LaunchBox Community Forums

Appreciate the feedback @Corgana! FYI, I'm fixing to post another update which fixes a couple of bugs (crashes related to not having 'config.xml' and 'vtables.xml' files already in your SteamLauncher directory from previous releases) and also adds an additional 'Filter Type' to the 'Selective Use' feature.

Just posted the new update. Thanks to everyone who reported bugs and thanks to @JedExodus for requesting the addition of the 'Status' filter type to the 'Selective Use' feature.

v0.9.8.1 (May 24, 2022)

• Fixed a bug which crashed the plugin if the user did not already have 'config.xml' and 'vtables.xml' files in their SteamLauncher directory.
  • Added a 'Status' filter type to the 'Selective Use' feature which should help filter based on where games were imported from (Xbox Game Pass, GOG, etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Corgana said:

Here's a minor thing- the dropdown text on the "selective use" tab is white-on-white, so it can't be read unless hovered over.

Ya, I did notice that actually. The problem is related to the dark WPF theme I'm using for the UI. I messed with it briefly but the theme consists of a PILE of XAML code I have to sort through to fix the issue, so I ultimately decided it wasn't big enough of an issue compared to getting the update out as quickly as possible. I will definitely fix it though and release another minor update as quickly as possible. I appreciate the report @Corgana.

• Like 1

Hey @Qbertzelious! If you used the LaunchBox importer tool to import your GOG games and you open up the properties of those titles and they point to a custom URL (such as gog://launch/XXXXX or something similar), then they cannot work with SteamLauncher simply because it is impossible to intercept and redirect the game launch process. If the game properties however point to the game EXE or a shortcut file (.lnk) that points to the game exe, then it should work fine with SteamLauncher. If the game does use a custom URL, you can simply modify it to point the game executable instead and it should work fine then. If you find that your GOG imported games are pointing to the game exe or a shortcut that points to the game exe and they still aren't working, let me know, and I can look into the issue further and figure out what is going on. I hope that was a sufficient explanation. If not, let me know, and I will try to articulate further. Thanks!

Love this plugin! How do you get the big picture overlay to work with non steam games like you have in the image of super mario world attached to file download page? All I can seem to get is the ability to shift tab to the steam overlay.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:38 AM, Cheslin said:

Love this plugin! How do you get the big picture overlay to work with non steam games like you have in the image of super mario world attached to file download page? All I can seem to get is the ability to shift tab to the steam overlay.

In Steam options, you can turn on "show big picture overlay when in desktop mode". If that's what you're asking... 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JedExodus said:

Have done a bit of testing on latest update. In particular the filter by source option. All smooth sailing.

Love the added functionality. Makes my collection zero maintenance when streaming to my living room TV. 

Many thanks as always! 

I'm glad everything is working out well for you @JedExodus! Please let me know if you come across any issues or have any ideas for improvements or new features.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:38 AM, Cheslin said:

Sorry @Cheslin, somehow I missed your message. Was the recommendation from @fromlostdays able to fix your issue? If not, could you please provide a bit more detail as to what you are trying to accomplish or what issue you are having?

On 5/29/2022 at 7:00 AM, Lahma said:

Hey @Qbertzelious! If you used the LaunchBox importer tool to import your GOG games and you open up the properties of those titles and they point to a custom URL (such as gog://launch/XXXXX or something similar), then they cannot work with SteamLauncher simply because it is impossible to intercept and redirect the game launch process. If the game properties however point to the game EXE or a shortcut file (.lnk) that points to the game exe, then it should work fine with SteamLauncher. If the game does use a custom URL, you can simply modify it to point the game executable instead and it should work fine then. If you find that your GOG imported games are pointing to the game exe or a shortcut that points to the game exe and they still aren't working, let me know, and I can look into the issue further and figure out what is going on. I hope that was a sufficient explanation. If not, let me know, and I will try to articulate further. Thanks!

Thank you Lahma!

Ok, so I have a game pointing to the exe but still doesn't work. What do you need from me to figure out what the problem could be?

The game is Prodeus on GOG.

Have a great day!

On 6/7/2022 at 5:43 AM, Qbertzelious said:

Thank you Lahma!

Ok, so I have a game pointing to the exe but still doesn't work. What do you need from me to figure out what the problem could be?

The game is Prodeus on GOG.

Have a great day!

