LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

FYI the installer errored out when it tried to install, and didn't complete. Now, when I try to start LB, I get the following error (see below). I tried removing the simple custom plugin I had put into the Plugins folder, but I still get this error.

For now, I'm going to try reinstalling the previous version, and hope that it works. Will update with any new info.

Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.0-beta-1
Type:    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
Site:    System.RuntimeType[] GetTypes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.LoadPlugins[T](IEnumerable`1 assemblies, ConcurrentDictionary`2& plugins)
   at (String , Form )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.LoadPlugins(String folderPath, Form splashForm)
   at (String[] )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

7:32:57 PM Exception

1 minute ago, utopicide said:

FYI the installer errored out when it tried to install, and didn't complete. Now, when I try to start LB, I get the following error (see below). I tried removing the simple custom plugin I had put into the Plugins folder, but I still get this error.

For now, I'm going to try reinstalling the previous version, and hope that it works. Will update with any new info.

Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.0-beta-1
Type:    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
Site:    System.RuntimeType[] GetTypes(System.Reflection.RuntimeModule)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.LoadPlugins[T](IEnumerable`1 assemblies, ConcurrentDictionary`2& plugins)
   at (String , Form )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Root.LoadPlugins(String folderPath, Form splashForm)
   at (String[] )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

7:32:57 PM Exception

What error did you get with the installer? It makes sense that nothing would work properly if the installer failed. Unfortunately it's the installer error message that matters here.

Any way we can get a separate xaml for the pdf reader? Or a way to view one page at a time instead of all pages on one screen with the triggers switching between pages and the analog sticks controlling the zooming and shifting? Removing the gray background to see bigbox behind the pages? Hiding the pdf viewer gui to only show the pages? Per monitor settings (id like to view the pdf manuals on the marque screen instead of the main screen)?

Was looking for something a bit more similar to how hyperspin's hyper pause menu displays it's pdfs to sum it up. I'd like to display the manuals and guides like a home console would.

Tried the following steps, and still got the same error:

1. Removed my custom plugins from the Plugins folder.
  2. Downloaded and re-installed 7.16, which was successful.
  3. After LB starts, it offers to install latest 8.x beta.
  4. Beta appears to install successfully.
  5. When Beta actually starts itself (after install), progress bar goes well until towards the end, when the progress bar shows "Loading Plugins". At that moment, I get the error.

Very nice! It's definitely working well here.

I think this is really begging to have a controller automation function added for "Display manual for currently loaded game" though. As good as it is to be able to navigate with the controller, I think this needs to be accessible while you're actually playing the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shinra358 said:

Any way we can get a separate xaml for the pdf reader? Or a way to view one page at a time instead of all pages on one screen with the triggers switching between pages and the analog sticks controlling the zooming and shifting? Removing the gray background to see bigbox behind the pages? Hiding the pdf viewer gui to only show the pages? Per monitor settings (id like to view the pdf manuals on the marque screen instead of the main screen)?

Was looking for something a bit more similar to how hyperspin's hyper pause menu displays it's pdfs to sum it up. I'd like to display the manuals and guides like a home console would.

Unfortunately that's not in the cards, at least not soon. I'm using an embedded version of Chrome (per the initial post), and those aren't features that Chrome supports. We have the ability to put the PDF reader anywhere in Big Box (doesn't have to be full screen for instance), but Chrome doesn't support all those customizations. Per monitor settings though is certainly a possibility.

Basically, in order to get that level of control I'd need to build my own PDF reader, which just seems like reinventing the wheel at this point. We also looked at free/open source libraries to do it, and they all kind of suck, so this was the best option currently.

2 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Very nice! It's definitely working well here.

I think this is really begging to have a controller automation function added for "Display manual for currently loaded game" though. As good as it is to be able to navigate with the controller, I think this needs to be accessible while you're actually playing the game.

That is a thought I had as well. Could be complicated to implement switching between Big Box and the game while it's running (I'm cringing at the thought of it), but yes, that would certainly be nice.

Per my previous post, I am now attempting to reinstall the beta.

1. Deleted Plugins folder, to make it "pristine", since I was using custom plugins at one point (even though I had deleted all my custom files).
  2. Began install of LaunchBox-7.16-Setup.exe...Success.
  3. After install, installer automatically launches LB...Success.
  4. Prompt appears that new beta is available. Would I like to install it now?...Yes.
  5. LB automatically closes and begins new beta installer. Installer completes successfully.
  6. After beta install, installer automatically launches LB...unexpectedly, success! (This is where I was getting the error.)

