LaunchBox Community Forums

Hey @thecouchleague, welcome to the club! I'm SteamLauncher's developer and just wanted to ensure you were able to get the plugin working with the help provided by @fromlostdays (thanks btw). If you have any issues or questions, I would be happy to help. That's what this thread is for. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the plugin!

@Corgana, there are large number of games and application's these days that do not offer an exclusive full screen mode which work just fine with the Steam overlay so I doubt the issue is specifically related to that. Then, when you consider that the overlay IS working fine with Cemu, at least for the majority of people (this seems to be the case anyways), it makes the problem seem more likely related to some interaction between Cemu and some other system component. Again, that is totally just a guess on my part, but it appears that the overlay works fine in Cemu with a fresh Windows 11 install as I just built a new machine and it appears all is working well there.

Just a thought... Where is your Cemu installation and roms in relation to your Steam installation and your LB installation (both @Corgana and @fromlostdays)? Like, is your Steam installed on your system drive (C)? How about LB? Is Cemu located on a different drive or possibly even a network share? How about your Wii U roms?

Actually.. Let's try something else... Steam tracks each overlay injection attempt in a file located at "<Steam_Install_Dir>\GameOverlayRenderer.log" (also, look at the file "GameOverlayUI.exe.log"). Try renaming both of those files to "<original_filename>.OLD" and then try launching Cemu from Steam and starting a rom from within Cemu. After the rom is fully loaded, exit Cemu and then check the 2 new log files created. Now, rename those files to "<original_filename>.<CemuVulkan_or_CemuOpenGL>" (according to what rendered you had enabled in Cemu). Then, switch to the other renderer within Cemu, close Cemu, and then relaunch Cemu from within Steam and do the entire process again. Post those files on Pastebin and provide the URLs here. It might give us some additional information which could help track down the issue. If nothing else, we can compare my own log files in which the overlay is working with your own, in which it isn't.

2 hours ago, Lahma said:

Hey @thecouchleague, welcome to the club! I'm SteamLauncher's developer and just wanted to ensure you were able to get the plugin working with the help provided by @fromlostdays (thanks btw). If you have any issues or questions, I would be happy to help. That's what this thread is for. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the plugin!

@Corgana, there are large number of games and application's these days that do not offer an exclusive full screen mode which work just fine with the Steam overlay so I doubt the issue is specifically related to that. Then, when you consider that the overlay IS working fine with Cemu, at least for the majority of people (this seems to be the case anyways), it makes the problem seem more likely related to some interaction between Cemu and some other system component. Again, that is totally just a guess on my part, but it appears that the overlay works fine in Cemu with a fresh Windows 11 install as I just built a new machine and it appears all is working well there.

Just a thought... Where is your Cemu installation and roms in relation to your Steam installation and your LB installation (both @Corgana and @fromlostdays)? Like, is your Steam installed on your system drive (C)? How about LB? Is Cemu located on a different drive or possibly even a network share? How about your Wii U roms?

Actually.. Let's try something else... Steam tracks each overlay injection attempt in a file located at "<Steam_Install_Dir>\GameOverlayRenderer.log" (also, look at the file "GameOverlayUI.exe.log"). Try renaming both of those files to "<original_filename>.OLD" and then try launching Cemu from Steam and starting a rom from within Cemu. After the rom is fully loaded, exit Cemu and then check the 2 new log files created. Now, rename those files to "<original_filename>.<CemuVulkan_or_CemuOpenGL>" (according to what rendered you had enabled in Cemu). Then, switch to the other renderer within Cemu, close Cemu, and then relaunch Cemu from within Steam and do the entire process again. Post those files on Pastebin and provide the URLs here. It might give us some additional information which could help track down the issue. If nothing else, we can compare my own log files in which the overlay is working with your own, in which it isn't.

Hello, thank you for responding and I appreciate your work. For whatever reason, I am still not seeing the SteamLauncher in the Tools drop down. Not exactly sure why still.

18 hours ago, Lahma said:

Firstly, for me those things are spread out over 3 drives. Steam is on the C Drive. Launchbox is on L Drive (SSD). Roms are on R Drive (Big internal HDD).

Secondly, I did the requested process. Here's a the pastebin specifically to the Gameoverlayrenderer file for the Vulkan launch. (Note, you said log files, for me they are .txt files I'm not sure if that's different or matters): https://pastebin.com/hhLC5Cm5

So, I do have the OpenGL version of both files, let me know if you need them. However, interestingly enough, when launching with Vulkan enabled in Cemu, Steam just doesn't create the "GameOverlayUI.exe.log" at all. I did OpenGL first, both files created no problem. When I switched to Vulkan Steam only created the GameOverlayRenderer file, no matter how many times I launched. 