Hey @Qbertzelious! While the vast majority of games work without any issues, there are always a plethora of exceptions that can be caused by a variety of issues. In almost every single case, this is not going to be a result of any limitation with the plugin or its capabilities but instead, it is likely going to be an issue with Steam being able to hook the game properly and inject its overlay. One way you can test any game exe to be sure that there isn't a problem with SteamLauncher itself is by opening Steam and manually adding that game EXE to Steam's library via the "Add non-Steam game" feature. If you add the game exe to Steam that way and try to manually launch the game through Steam and the overlay doesn't work, then you know that the problem is related to Steam not being able to hook the game and injects its overlay.

With that being said, there are often many ways you can work around the issue of Steam not being able to inject its overlay. Without knowing the exact issue you're facing though, its hard for me to suggest any workarounds to try. From what little info I could find online, it sounds like Prodeus is a Unity game. If you'd like me to try to help you troubleshoot the issue, do a few things for me:

• Tell me what the path is to the game exe
  • Tell me what other executables you see in that same path (I'm trying to figure out if the game has a launcher exe or not).. Might be easier to just post a screenshot of the game's folder in file explorer
  • Create a non-Steam shortcut pointing to the game exe in Steam and then open up that non-Steam game's properties window and copy paste the following into the "Launch Options" field without the quotes: "-show-screen-selector"
  • Now try to launch that non-Steam shortcut.. because of the "-show-screen-selector" command line argument, you will likely see a pop-up window prior to the game launching that allows you to change some graphics options and such.. just choose whatever (or change nothing) and run the game and check if the Steam overlay works (press SHIFT+TAB or the menu button if you're using a controller)

Once I've got that info from you, hopefully we can figure out what the issue is. I assume you've got the plugin working with other games/emulators/roms within LaunchBox, right? It is just this game that you are having an issue with, correct?

• Like 1

Is this broken for anyone else as of today?  Nothing will launch with it enabled.  Every time I try to launch anything, regardless of platform/emulator, I'm getting the following error in the debug log despite the plugin UI correctly showing Steam as "Running:"

[Error] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - An error occurred while creating/launching the Steam shortcut: Failed to get proxy arguments because no proxy process was found.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:33 AM, six6to8eight said:

Is this broken for anyone else as of today?  Nothing will launch with it enabled.  Every time I try to launch anything, regardless of platform/emulator, I'm getting the following error in the debug log despite the plugin UI correctly showing Steam as "Running:"

[Error] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - An error occurred while creating/launching the Steam shortcut: Failed to get proxy arguments because no proxy process was found.

Not running into this issue at all. Have you tried a clean reinstall of the plugin?

@JedExodus Clean reinstall in terms of removing and re-adding a clean copy of the folder to the plugins directory?  I did try that, yeah.  Only other thing that changed which I can think of is that I installed some form of Net 2.0 somethingorother when Rocketlauncher prompted me to (possibly because the version of Rocketlauncher that I'm using is old).  Could that type of thing have conflicted at all with SteamLauncher's functionality?

Throwing this out there, but the issue isn't directly related to the Steamlauncher Plugin:

Is anyone else having trouble specifically with Cemu 1.26.2f (latest version) where the overlay refuses to pop up? This seems to be a problem specifically with the emulator (or at least my setup) and Steam. I know its not the plugin because I've used multiple methods to import the emulator (and the games) directly into Steam and the overlay still doesn't work, plus Lahma himself tried to help me troubleshoot it for a while and he's just as stumped. I'm hoping this is just a problem with this Cemu version as it worked in the past for me.

Also, I have tried a full fresh install of Cemu to the same results. I'm tired of messing with it atm but tomorrow I'll see if I can't install an older version of cemu to test. 

Thanks peeps!

Edited by fromlostdays

On 6/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, fromlostdays said:

Throwing this out there, but the issue isn't directly related to the Steamlauncher Plugin:

Is anyone else having trouble specifically with Cemu 1.26.2f (latest version) where the overlay refuses to pop up? This seems to be a problem specifically with the emulator (or at least my setup) and Steam. I know its not the plugin because I've used multiple methods to import the emulator (and the games) directly into Steam and the overlay still doesn't work, plus Lahma himself tried to help me troubleshoot it for a while and he's just as stumped. I'm hoping this is just a problem with this Cemu version as it worked in the past for me.

Also, I have tried a full fresh install of Cemu to the same results. I'm tired of messing with it atm but tomorrow I'll see if I can't install an older version of cemu to test. 

Thanks peeps!

