LaunchBox Community Forums

CD-i emulation

5thWolf

1 hour ago, bundangdon said:

Hmm, I don't quite follow your advice. I'm already using the CHD files with both Mame and Mess, and when a game like "Dragon's Lair" loads up, I get the same message "Digital Video Cartridge Required" and the emulation stops from there. Is there some type of secret method to get around this, or is it simply impossible at this point in time?

From what I gather it's still impossible at this time and still might be quite a way off.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, idk14 said:

I want to play the Cluedo (Clue) CD-I games but I can't on an emulator because (currently) emulators can't use the Digital Video Cartridge element of those CD-Is.

Are you talking about the 1996 one (there are several clue games)? There's a Windows version of it, if so. It's 16-bit though, so you'd need to use DOSBox to run Windows 3.1 or 95. That's kindof a whole other can of worms, but it's doable. 3.1 is significantly easier to do, of the two.

4 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Are you talking about the 1996 one (there are several clue games)? There's a Windows version of it, if so. It's 16-bit though, so you'd need to use DOSBox to run Windows 3.1 or 95. That's kindof a whole other can of worms, but it's doable. 3.1 is significantly easier to do, of the two.

I've played the Windows version (1996, was it published in?).

3 (out of the 6) mysteries: Deadly Patent, Blackmail and The Road To Damascus were re-sold on CD-ROM discs for Windows.

But the other 3 (The Hooded Madonna, Happy Ever After and Not In My Backyard) were/are available on CD-I discs only.

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Ah okay, gotcha. I wasn't aware that it wasn't all of them.

Based on some reading, it doesn't sound like there's a way to get around Digital Video Cartridge issue in MAME/MESS currently.

It's very annoying that all 6 mysteries weren't released for Windows.

1 hour ago, wolf said:

I just ran into one game I wanted that requires that DVC.... and with my research, I did not find a way to utilize it on any emulator. So I think games that require it may not be playable currently. Hopefully we can discover it soon.

If someone thinks of a way of bypassing the DVC element used in some of the CD-I games then I'll be very happy.

Also, I DMed you, Wolf, yesterday. Can you help me there?

• 3 months later...

I try to manage the CDI Emulation now within Retroarch (as an alternative probably with Arcade64 / Mame). In all the tutorials they are talking about the Bio called cdimono1 but I only found cdibios - even as a male/ mess bios package. I tried it with the bios files I have (also with renaming it to cdimono1) and I put it into the system folder or the games folder. Plus with the help of Mame I convert nearly all my CDI games into chd files. when I start Retroarch with the game, tetrarch closed imedatly.

I want to play it within tetroarch with the mame core.

does someone have an Idea what I did wrong so far? or give me a helpful hint?

1 hour ago, rexryan said:

Bios issue. There is one out there called cdimono1

I did manage to find this but still not able to play it.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Not many people have had success in getting the MESS side of MAME running through RetroArch last time I attempted it you had to have the software list specific files from MAME it wouldn't just use any ROM.

and how can I run this through Mame or Arcade? I have the 192 Version .... I start googling softwarelist now

you go to Launchbox and then to tools>manage emulators double click on MAME to open the edit form then go to the associated platforms tab and set up the system like in the screen shot

image.thumb.png.33e1c443f5a652b8f7893642f29653a6.pngThe command for CDI is different and I'm unsure of the actual shortname MAME gives the system and you would put the shortname and the -cdrom tag after like I have set up in that example for Neo Geo CD

Edit: Looks like the system might be called cdimono1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if someone might know what is going on with my setup. I just added the Philips CD-i to Launchbox. I am running it through MAME. I have the cdimono1 BIOS in my MAME ROMs folder and am using the command line: cdimono1 -cdrm. I have the .bin and .cue file format for each game and have the .cue files added to Launchbox. I know in the tutorial it was mentioned that the .cue files might make it crash but they do not on mine. Each game launches without crashing but never makes it past the following screen:

1.thumb.png.006ce9d5ae28af51b76f53cb736e503b.pngHas anyone else run into this before? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

15 hours ago, Dane said:

Just wondering if someone might know what is going on with my setup. I just added the Philips CD-i to Launchbox. I am running it through MAME. I have the cdimono1 BIOS in my MAME ROMs folder and am using the command line: cdimono1 -cdrm. I have the .bin and .cue file format for each game and have the .cue files added to Launchbox. I know in the tutorial it was mentioned that the .cue files might make it crash but they do not on mine. Each game launches without crashing but never makes it past the following screen:

1.thumb.png.006ce9d5ae28af51b76f53cb736e503b.pngHas anyone else run into this before? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If memory serves, you need to use chd files under CD-I emulation with MAME. Why don't you convert one of your bin/cue files to chd and see if that works. This command should work (edit the cd.cue and cd.chd filenames to match your files): chdman -createcd cd.cue cd.chd

Grab chdman from your MAME directory.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

If memory serves, you need to use chd files under CD-I emulation with MAME. Why don't you convert one of your bin/cue files to chd and see if that works. This command should work (edit the cd.cue and cd.chd filenames to match your files): chdman -createcd cd.cue cd.chd

I am converting them via the Philips CD-i to .CHD Batch Converter 1.0.0 posted by @harryoke right now as a result of your recommendation. Thank you.

3 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Unfortunately it did not work. Still the same result, they launch to the system home screen but no further.