LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

3 minutes ago, Napalm2016 said:

Hi Neil

Yes Im on beta 2 the only plugin I have in the plugins folder is LaunchboxDB Match I havent touched my setup for a while so maybe I found something previously to add it but not sure its a mystery :S 

Can you copy out that plugin somewhere else, and look again?

On January 10, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Zombeaver said:

Dude, sweet! I'm super jelly. I've used Munt for years, which is actually pretty darn good, but I'd love to get the real thing. For games that really take advantage of it, it's like a completely different game. A lot of the early Sierra stuff is pretty mindblowing. A lot of them were specifically composed for MT-32 since they had a vested interest in them selling - they had the distribution rights to it in the US.

0:00 - 2:02 Adlib / 2:03 - 4:05 MT-32

Didn't want to hijack this thread but had a few questions about Munt here...

when I enter in Audit mode, LB shows this error:

(Inner Exception)

(Inner Exception)

Valor demasiado grande o demasiado pequeño para un byte sin firmar.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.0-beta-2
Type:    System.OverflowException
Site:    Byte Parse(System.String, System.Globalization.NumberStyles, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLaunchBox.Read2_LaunchBoxGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLaunchBox.Read9_LaunchBox(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLaunchBox.Read10_LaunchBox()

(Outer Exception)

Error en el documento XML (783599, 6).

Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents)
Source:  System.Xml

at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader textReader)
   at Common.Utilities.ConfigurationMapper`1.DeserializeXml(String configPath)
   at Common.Utilities.ConfigurationMapper`1.DeserializeFile(ConfigFileType type, String path)
   at Common.Utilities.ConfigurationMapper`1.Load(ConfigFileType type, String path)

(Outer Exception)

Could not deserialize object of type LaunchBoxPlugins.Data.Entities.Metadata.LaunchBox from F:\LaunchBox\Metadata\Metadata.xml

Site:    T Load(Common.Utilities.ConfigFileType, System.String)
Source:  Common

at Common.Utilities.ConfigurationMapper`1.Load(ConfigFileType type, String path)
   at AddToGamesDB.AddToGamesDbPlugin.GetIsValidForGame(IGame selectedGame)
   at (AuditForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.dataGridView_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnSelectionChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.FlushSelectionChanged()
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellMouseDown(HitTestInfo hti, Boolean isShiftDown, Boolean isControlDown)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellMouseDown(DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

8:02:43 Music.Pause Start
   8:02:43 Music.Prepare Start
   8:02:43 Music.Kill Start
   8:02:43 Music.Kill Finished
   8:02:43 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   8:02:43 Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   8:04:21 Music.Pause Start
   8:04:21 Music.Prepare Start
   8:04:21 Music.Kill Start
   8:04:21 Music.Kill Finished
   8:04:21 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   8:04:21 Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   8:34:18 Music.Stop Start
   8:34:20 Music.Kill Start
   8:34:20 Music.Kill Finished
   8:34:49 Exception

15 hours ago, flores9 said:

(Inner Exception)

(Inner Exception)

Site:    Byte Parse(System.String, System.Globalization.NumberStyles, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo)

at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLaunchBox.Read2_LaunchBoxGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLaunchBox.Read9_LaunchBox(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLaunchBox.Read10_LaunchBox()

(Outer Exception)

Site:    System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents)

at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
   at Common.Utilities.ConfigurationMapper`1.DeserializeFile(ConfigFileType type, String path)

(Outer Exception)

Could not deserialize object of type LaunchBoxPlugins.Data.Entities.Metadata.LaunchBox from F:\LaunchBox\Metadata\Metadata.xml

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AuditForm.dataGridView_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellMouseDown(HitTestInfo hti, Boolean isShiftDown, Boolean isControlDown)
   at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellMouseDown(DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

Same error for me in audit.

3 hours ago, wirtual82 said:

Because I use RL to view PDFs when in game, this update is not for me. However, it's good that Jason is not likely to include other RL features because why do things twice? A waste of time, I guess.

Probably because the majority of LB users don't use RL?

• Like 2

on the new update, when I press the windows start menu button, the music stops like it's supposed to, but if I bring another app to the forefront, the music starts playing again when bigbox is in the background. And if bb stays in the background, the music will eventually stop, then randomly play once without a loop, then stop right after. Then randomly plays once, rinse and repeat.

Edited by shinra358

On 1/11/2018 at 12:01 AM, Typhon said:

That would be nice - have a setting where you can just choose which PDF user you use for BigBox, and it could default to the built in one (for users who don't need to change anything).

We may add this later but I probably won't group it in with this release because it doesn't seem like it would be a popular request.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:40 AM, shinra358 said:

bigbox could also read the pdf pages that could bring up a wheel, big enough to only show one set of pages at a time and the pages could be scrolled like the horizontal or vertical game wheels. we really dont need an external pdf viewer at all when itll be so easy for bb to have 'ts own'.

