LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

We're shooting for 8.0 on this one guys. :)

The first beta is here. Most notably, Big Box now uses CEF (the Chromium Embedded Framework) for displaying PDFs in Big Box. Here's the full change log:

- New Premium Feature: Big Box now includes a built-in PDF/browser viewer for manuals that can be controlled with all existing controllers. This is implemented via the Chromium Embedded Framework (an embedded, open-source version of Google Chrome).

- Improvement: Added community star ratings support to the LaunchBox Plugin API. The following fields have been added to the IGame interface: CommunityOrLocalStarRating, StarRatingFloat, CommunityStarRating, and CommunityStarRatingTotalVotes. See the documentation here: http://pluginapi.launchbox-app.com/html/b33d2055-e2be-3f42-12c6-adbc5668f454.htm

- Improvement: Added retro achievements support to the LaunchBox Plugin API. See the new Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins.RetroAchievements namespace for details. Documentation is here: http://pluginapi.launchbox-app.com/

- Improvement: Retro achievements will now use alternate names from the games database if the game is not found; this requires the game to be already matched up to a LaunchBox Games Database ID

Currently, the Page-Up and Page-Down keys/buttons are what zoom in and out in the PDF viewer. We may change that going forward. Let me know how it all goes. :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Any chance of having manuals added to the database and downloaded through the scraper like other media ? Or would this be a copyright violation ? I know Nintendo got on to Blockbuster for renting the game manuals out and Blackbuster had to resort to photocopies. Not sure if that would be a similar thing here or not.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

Any chance of having manuals added to the database and downloaded through the scraper like other media ? Or would this be a copyright violation ? I know Nintendo got on to Blockbuster for renting the game manuals out and Blackbuster had to resort to photocopies. Not sure if that would be a similar thing here or not.

At least for now, we'll probably leave that to EmuMovies, for the same reason that we don't distribute soundtrack music. Unfortunately we'll probably continue to shy away from that for manuals.

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

I would imagine they would be covered like how archive.org does and most companies probably wouldn't care but Nintendo has such a stick up their ass over stuff like this I could see them getting their panties all in a twist.

Honestly I can't believe some of the stuff archive.org gets away with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Have manuals been removed from the free emumovies downloads in the wizard? I'm sure they used to be there but i'm not seeing them, are they emumovies premium only now?

I don't think so, though that is controlled via the EmuMovies API itself, so that's probably a question for @circo. :)

Just now, circo said:

the free side of sync is artwork only for bandwidth reasons.  Manuals were never a part of that though they are on the website for manual download

Ah OK, thank's @circo, i thought they were there when i first started messing with Launchbox, but i'm obviously mistaken.

Thank's for clearing that up though. :)