Hey @fromlostdays, just to be sure, I checked all my software versions and it looks like the issue likely has nothing to do with that. I too am using the lastest Cemu 1.26.2 (product version 1.26.2f), the latest LaunchBox 12.11, and the latest version of Steam. The overlay is working fine for me. Remind me again.. You said that when you manually add Cemu as a non-Steam shortcut to Steam that the overlay still doesn't work (even after you load a game in Cemu), right? Do me a favor and check these Steam settings and tell me if you have them set the same as me:

image.thumb.png.62b0a8ff6d0e6e0cece2775412d43b7f.png

Let me ask you a few more questions to see if we can't figure out this issue of yours.

• Are you using Vulkan or OpenGL in Cemu?
  • Do you have any other software installed/running which might be trying to inject its own overlay (MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner, Xbox Game Bar, Nvidia GeForce Experience, Discord, SpecialK, etc)?
  • ***BIG ONE*** Are you trying to run Cemu as administrator ('Run this program as administrator' checked in the 'Compatibility' tab in the cemu.exe file properties dialog) when Steam and/or LaunchBox are NOT running as administrator? (This will absolutely cause the overlay not to work as Steam can't inject its overlay into a process running with higher privileges than itself.)

When you respond back with this info (and if none of this fixed your issue), I will see what else I can suggest that might be helpful in troubleshooting the issue. If worst comes to worst, I'd be happy to remote into your machine for a few min to see if I can resolve the issue (Teamviewer, Windows Remote Desktop, or whatever). Just let me know!

• Game On 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:13 PM, fromlostdays said:

Thanks peeps!

Yes, been having this issue a few months now with CemU, but I'm pretty sure it's not related to SteamLauncher or Launchbox. I've tried using Glossi to launch CemU to Steam and that didn't work either.

One "solution" I have is to use the "gamepad"  profile for Steam's desktop config, but that will only work for a single controller and you can't use the desktop config anywhere obviously.

It seems that (for some unknown reason) Steam will only recognize CemU as a desktop program, and (also for some unknown reason) CemU does not recognize Steams Xinput controllers.

Let us know if you find an older version that works!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lahma said:

Hey @fromlostdays, just to be sure, I checked all my software versions and it looks like the issue likely has nothing to do with that. I too am using the lastest Cemu 1.26.2 (product version 1.26.2f), the latest LaunchBox 12.11, and the latest version of Steam. The overlay is working fine for me. Remind me again.. You said that when you manually add Cemu as a non-Steam shortcut to Steam that the overlay still doesn't work (even after you load a game in Cemu), right? Do me a favor and check these Steam settings and tell me if you have them set the same as me:

image.thumb.png.62b0a8ff6d0e6e0cece2775412d43b7f.png

Let me ask you a few more questions to see if we can't figure out this issue of yours.

• Are you using Vulkan or OpenGL in Cemu?
  • Do you have any other software installed/running which might be trying to inject its own overlay (MSI Afterburner/Riva Tuner, Xbox Game Bar, Nvidia GeForce Experience, Discord, SpecialK, etc)?
  • ***BIG ONE*** Are you trying to run Cemu as administrator ('Run this program as administrator' checked in the 'Compatibility' tab in the cemu.exe file properties dialog) when Steam and/or LaunchBox are NOT running as administrator? (This will absolutely cause the overlay not to work as Steam can't inject its overlay into a process running with higher privileges than itself.)

When you respond back with this info (and if none of this fixed your issue), I will see what else I can suggest that might be helpful in troubleshooting the issue. If worst comes to worst, I'd be happy to remote into your machine for a few min to see if I can resolve the issue (Teamviewer, Windows Remote Desktop, or whatever). Just let me know!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW. 

I've tried like every permutation of every setting of every version of every imaginary number physics equation to get this to work. haha. EXCEPT, switching from Vulkan to OpenGL... which I just tried and Steamlauncher worked perfectly. So do the various nonsteam games I have for cemu and zelda now. I'm quoting Corgana below so they get a notification in case this fixes it for them. Its not totally ideal because you can't do async shaders in OpenGL as far as I know, but it's good enough for me. Thanks as always Lahma. The weird part is... aren't you using Vulkan? What could cause Steam to freak out over a renderer like that?

Let me go ahead and answer all your questions just in case its a compounding issue:

1: Works in OpenGL, not in Vulkan

2: I have Xbox Game Bar, Discord and GeForce experience, but AFAIK none of them are actively running... maybe they got a background process going I'm not aware of? 

3: I tried every permutation of having Steam and or Cemu running as ADMIN, none works, so I set them all back to not running as admin. 

10 hours ago, Corgana said:

Let us know if you find an older version that works!

As above, try checking to see if you're using the Vulkan renderer in cemu and switching to OpenGL.