LaunchBox Community Forums

Oh joy... Appears Valve has likely made some major changes to the Steam Client Shortcuts interface again... Likely some of the vtable offsets have changed. I will look into this as quickly as possible so that those of you who wish to use the beta version of Steam may continue to do so.

Note: I have not actually verified that the beta version of Steam is broken with the plugin.. I am only assuming so based on several of your posts concerning issues while using the beta version of Steam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 4/3/2022 at 4:56 AM, Darkcloud said:

I have the same Problem, I am on Windows 11 and Steam Launcher just launches the Proxy and does nothing afterwards. 

Did you ever figure this out? I decided to give Windows 11 another go and of course the same issue. I'm just gonna roll back to Windows 10 and call it a day. Apparently  people have various issues with various problems in Windows 11 that worked fine in 10.

3 hours ago, The_Keeper86 said:

Did you ever figure this out? I decided to give Windows 11 another go and of course the same issue. I'm just gonna roll back to Windows 10 and call it a day. Apparently  people have various issues with various problems in Windows 11 that worked fine in 10.

I wouldn't go reverting back to windows 10 over this, since I can verify it works on windows 11 just fine. Are you in the Steam Beta program? Just reading back a few posts and that seems to have caused some problems. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

I wouldn't go reverting back to windows 10 over this, since I can verify it works on windows 11 just fine. Are you in the Steam Beta program? Just reading back a few posts and that seems to have caused some problems. 

Sadly not but  I guess this is not a Windows 11 problem.

7 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

I am on the Beta so that might be it. Left the Beta, works now. 

Edited by Darkcloud
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

15 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Well once I revert back to Windows 10 (I had an image backup I didn't revert back via Windows 11's update/recovery settings) it works as it should. Maybe if I did a clean install of 11 it might work? I also checked and wasn't rolled in the beta of Steam. I appreciate the reply guys!

There is no problem with the plugin on Windows 11. I develop and run the plugin on Windows 11. The only current issue is if you're running the Steam beta which I will push out an update for soon. You won't have to actually manually update the plugin though. As long as you have internet access, the plugin will automatically update its vtable offset list online which should fix the issue with the Steam beta. I'm trying to push out the update as quickly as possible but as usual, I'm just a bit swamped with work stuff at the moment. Hopefully I should be able to get the updated offset list pushed out in the next few days though. Sorry about the delay.

If you want to msg me on Steam @The_Keeper86, I can remotely connect to your machine over TeamViewer and see what the problem is. I can assure you that the problem isn't directly related to Windows 11 though. Regardless, I would be happy to help you out. Just let me know.

• Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2022 at 2:15 AM, Lahma said:

There is no problem with the plugin on Windows 11. I develop and run the plugin on Windows 11. The only current issue is if you're running the Steam beta which I will push out an update for soon. You won't have to actually manually update the plugin though. As long as you have internet access, the plugin will automatically update its vtable offset list online which should fix the issue with the Steam beta. I'm trying to push out the update as quickly as possible but as usual, I'm just a bit swamped with work stuff at the moment. Hopefully I should be able to get the updated offset list pushed out in the next few days though. Sorry about the delay.

If you want to msg me on Steam @The_Keeper86, I can remotely connect to your machine over TeamViewer and see what the problem is. I can assure you that the problem isn't directly related to Windows 11 though. Regardless, I would be happy to help you out. Just let me know.

Sad to report to you @Lahma that this issue now seems to have been rolled into the main Steam release as of today :(

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:12 AM, JedExodus said:

Sad to report to you @Lahma that this issue now seems to have been rolled into the main Steam release as of today :(

Just wanted to let y'all know that I'm aware that the latest Steam update broke the plugin. I'm coding away as quickly as possible to get the fix pushed out. I'm trying to get the fix pushed out in the next day if I can. The release might prove to be a bit buggy since it will include month's of other major changes I've made to the code base but I can fix any bugs that are found quickly. I'll post back here when I push out the update.

