LaunchBox Community Forums

How to make 3D PC/Windows DVD Game Cases - Tutorial

Robin55

@Robin55Sorry for thieving ur topic.. :)

found out that crappy locked jpg files will not work with script due to being ..locked..

fixed that

replaced with new script

Sorry about that

@cleverestMy man u can read what @Robin55posted and use it as guide. Short answer ,this script is for photoshop

Edited by Undertherainbow

• 3 weeks later...

@Undertherainbow there is a slight problem with the original action file I posted here. I have now tried it with two versions of Photoshop. it seems that the original Action file creates a slightly distorted spine. The thing is the top and bottom of the spine is fine but right in the center there seems to be some sort of warping going on and as a result if an image wraps around the case the center does not line up perfectly where it meets the spine. I have tried a few work arounds to try and fix this issue but so far I haven't managed it. Would you have a solution?

1 hour ago, Robin55 said:

@Undertherainbow there is a slight problem with the original action file I posted here. I have now tried it with two versions of Photoshop. it seems that the original Action file creates a slightly distorted spine. The thing is the top and bottom of the spine is fine but right in the center there seems to be some sort of warping going on and as a result if an image wraps around the case the center does not line up perfectly where it meets the spine. I have tried a few work arounds to try and fix this issue but so far I haven't managed it. Would you have a solution?

iit's ok actually I figured it out and I have updated the action file in the original post. 

Edited by Robin55
  • Like 2

@Robin55 Sorry man , i had my "beauty sleep" :) I am not sure if i noticed it ,maybe i wasnt paying that much attention, anyway that is kinda complicated, u need to find where in script at which moment problem happens, remove it and record new one or just record new movement after the fact before it finishes. So be kind to share so i dont have to search as well?Thanks!

Edited by Undertherainbow
  • Like 1

That would make for a nice set alright @Klopjero, But just so you know I can tell from the Spine in that picture that you don't have the latest version of my action file that I uploaded yesterday. It corrects the alignment where the spine meets the front of the box. Just FYI.

• Like 1

I'll start scrounging up good box art first, most work will be going into the spines. After I get the spines done I'll record action that will place box art and spines in the right place. I'd like to automate this process as much as possible.

Maybe I can generate spines by taking a percentage of the back cover and have that content aware filled smoothed, place logo in center, scale it and rotate it counter clockwise... hmmmmm

• Like 2

Do you have any experience with inserting existing images into an action? say I have a folder with clear logo's and I want to insert one onto my canvas, if I record that action, will it pickup the next one? or will it grab the same one ? is there a logic that I could make use of ? for instance find image that matches current file name..or something like that. @Robin55

@Klopjero I assume you have a set of images that are for the Spine and a set of images that are for the front cover. I'm afraid the only way I know of to combine the two is to use a program called ImageMagick, as far as I know Photoshop can't do it. ImageMagick uses the command line however but I can give you some pointers but you might be better of doing each one individually to be honest if this is going to be a one off thing? There's not THAT many games.

30 minutes ago, Robin55 said:

@Klopjero I assume you have a set of images that are for the Spine and a set of images that are for the front cover. I'm afraid the only way I know of to combine the two is to use a program called ImageMagick, as far as I know Photoshop can't do it. ImageMagick uses the command line however but I can give you some pointers but you might be better of doing each one individually to be honest if this is going to be a one off thing? There's not THAT many games.

+- 255 including the the might and magic games currently in beta.... it's enough to invest in automation. 

Yeah the shorter S spine is defiantly nicer, I see the long one looks a bit curved at the bottom, I assume that's the result of me trying to unwarp the original action file I found online. If you make the long one a bit shorter you would not notice that curve as I'm sure you know, or you could use the warp tool yourself to get it back as straight as possible at that point just for those boxes.