LaunchBox Community Forums

Pheonix Emulator Integration/Command Line Help?

HellfireEternal

Does anyone know any way to get the Phoenix Emulator (the one that supports Jaguar, 3DO, Game Gear etc.) to load games with Launchbox? It probably has some command line argument where I can pass the path of the game and define which emulator to load (it supports several systems) but I can't find it online anywhere. Any ideas?

Okay there are 2 Phoenix's one that was RetroArch based and one that is a multi system emulator for 3DO Jaguar and a few other that is supposedly the best emulator for Jaguar and 3DO which is what OP is referencing as far as I know though no one has figured out how to get it to work with LB

Yes, there are two different Phoenix's in the emulation world. One is the front-end that doesn't look like it is being worked on any longer the other, is an emulator from some Russian folks. I should have posted a link to clarify... (http://www.arts-union.ru/node/23

I am trying to navigate their forums to see if anyone knows of any way to get this to work but, it is in Russian so it isn't the easiest to read through (even with the translations it is a bit sloppy). I applied for membership so I can make a post, just waiting for approval from a moderator. I will update everyone over here if I get anything worked out!

You can't launch a game via command line for Phoenix, not even a hotkey to start a game once the gui is open. You need to have added the game through the emu UI already, select it, and click play to start it. The current RL module sets the game as selected in the emu's xml file then automates the UI selections to load a game, but only works for 3DO.

I modified that RL module to work with the other supported systems but I still need to clean some things up and test functionality with stuff like bezels and I have other things taking priority so no ETA on that.

The emulation itself is good, especially for Jaguar, but it definitely seems like the devs wanted to force you to use their GUI based on the lack of basic command line support and other design choices but it's still doable.

Edited by Agent47

Here's the post I made, it also links to the rocketlauncher script

On 21/03/2017 at 11:51 PM, ALIE said:

How did you makes work in RL? 

open the phoenix.ahk with a text editor (should be in RocketLauncher\Modules\Phoenix) delete everything there and replace it with the code in this thread http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?4160

I used the first code example, however it gave me a problem which turned out to be this line

dialogOpen := i18n ("dialog.open")    ; Looking up local translation

I changed it to

dialogOpen := ("dialog.open")    ; Looking up local translation

The other problem is Phoenix has it's own database and you need to load your games individually in phoenix first which will add them to the phoenix.config.xml

There is an example config in the rocketlauncher thread but even after editing the paths and filenames I still had a lot of problems with it, it's safer to load the games yourself in phoenix first.

Once you've done all that it should work from rocketlauncher and of course then works from launchbox if you set rocketlauncher as the emulator.

• Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

I've been toying with this emulator today, and this is the only emulator that runs Club Drive for the Atari Jaguar and the only Atari Jaguar emulator that has Save States. Ahh crap. I think I may have to put my RocketLauncher cap on for this one.

@Agent47 Is it possible to get RocketLauncher to use Phoenix for Atari Jaguar?

Edited by JamesBond@ge

On 8/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, JamesBond@ge said:

I've been toying with this emulator today, and this is the only emulator that runs Club Drive for the Atari Jaguar and the only Atari Jaguar emulator that has Save States. Ahh crap. I think I may have to put my RocketLauncher cap on for this one.

@Agent47 Is it possible to get RocketLauncher to use Phoenix for Atari Jaguar?

It's possible, yes. I'm not sure if it's currently possible since I haven't posted my module yet.

There was a very hacky module someone posted to the RL forum but it only handles Jaguar, none of the other systems. It's also missing some important steps to ensure the proper UI controls are selected properly from what I recall the last time I looked at it.

• 7 months later...
15 minutes ago, d8thstar said:

50 dollar bounty to get phoenix integrated into launchbox, for both 3do and jaguar.

It's not really a case of getting it integrated into Launchbox though, Launchbox will work with any emulator that takes commandline inputs. If the emulator doesnt do that, like is the case here with Pheonix then its the emulator that needs changing in order to work with Launchbox. From reading some of the posts in this thread it seems like everything has to be done through the Pheonix UI only and nothing can be passed to it via commandline, so its a limitation of Pheonix rather than something that Launchbox can not do.

You don't want to use those modules in RL or as an example for an ahk in LB. They're missing some important functions.

I was holding off on posting my module because I wanted to implement better xml functions in RL so I could get rid of the regex stuff.

If I have some time this weekend I'll make sure nothing has changed with Phoenix and post the module on the RL forum. I could also easily translate that to an ahk for use in LB. I would need to set up an LB install to make sure it doesn't do anything funky with how LB handles the ahk script since I use a different frontend.

Edited by Agent47
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know the most updated methods as of now. I am adding Jaguar today and want the best emulator that can be integrated with Launchbox, or a link to whatever workaround method gets Phoenix integrated. Last time I played Jaguar titles I found Retroarch to be useless and used standalone Phoenix for average compatibility. Hopefully things have changed since then. I still use standalone 4DO for 3DO and haven't found any reason to change.