• Thanks 5

Just wanted to let y'all know I'm very close to having things finished up. Obviously it has taken a bit longer than expected (what's new, right?) but considering I've completely rewritten about 30% of the code base from scratch and have spent about 25 hours coding in just the last few days, the update has been delayed for lack of trying. Give me just 1 or 2 more days and I'll have the update ready. The update will also include the new filtering or "conditional usage" functionality many of you have been requesting. You can view the link below for more info on how it will work:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Game On 1

The new update, v0.9.8.0, has been posted to the plugin download page. Please note, I have not done extensive testing on this prior to release. If you have any issues or find any bugs, please report them here in the support thread and I will attempt to fix them as quickly as possible. Also, please let me know how the new 'Selective Use' (or 'Filtering') feature works for all of you. I'm curious to know if many of you find it helpful or not. Thanks!

v0.9.8.0 (May 23, 2022)

• Overhauled a large portion of the codebase, changing nearly all functionality related to Steam internals into dynamic code that can be updated from an online database. Now, regardless of whether vtable offsets are modified or the number/order/type of parameters are changed, I can fix any broken functionality by simply updating an online definitions database. This should make future updates much quicker and more seamless.
  • Added a much requested feature: the ability to selectively use the plugin based on a list of filters. This new feature can be found in the settings menu under the tab labeled 'Selective Use'. I won't go into a lot of detail here as I believe it is pretty self-explanatory but I will describe one thing that might not be totally clear by the description in the settings menu. In LaunchBox, if you open any game's properties window and navigate to the 'Custom Fields' tab, you can add a new entry and set the key to 'SLEnabled' (without the quotes). If you then set the value to '0', this game will ALWAYS be ignored by SteamLauncher, regardless of any user-supplied filters. Alternatively, you can set the value to '1' and this game will ALWAYS have its launch intercepted (and run via Steam) by SteamLauncher, regardless of any user-supplied filters. If you have any additional questions, just leave a message on the support thread and I would be happy to explain things further.

• Thanks 6

5 hours ago, Lahma said:

The new update, v0.9.8.0, has been posted to the plugin download page. Please note, I have not done extensive testing on this prior to release. If you have any issues or find any bugs, please report them here in the support thread and I will attempt to fix them as quickly as possible. Also, please let me know how the new 'Selective Use' (or 'Filtering') feature works for all of you. I'm curious to know if many of you find it helpful or not. Thanks!

v0.9.8.0 (May 23, 2022)

• Overhauled a large portion of the codebase, changing nearly all functionality related to Steam internals into dynamic code that can be updated from an online database. Now, regardless of whether vtable offsets are modified or the number/order/type of parameters are changed, I can fix any broken functionality by simply updating an online definitions database. This should make future updates much quicker and more seamless.
  • Added a much requested feature: the ability to selectively use the plugin based on a list of filters. This new feature can be found in the settings menu under the tab labeled 'Selective Use'. I won't go into a lot of detail here as I believe it is pretty self-explanatory but I will describe one thing that might not be totally clear by the description in the settings menu. In LaunchBox, if you open any game's properties window and navigate to the 'Custom Fields' tab, you can add a new entry and set the key to 'SLEnabled' (without the quotes). If you then set the value to '0', this game will ALWAYS be ignored by SteamLauncher, regardless of any user-supplied filters. Alternatively, you can set the value to '1' and this game will ALWAYS have its launch intercepted (and run via Steam) by SteamLauncher, regardless of any user-supplied filters. If you have any additional questions, just leave a message on the support thread and I would be happy to explain things further.

New update is working great so far. Thanks so much, everyone appreciates the effort you put into this stuff.  Makes things so much easier to manage for retro games and different control schemes on PC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rfj831@gmail.com said:

New update is working great so far. Thanks so much, everyone appreciates the effort you put into this stuff.  Makes things so much easier to manage for retro games and different control schemes on PC.

No problem! Sorry it took so long to get the update out. Hopefully all the time I spent rewriting a large portion of the code ends up making future updates much quicker and easier to perform. Manual updates of the actual plugin DLL should now only need to be done for actual feature updates and bug fixes and such. Any breaking changes made to the Steam client library should now be fixable with a quick and easy update to the online definitions database.

I look forward to hearing about your (or anyone else's) experience with the 'Selective Use' feature (if that is something you are even interested in). I need to look back through the support thread and see specifically who it was that was requesting that feature (I know there was at least a few of you).

• Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 2

The new version of plugin crashes the launchbox on startup. It hangs on loading plugins... then crashes. I use windows 11 Pro.