Jason could code the triggers to use doubleanimation to enlarge/decrease said wheel size and thumbstick to shift position offsets because we dont have access to controller code. Would seem fast and easy since wheel code is already there. And if it cant be figured how to read inside a pdf, then pdf files can be dumped to a folder and be read that way. Lots of cbr readers are just zip files. Just sayin.

This way itll look like part of bb instead of an external app that doesnt fit with the current bb theme.

there isnt a wheel on the dtails page so there wont be any conflict with other wheels. click game option  to view  game manual option > manual wheel pops up > profit > cancel button to close it out.

This would be cool, but I don't think it would be possible using the Chromium Embedded Framework engine. We'd have to implement something more low-level. It would probably work, but it would be extremely resource-intensive and finicky.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:53 AM, Napalm2016 said:

Hi Guys

I like the integrated pdf viewer but for some reason I have 2 of them 1 called View Manual the other Games Manual 8D not quote sure if it is supposed to be there its only on there on 1 of my systems the other it doesnt appear I thought it might be a plugin but cant see it in the folder any ideas?

2018-01-11_18-40-02.flv

I honestly didn't watch the video (sorry ;)) but I'm guessing maybe it's from a plugin?

On 1/11/2018 at 11:38 PM, flores9 said:

(Inner Exception)

(Inner Exception)

(Outer Exception)

(Outer Exception)

Recent Log:

This error seems to come from the AddToGamesDB plugin.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:40 AM, shinra358 said:

on the new update, when I press the windows start menu button, the music stops like it's supposed to, but if I bring another app to the forefront, the music starts playing again when bigbox is in the background. And if bb stays in the background, the music will eventually stop, then randomly play once without a loop, then stop right after. Then randomly plays once, rinse and repeat.

Are you certain this is a new behavior with the 8.0 betas? I'm lost as to what would have caused it.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:17 PM, Mike Stewart said:

Very minor thing, but I noticed on the Changelog that it says 'Version 7.17'. Jason - not sure if this is because your original intention for the next version number was 7.17, and you then subsequently decided to make it 8.0 instead?

Yeah, I noticed that recently. That is correct.

1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

It's not a bug CriticalZone and the Default themes will always get recreated if not found on the startup. They are both the standard themes

Yup.

pdf comment: i was thinking along the lines of having the wheel view them like they do the game boxes. page per page. and have the wheel only load only the pages on screen which would look at the amount of wheel items indicated in the already existing wheel control instead of every game in the collection which would cut down performance loss also. this could be some that could be optional among all the wheels. but if done that way, caching could be disabled for that option because its only loading the few wheel objects on screen instead of the whole collection.

sound comment: yes, im sure.

• Like 1

Hey there,

I recently posted about a bug I was having, was surprised I was the only one with it. I don't use retroarch and instead use the standalone RA emulators. They don't seem to work with LaunchboxBox/BigBox,

Neil advised I post it here in the beta thread to see if it could possibly be added into the future. While I'm not familiar with how difficult this may prove and if I absolutely have to I will use Retroarch, I'd much rather not.

Thanks for reading,

On 1/12/2018 at 2:44 PM, wirtual82 said:

Because I use RL to view PDFs when in game, this update is not for me. However, it's good that Jason is not likely to include other RL features because why do things twice? A waste of time, I guess.

I would welcome the inclusion of the key features of RL that keep most of us current users around.  As soon as LB/BB incorporates Fade, Pause menu (and all the tabs within it), bezels (because not all of us use Retroarch), and the keymapping feature per-game, then i'm ready to ditch it.  That's the only reason I'm still using it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ItchyProphet said:

Hey there,

I recently posted about a bug I was having, was surprised I was the only one with it. I don't use retroarch and instead use the standalone RA emulators. They don't seem to work with LaunchboxBox/BigBox,

Neil advised I post it here in the beta thread to see if it could possibly be added into the future. While I'm not familiar with how difficult this may prove and if I absolutely have to I will use Retroarch, I'd much rather not.

Thanks for reading,

Responded in the thread. :)

4 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I would welcome the inclusion of the key features of RL that keep most of us current users around.  As soon as LB/BB incorporates Fade, Pause menu (and all the tabs within it), bezels (because not all of us use Retroarch), and the keymapping feature per-game, then i'm ready to ditch it.  That's the only reason I'm still using it.

Isn't that a list of pretty much every useful feature included in Rocket Launcher? :P

I'm not saying that we'll never tackle those features, because many of them I would love to have myself, but it's important to note that Rocket Launcher is no small project and it's made even more complicated by needing separate code for all those things for each individual emulator. If you throw in the fact that it's very bug-prone due to constantly changing versions of Windows and updates, constantly changing emulators, and forcing Windows to do things it really wasn't meant to do, it becomes a pretty big mess to implement, and an even bigger mess to maintain. So as much I as I'd love if this stuff could be implemented well and just work, it's pretty unlikely to happen any time soon, which is why I'm very glad the project exists.