Edited by fromlostdays

15 hours ago, thecouchleague said:

Hello, thank you for responding and I appreciate your work. For whatever reason, I am still not seeing the SteamLauncher in the Tools drop down. Not exactly sure why still.

If you send me a private message, I'll help you get all setup. Or you can reach out Lahma on Steam. It sounds to me like you're just not installing it properly, but personally I'd need some screenshots of your setup to see exactly what you're doing wrong.

If I use my intuition and take a wild guess.... did you decompress the file before you put it in the plugins folder? :D

Remember, download file from here: 

Decompress using 7zip or winwar or whatever you like. After unzipping you will be left with a folder called "Steamlauncher"

Put "Steamlauncher" folder in Launchbox/Plugins folder.

Open launchbox / close and reopen launchbox if its already open.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, Corgana said:

@fromlostdays I'm curious, when you launch a WiiU game via SteamLauncher, do your controls work as normal (it's playable) or is Steam assigning it the desktop controller config? I can't help but assume the issues are related.

Good question. I set up a desktop config called Disabled with no mapping a long time ago because it was confusing me at the time, and the controller doesn't work at all in Cemu when I launch with Vulkan. So it very well could be launching my empty desktop config. 

Edited by fromlostdays

2 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Good question. I set up a desktop config called Disabled with no mapping a long time ago because it was confusing me at the time, and the controller doesn't work at all in Cemu when I launch with Vulkan. So it very well could be launching my empty desktop config. 

Ah yup probably! I had previously set my desktop config to "gamepad" as a workaround (but it's not a solution because I also use the desktop config in other software)

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Corgana said:

SteamLauncher stop working yesterday for anyone else? Totally crashes launchbox when I try to launch a game. Works fine when disabled. Haven't changed and settings that I'm aware of.

Yes, Yesterday steam client received a update. Vtables need to be updated. @Lahma needs to update those.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 2:15 PM, Corgana said:

SteamLauncher stop working yesterday for anyone else? Totally crashes launchbox when I try to launch a game. Works fine when disabled. Haven't changed any settings that I'm aware of.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, Razor112 said:

Yes, Yesterday steam client received a update. Vtables need to be updated. @Lahma needs to update those.

Steam hasn't updated yet for me I guess, for whatever reason, and SteamLauncher is still working fine for me. But, there is an option in the SteamLauncher settings under the Misc tab to update the vtables. Not sure if it works or not as I can't test it, but its worth trying.

Edited by fromlostdays

49 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Steam hasn't updated yet for me I guess, for whatever reason, and SteamLauncher is still working fine for me. But, there is an option in the SteamLauncher settings under the Misc tab to update the vtables. Not sure if it works or not as I can't test it, but its worth trying.

That button is to update from @Lahma's server (not Steam), if you look- you'll see his last update was 5/23. So he has to update on his end before it can go out to everyone else's.

Wow... I swear some developer at Valve just sits around all day and schemes on nefarious ways they can make development of this plugin as difficult as possible... So, THIS time, they have radically altered the IClientShortcuts vtable, completely removing almost half of its entries. That is nearly 30 entries that are just poof.. gone! However if that was the only issue, that would makes things entirely too simple. No, they have also altered the way that temporary shortcuts work which means that any shortcut IDs that are generated based on the app ID of a temporary shortcut no longer produce the same value that they used to. I know most of this means little to nothing to most of you... What it really means at the end of the day is instead of this being an easy fix, it is going to take me many, many hours to fix things in such a way that the plugin is functional again. That being said, I hope I have made it clear over the years that I am dedicated to the continued existence of this plugin. I will fix things shortly and release an update. Unfortunately, because of the major changes, I probably won't be able to just do an update of the online vtables DB. I will likely have to release an actual plugin update (along with modifying the online vtables DB). Hopefully it won't take very long. I will keep y'all posted.

• Like 3
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

As a result of some lucky coincidences, I got things fixed (at least I think so) quicker than I thought I would. However, before I release the update publicly, it would be really helpful to have someone test out the new build 1st.. just to ensure my lazy testing isn't incomplete. Anyone who would like to volunteer to test out the new build, hit me up on Steam and I will send you a link. I would really appreciate the help!

• Like 3

Just posted the new update. Let me know if you come across any problems. Thanks!