Here is the crash log from event viewer

Spoiler

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 12.11.0.0, time stamp: 0x6215dcc3
Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 4.700.21.56803, time stamp: 0x6196f4f7
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000000000049bd8
Faulting process id: 0x3294
Faulting application start time: 0x01d86f46a673085a
Faulting application path: J:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\3.1.22\coreclr.dll
Report Id: aeac69f1-dc5e-40de-a90e-af467d67921c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I also installed fresh windows 11 in a vm and behavior is the same.

Here is the event viewer log from fresh windows 11 vm. There have pretty much the same error.

Spoiler

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 12.11.0.0, time stamp: 0x6215dcc3
Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 4.700.20.26901, time stamp: 0x5ec48a29
Fault offset: 0x0000000000049c18
Faulting process id: 0x1348
Faulting application start time: 0x01d86fa2bd667ccc
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Test-VM\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\3.1.6\coreclr.dll
Report Id: 8e563f9c-92b9-4c5e-926b-04f097575e63

I also checked the SteamLauncher plugin location but there was no log file so plugin itself didn't produce any.

I did some research about exception code: 0xc00000fd and it is a StackOverFlowException. So there must be some recursion in the plugin somewhere.

27 minutes ago, Razor112 said:

The new version of plugin crashes the launchbox on startup. It hangs on loading plugins... then crashes. I use windows 11 Pro.

Here is the crash log from event viewer

Reveal hidden contents

Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 4.700.21.56803, time stamp: 0x6196f4f7
Fault offset: 0x0000000000049bd8
Faulting process id: 0x3294
Faulting application start time: 0x01d86f46a673085a
Faulting application path: J:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\3.1.22\coreclr.dll
Report Id: aeac69f1-dc5e-40de-a90e-af467d67921c

I also installed fresh windows 11 in a vm and behavior is the same.

Here is the event viewer log from fresh windows 11 vm. There have pretty much the same error.

Reveal hidden contents

Faulting module name: coreclr.dll, version: 4.700.20.26901, time stamp: 0x5ec48a29
Fault offset: 0x0000000000049c18
Faulting process id: 0x1348
Faulting application start time: 0x01d86fa2bd667ccc
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Test-VM\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\3.1.6\coreclr.dll
Report Id: 8e563f9c-92b9-4c5e-926b-04f097575e63

I also checked the SteamLauncher plugin location but there was no log file so plugin itself didn't produce any.

I did some research about exception code: 0xc00000fd and it is a StackOverFlowException. So there must be some recursion in the plugin somewhere.

Its gotta be something with your setup @Razor112 because yours is the 1st report I've gotten of this issue. There are many other people having absolutely no issue with the new update. If you msg me on Steam, I would be happy to help you troubleshoot the issue.

6 hours ago, Lahma said:

Its gotta be something with your setup @Razor112 because yours is the 1st report I've gotten of this issue. There are many other people having absolutely no issue with the new update. If you msg me on Steam, I would be happy to help you troubleshoot the issue.

FWIW I am encountering the same, on Windows 10, but it only started happening after I wiped SteamLauncher's config.xml. Before that it crashed for me upon opening SL's settings, but not on startup.

EDIT:

Confirmed - I sourced a premade config.xml and LB now boots. However, it crashes on opening SteamLauncher settings and the callstack hints at the same issue, but with a vtables.xml file:

image.thumb.png.fca20dcd103ae11f1d6328e4ae5df804.png

debug.log gets created properly (although empty), so it definitely is not an issue of LaunchBox's directory ACLs.

Edited by CookiePLMonster
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CookiePLMonster said:

FWIW I am encountering the same, on Windows 10, but it only started happening after I wiped SteamLauncher's config.xml. Before that it crashed for me upon opening SL's settings, but not on startup.

EDIT:

Confirmed - I sourced a premade config.xml and LB now boots. However, it crashes on opening SteamLauncher settings and the callstack hints at the same issue, but with a vtables.xml file:

image.thumb.png.fca20dcd103ae11f1d6328e4ae5df804.png

debug.log gets created properly (although empty), so it definitely is not an issue of LaunchBox's directory ACLs.

I also deleted the old SteamLauncher. I downgrade to old broken version to recreate the config.xml and vtables.xml and upgrade to the newest version without deleting those files everything works normally in the newest version. I talked with lahma on steam and he said he will release a patched version couple of hours later.

• Thanks 1