LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

The issue isn't just a lack of 100% coverage, it's also the development hell involved. Initial implementation would take weeks, and then every time a new version of Windows came out, it would be a crapshoot whether things would stay working. So it's not something that we're likely to tackle any time soon.

I know it's not going to be tackled soon, but we can always hope. It's a natural progression in the front-end world. It's only a matter of time.  Just because it's always been done by RL doesn't mean it will never be done by a FE in the future ? You have already blown the other stuff out of the water in my opinion, in such a short time.  so I have faith in you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drphobus said:

It is very nice to know that jason is going strong with launchbox in 2018 still.  It would be nice to have a  pre poll, live development  video. Afterall it did work out very well the last time.   my english sucks, i never write that novel :-)

That's the plan @drphobus. At least for a brainstorming session. :)

Beta 2 is out now guys with some custom themes additions:

- Improvement: The Big Box wall view now supports videos for custom themes

- Improvement: The FilterTitle property is now available for all games views in Big Box custom themes

The wall view videos in particular have been requested by at least a couple different theme developers. @CriticalCid's Aeon MQ7 theme will support it here soon.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2018 at 8:05 PM, Jason Carr said:

Just wanted to brag a little. @circo sent me a legit Roland MT-32 for Christmas. Guess what I'm setting up right now. :)

Dude, sweet! I'm super jelly. I've used Munt for years, which is actually pretty darn good, but I'd love to get the real thing. For games that really take advantage of it, it's like a completely different game. A lot of the early Sierra stuff is pretty mindblowing. A lot of them were specifically composed for MT-32 since they had a vested interest in them selling - they had the distribution rights to it in the US.

0:00 - 2:02 Adlib / 2:03 - 4:05 MT-32

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Will the PDF document for theme development referances have all the new attributes added with explanations next to them?

If I get around to updating it... ;)

24 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Dude, sweet! I'm super jelly. I've used Munt for years, which is actually pretty darn good, but I'd love to get the real thing. For games that really take advantage of it, it's like a completely different game. A lot of the early Sierra stuff is pretty mindblowing. A lot of them were specifically composed for MT-32 since they had a vested interest in them selling - they had the distribution rights to it in the US.

0:00 - 2:02 Adlib / 2:03 - 4:05 MT-32

Yeah, it's incredible. I'm very nostalgic for external MIDI devices with DOS games. As a kid I got a Casio general midi keyboard for Christmas one year and when I figured out I could hook my freaking keyboard up to DOOM...that's when I lost interest in everything else. ;)

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, it's incredible. I'm very nostalgic for external MIDI devices with DOS games. As a kid I got a Casio general midi keyboard for Christmas one year and when I figured out I could hook my freaking keyboard up to DOOM...that's when I lost interest in everything else. ;)

Most of that stuff was just a dream for me at the time - stuff like the MT-32 retailed for something like $600 so that was never gonna happen. It's been pretty interesting to revisit some of my childhood favorites with such a dramatic change in sound. It's kindof a weird experience because on the one hand my nostalgia says "This doesn't sound the way it's 'supposed' to." but on the other it really is like playing a whole new, objectively better game.

For people that are interested in this stuff and don't have access to the real thing, I do highly recommend checking out Munt for MT-32 and VirtualMIDISynth (with FluidR3 or equivalent) for GM. Both of them hook right into DOSBox no problem. I've never been able to compare the real thing vs the emulators side by side but they sound pretty darn good regardless. If you're a DOS junkie like me, it'll be a pretty eye-opening experience!

• Like 2

On 1/9/2018 at 5:47 PM, Jason Carr said:

Currently, no. But I can see how we should add an option to disable it. I'll add that to my list.

Yeah, can I second a "disabling inbuilt PDF reader" option? I've already been using the Sumatra PDF solution that someone posted elsewhere in the forums for ages and I'm fine with it. (Gawd, I sound really ungrateful). Sorry.

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

If you're a DOS junkie like me, it'll be a pretty eye-opening experience!

I've gone a bit MS-DOS obsessed lately. Ever since I worked out how to create .bat files to 'Launch Before / Launch After' Xpadder profiles to work with D-Fend and DosBox, I've disappeared down an MS-DOS rabbit hole. I never used MS-DOS back in the day as it was all about the Amiga 1200 for me. I started using PC's at Windows 98SE so it's great to go back and explore all this stuff. There is a certain charm to MS-DOS software that I can't put my finger on. I definitely feel 100% more elite when I'm adjusting CPU cycles and choosing VGA, EGA and all that jazz lol.

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 5:00 AM, Jason Carr said:

I will probably add separate page up and page down and zoom controls yet, yes. I will also be adding an option to disable the built-in PDF reader so you can use your existing solution, but I won't be adding a specific option to use Sumatra.

Can you please add an option to select a pdf viewer executable so it's possible for LB not to use the windows default pdf viewer (the way it previously worked)? That way I can use a light viewer for LB and and full featured viewer/editor out outside of LB.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, teeedubb said:

Can you please add an option to select a pdf viewer executable so it's possible for LB not to use the windows default pdf viewer (the way it previously worked)? That way I can use a light viewer for LB and and full featured viewer/editor out outside of LB.

That would be nice - have a setting where you can just choose which PDF user you use for BigBox, and it could default to the built in one (for users who don't need to change anything).

bigbox could also read the pdf pages that could bring up a wheel, big enough to only show one set of pages at a time and the pages could be scrolled like the horizontal or vertical game wheels. we really dont need an external pdf viewer at all when itll be so easy for bb to have 'ts own'.

Jason could code the triggers to use doubleanimation to enlarge/decrease said wheel size and thumbstick to shift position offsets because we dont have access to controller code. Would seem fast and easy since wheel code is already there. And if it cant be figured how to read inside a pdf, then pdf files can be dumped to a folder and be read that way. Lots of cbr readers are just zip files. Just sayin.

This way itll look like part of bb instead of an external app that doesnt fit with the current bb theme.

there isnt a wheel on the dtails page so there wont be any conflict with other wheels. click game option  to view  game manual option > manual wheel pops up > profit > cancel button to close it out.

Edited by shinra358

3 minutes ago, GreenGriffon said:

I like the idea of a PDF viewer, but please don't make calls to it while browsing games or do anything with it that will impact performance. That's all I ask :)

The PDF viewer is just a option in the game details menu, just like the view images, and view video full screen options. It doesn't interfere with anything, but it's there if you want it. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

The PDF viewer is just a option in the game details menu, just like the view images, and view video full screen options. It doesn't interfere with anything, but it's there if you want it. :) 

Thanks neil9000, I knew that was the situation right now. I really meant going forward with possible requests to integrate this or that.

14 minutes ago, Napalm2016 said:

Hi Guys

I like the integrated pdf viewer but for some reason I have 2 of them 1 called View Manual the other Games Manual 8D not quote sure if it is supposed to be there its only on there on 1 of my systems the other it doesnt appear I thought it might be a plugin but cant see it in the folder any ideas?

2018-01-11_18-40-02.flv

Interesting, not seeing that here. Add to playlist is the bottom option i have.

Screenshot (245).png

20 minutes ago, Napalm2016 said:

Hi Guys

I like the integrated pdf viewer but for some reason I have 2 of them 1 called View Manual the other Games Manual 8D not quote sure if it is supposed to be there its only on there on 1 of my systems the other it doesnt appear I thought it might be a plugin but cant see it in the folder any ideas?

2018-01-11_18-40-02.flv

Do you have a PDF plugin in your plugin folder?