have.

Zelda is currently unplayable. It launches, but as soon as you select a level, it slows down extremely and eventually crashes. This happens with recent mame core versions, I think .222. If you use an older version of mame (I tried .215) it works.

See also here: https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=7716

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

Haha, yes I found out about that by pure accident. Wanted to show these games to a friend and that's when I found out it didn't work anymore.

Due to the lack of FMV i cnat use cdi in any meaningful way so i just wanted to show zelda and mario along side snes and nes and gba etc as an oddity.  I also cant get Mutant Rampage - Bodyslam working.  If i could just get zelda and this working I would leave the rest alone haha

1 hour ago, WInzen said:

Due to the lack of FMV i cnat use cdi in any meaningful way so i just wanted to show zelda and mario along side snes and nes and gba etc as an oddity.  I also cant get Mutant Rampage - Bodyslam working.  If i could just get zelda and this working I would leave the rest alone haha

Well, just use any mame version below .221 and it should work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

Well, just use any mame version below .221 and it should work.

not sure how to set this up.  I found via the cdi bios a cdi list in mame but when i click on a working game like mario it says "missing files software" :?

EDIT: I set it up in LB and the old working games work and now ZELDA works!

But mutant rampage still wont work :(

I can get to the player screen and then the philips logo but then black screen of death.

maybe my roms are bad thought the game is listed as working perfectly on a compat list.

Or do we know if this game works ? Anyone have this working on mame?

thanks

Edited by WInzen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, JoeViking245 said:

Is it unplayable in-game, or does it not load at all for you?  If the latter, did you try directly in stand alone MAME?

If it's not loading, which method in LaunchBox are you using to point to the rom?  If you have MAME setup for soft lists, you can simply launch "cdimono1 -cdrm zeldgam".  Unless you have the US version, then use "zeldgamu".  Or do you just have LB pointing to the "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE.chd"?

Either way, just tested and both do work.  Again, if using the 1st method, make sure you're telling the correct version of the rom you have.

This is where I'm running in to issues. I can now run the games from a command line prompt, for example mame.exe cdimono1 zeldgamu -v. The trouble - at least as near as I can tell - is that mame is looking for zeldgamu, which is the MAME-formatted name of the zelda - the wand of gamelon (1993)(philips)(us).chd, but instead it's getting the full name of the .chd file. That's why mame.exe cdimono1 zeldgamu -v will launch the game, but LB - which is sending the full file name/path - won't.

@WraithTDK

Since you can get it to run from the command prompt, that's good! :) 

Getting it to run in LaunchBox depends on how you point the ROM File to in the Launching 'tab'. 

If your pointing directly to the chd file, you need the full path:  (LB is using a Relative path [ ..\ ] in the image)

image.thumb.png.62f8810d9389cb90a4e9988b176b0b07.png

And then you need to have your MAME emulator use quotes and the full path:  (no boxes checked)

image.thumb.png.5e29beece666217b11d17adec78a9ee8.png

If you prefer to use MAME's 'short name', in LB you need only to put that in:

image.png.0aacb5d1c1253fc5881d6b0ff8f66fcc.png

(Alternatively you can create a .txt or .zip file (doesn't matter the file extension, and can be blank/empty [i.e. 0 bytes]) and point the ROM File to that [physical] file.  i.e. D:\MAME\roms\zeldgamu.txt)

And then tell MAME to NOT use quotes AND use the file name only:

image.thumb.png.1d0c2b450c8513b2adf4bf0520ea5753.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

If you prefer to use MAME's 'short name', in LB you need only to put that in:

image.png.0aacb5d1c1253fc5881d6b0ff8f66fcc.png

(Alternatively you can create a .txt or .zip file (doesn't matter the file extension, and can be blank/empty [i.e. 0 bytes]) and point the ROM File to that [physical] file.  i.e. D:\MAME\roms\zeldgamu.txt)

And then tell MAME to NOT use quotes AND use the file name only:

image.thumb.png.1d0c2b450c8513b2adf4bf0520ea5753.png

THAT DID IT! I need to add .txt files for each game, but there's only like 20 games that work with MAME anyway; so who cares? BIG THANKS!

• Game On 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, i have all games in zip files (inside there are cue and iso).

I follow this video tutorial but not launch games.

I see a black window for 1 second and came back main home launchbox.

Maybe there is an error :S Please can you help me ?

I like MAME but it's MESS it's better for this emulation i can try it.

Send me screen so i cannot wrong.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, marcosgaming said:

Thanks.

It seems you have the redump set. As far as I know, they won't work with mame. You need the chd files.

6 hours ago, marcosgaming said:

Thanks.

As SiriusVI said, must be in CHD format. Also the MAME emulator won't emulate about 25% of the CD-i games like Mad Dog, Brain Dead 13, Dragon's Lair, and Who Shot Johnny Rock since MAME cannot yet emulate the MPEG decoder module for the CD-i (DVC).  There are not many options for emulation for CD-i at this point. 

MAME and MESS are merged, so there is no separate MESS anymore.  With MAME and really most emulators it is typically best to verify it works outside LB if you are getting errors/black boxes to rule out if a emulator issue or setting in LB to troubleshoot. 

• Like 1