P.S. I updated the plugin documentation. Also, I finally updated my GitHub page and everything there should be up to date.

https://github.com/lahma0/SteamLauncher

v0.9.8.2 (August 2, 2022)

• A Steam update made massive changes to the IClientShortcuts vtable, removing nearly half of its entries (about 30). Thankfully, none of the removed entries were critical to the functionality needed for the shortcut management the plugin performs.
  • The Steam update also introduced another change which is what prevented me from fixing the plugin by simply updating the online vtables DB. This change alters the way that temporary shortcuts work, making it so that the method previously used to generate shortcut IDs no longer creates the correct value. The more technical explanation is this: Shortcut IDs for non-Steam shortcuts are generated using the shortcut's name and exe path. Now however, temporary shortcut properties no longer actually show the shortcut title, exe path, or any other properties for that matter. The data obviously still exists but it isn't show and therefore Steam calculates the shortcut ID using these blank values causing Steam to always generate the same shortcut ID for all temporary shortcuts (because it is using blank values for the title and exe path). This may just be a bug but it doesn't really matter bc I am now using Steam's API to launch the game using its app ID instead of creating a shortcut using the shortcut ID.

• Like 3
  • Game On 1

@Lahma    I have a problem with the new release. When I launch a game from launchbox with steamlauncher I don't get the steam big picture in-game overlay. However if I start the temp shortcut from steam client directly big picture in-game overlay works properly. Steam input works but overlay considers it as desktop so I can't access controller configuration per game. It just shows the desktop configuration. "Use the big picture overlay when using a steam input enabled controller from desktop" setting enabled in steam client settings. I didn't have any problems in the old version and I didn't changed any of the settings both in steamlauncher and steam client.

The steamlauncher log is set to verbose log level.  Also GameOverlayRenderer and GameOverlayUI log files for both steamlaucher and steam client is in the attachments. Steamlauncher ones have steamlauncher extension.

debug.log GameOverlayRenderer.log GameOverlayRenderer.log.steamlauncher GameOverlayUI.exe.log.steamlauncher

9 hours ago, Razor112 said:

@Lahma    I have a problem with the new release. When I launch a game from launchbox with steamlauncher I don't get the steam big picture in-game overlay. However if I start the temp shortcut from steam client directly big picture in-game overlay works properly. Steam input works but overlay considers it as desktop so I can't access controller configuration per game. It just shows the desktop configuration. "Use the big picture overlay when using a steam input enabled controller from desktop" setting enabled in steam client settings. I didn't have any problems in the old version and I didn't changed any of the settings both in steamlauncher and steam client.

The steamlauncher log is set to verbose log level.  Also GameOverlayRenderer and GameOverlayUI log files for both steamlaucher and steam client is in the attachments. Steamlauncher ones have steamlauncher extension.

debug.log 10.73 kB · 0 downloads GameOverlayRenderer.log 15.31 kB · 0 downloads GameOverlayRenderer.log.steamlauncher 14.99 kB · 0 downloads GameOverlayUI.exe.log.steamlauncher 1.22 kB · 0 downloads

Everything looks perfectly fine in your debug.log file and I haven't gotten any other reports of such behavior which makes me believe it has got to be something particular to your setup. How are you starting the temp shortcut from Steam directly? Please post a screenshot of the temp shortcut you are manually starting in Steam.

5 hours ago, Lahma said:

Everything looks perfectly fine in your debug.log file and I haven't gotten any other reports of such behavior which makes me believe it has got to be something particular to your setup. How are you starting the temp shortcut from Steam directly? Please post a screenshot of the temp shortcut you are manually starting in Steam.

Well, Temporary shortcut stays in steam games list for that session until you completely close the steam client from system tray. That's how I managed to set controller configurations for the time being. Weird thing is steam recognizes that it's in that temp shortcut and also games recognizes their respective custom controller configurations. It's just the steam in-game overlay is unaware that you are actually in a game when game starts through steamlauncher so it doesn't switch to big picture in-game overlay. Well, I made a video showcasing the behavior.

150543375_2022-08-0507-19-56.mkv

Edited by Razor112

8 hours ago, Razor112 said:

Well, Temporary shortcut stays in steam games list for that session until you completely close the steam client from system tray. That's how I managed to set controller configurations for the time being. Weird thing is steam recognizes that it's in that temp shortcut and also games recognizes their respective custom controller configurations. It's just the steam in-game overlay is unaware that you are actually in a game when game starts through steamlauncher so it doesn't switch to big picture in-game overlay. Well, I made a video showcasing the behavior.

150543375_2022-08-0507-19-56.mkv 52.65 MB · 0 downloads

So it appears that Valve pushed another Steam update in the last couple of days or something which actually fixed the bug I mentioned in the changelog of the previous release (the bug that caused temporary shortcut properties to not be displayed correctly causing the shortcut ID to be generated based on empty data). A change I introduced to try to work around this issue appears to be the culprit behind the desktop overlay being used instead of the Big Picture overlay (whenever a controller is connected). I am rolling back this workaround since it appears that it is no longer needed (and obviously since it is causing the above issue). I will post an update shortly. Please let me know if it works for you and solves your issue. Thanks for the report @Razor112!

• Like 1