Apparently, there was something about my Plugins folder that was preventing the latest beta from loading successfully, and deleting the folder (step 1 above) resolved it.

So, I'm good to go. Don't know if this information is useful to you or not, but now you know FWIW.

Cheers, Aaron

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, utopicide said:

Per my previous post, I am now attempting to reinstall the beta.

1. Deleted Plugins folder, to make it "pristine", since I was using custom plugins at one point (even though I had deleted all my custom files).
  2. Began install of LaunchBox-7.16-Setup.exe...Success.
  3. After install, installer automatically launches LB...Success.
  4. Prompt appears that new beta is available. Would I like to install it now?...Yes.
  5. LB automatically closes and begins new beta installer. Installer completes successfully.
  6. After beta install, installer automatically launches LB...unexpectedly, success! (This is where I was getting the error.)

Apparently, there was something about my Plugins folder that was preventing the latest beta from loading successfully, and deleting the folder (step 1 above) resolved it.

So, I'm good to go. Don't know if this information is useful to you or not, but now you know FWIW.

Cheers, Aaron

Good to hear. Do you know what might have been left in your plugins folder?

More feedback: I had forgotten that I had downloaded the plugin framework separately. I downloaded it a long time ago, and I'm not sure if I had an outdated version (though it worked fine with 7.x). Be advised that there may be a compatibility issue between the latest beta and the Unbroken plugin framework DLLs.

When I get time, I'll reinstall the latest plugin DLLs from the site, as well as my own simple custom plugins, and reply here if any crashes result. (Or, if you'd rather I use the bug tracker, let me know and I'll post there.)

Edit: To directly answer your question above, I *believe* that the only things left in the plugins folder before I deleted it were the official Unbroken framework files (DLLs and language folders). Unfortunately I deleted the files permanently so I can't say for sure. Will keep you posted if I run into issues reinstalling the plugins later.

Edited by utopicide

1 minute ago, utopicide said:

More feedback: I had forgotten that I had downloaded the plugin framework separately. I downloaded it a long time ago, and I'm not sure if I had an outdated version (though it worked fine with 7.x). Be advised that there may be a compatibility issue between the latest beta and the Unbroken plugin framework DLLs.

When I get time, I'll reinstall the latest plugin DLLs from the site, as well as my own simple custom plugins, and reply here if any crashes result. (Or, if you'd rather I use the bug tracker, let me know and I'll post there.)

The plugin framework DLL is overwritten with the new version on every update, so that probably wasn't an issue. Feel free to post here with any issues you find. :)

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The plugin framework DLL is overwritten with the new version on every update, so that probably wasn't an issue. Feel free to post here with any issues you find. :)

FYI, after deleting the plugins folder and installing 8.x beta, the Plugins folder (just the folder itself) has been re-created, but it is now empty (no Unbroken DLLs or any other files). Not sure if that's what you expect, given your statement that the framework DLLs get overwritten with each new version. It appears that the beta is not installing the plugin framework, unless there's some weird edge case bug that's preventing it in my case. I only deleted the Plugins folder before installing the beta, but I can't delete everything and make a completely clean install, because I have a ton of customization in e.g. the Data folder.

(Edit: corrected "I only deleted the Plugins folder before deleting the beta" to "I only deleted the Plugins folder before installing the beta".)

Edited by utopicide

I get this bug with pc games that can't be closed with the bigbox gamepad close hotkeys (for example: Resident Evil 4 UHD):

Clipboard01.thumb.png.943c597408c625222c9fe1ae85e45654.png"loading game" window cut off glitch.

Occurs when returning from said game to bigbox.

Also, maybe the update download speed may not be a isp issue because the website is going very very slow as well. Every other site is working fine. Is the bandwidth of the site connected to where the updates are downloaded from?

Edited by shinra358

The PDF reader does not seem to support SymLinks, and that breaks functionality on my setup. I already have all of the manuals sorted in folders for RocketLauncher, and it is not practical to copy all of the files for disk space reasons.

I can confirm that copying the PDF to the appropriate folder works as expected, but I get this when I try to open a SymLinked PDF file:
5a542d14a1a3c_2018-01-08(6).thumb.png.f3e45d8de43cacdba6bc73c7a0b8cb77.png

Do you have any idea why my SymLinks are not working? They work fine when I have them open with a regular PDF reader.

Edited by Typhon