LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox - Select Random Game Feature fixed by "Wheel Spin"

FreeSoftwareServers

I have been looking for the feature to select random game in BigBox since day 1. I have been following the BitBucket url https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/195/big-box-option-to-random-select-game# . I was very sad and upset to see this had been "accomplished" via the spin wheel feature. This feature does not work on my system, in fact if I have guests, it showcases how laggy it can really be. Does anybody else agree or is this fine for most people? I would like to have this ticket re-opened or a new one created to have this feature implemented. It should be simple, something that takes you directly to a random game with the option to launch it. It should be dependant on the page your on, like if I'm in N64, it should be a random N64 Game. I am not a coder, I can do basic shell scripting, but this seems like an easy feature to implement and the original BitBucket page was created in 2015 :O. I know there are many threads on this on the forums, so it is a sought after feature and would really make the biggest difference in my "day-2-day" gaming as I would love to start playing random games when I have friends over. 

(One thing at a time, but a feature to filter to only multiplayer games/one player games would be nice in the random games, but really, you could just select "next random game" if the first one is(n't) multiplayer)

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more. I use the wheel spin usually and, while I do like the 'visual flair' of the wheel spin feature, this has become far from ideal now that I am running an multicade with 700+ games! I have to hold the button for far too long (getting close to 30s!) just to have it complete one revolution. 

I feel a true random game selector could easily be implemented, as this feature is already present (though somewhat buried) in Launchbox (and it does EXACTLY what you described here!). I actually have begun to use that for when I want a truly random game, since I always seem to gravitate towards the same games otherwise. I just wish there was an option to bind the normal Launchbox feature to a key in BigBox.

I want to reiterate that the Launchbox random game selector does exactly what you stated, even down to picking a game from whatever list of them you currently have up. All we'd need is the option in BigBox to bind this command to a key, essentially.

Here's a screenshot showing where it is:

5acd96b079770_Randomgame.thumb.png.bae2310b10239923c137d9dfc51f9d6d.pngI know it's not as flashy as using BigBox, but in the mean time maybe you can use this for when you want to pick a truly random game until a BigBox equivalent exists?

Edited by MayorQwert

• 2 weeks later...

Also going to give this another bump. I don't think it would be hard to implement a key binding that has the same function as "Select Random Game..." does to Big Box, and it would really make finding new games and quick arcade sessions all the more easy as this would let you just pop over and tap the random game button in Big Box.

On 4/24/2018 at 5:49 PM, MayorQwert said:

Also going to give this another bump. I don't think it would be hard to implement a key binding that has the same function as "Select Random Game..." does to Big Box, and it would really make finding new games and quick arcade sessions all the more easy as this would let you just pop over and tap the random game button in Big Box.

Yeah, I kind of agree. Rather than do all the spinning thing, just press a button to open a random "game details" page, or press a button to open a random game directly, bypassing all the animation, and hence the lag that comes with it.

View stats will probably not get the job done. That does not really tell Jason how much of the community really wants this fixed. 

I would recommend seeing if a bitbucket was opened for it and make sure to vote on it or if one does not exist open one and post it in this thread to get it voted on. Hopefully then you can get enough votes and it can be included in the next poll for things Jason will try to get implemented. 

@Retro808 a big bucket was open for this feature, but it was resolved via a patch in my opinion. Not a full implementation. 

I don't see a way to reopen the issue and that seems a bit harsh, my only recourse would be to create another issue but it's the same thing. I did comment on the bitbucket issue.

Suggestions are welcome!

@FreeSoftwareServers It may be a case of linking the ticket here and asking forum members who have a similar view as you to respond in that ticket the wheel spin is not meeting needs. It makes a bigger impact when you can visibly see how many people really want something. It has been a few months since implemented and in this thread there have only been 5 members to vocalize a want and in the bitbucket ticket 3 have responded since Jason closed it. It is likely going to take a lot more voices. 

Just my thoughts. If it ever makes it to a poll I would vote on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just wrote a plugin for this. It grabs all your games and selects a random one (as long as it isn't marked broken or hidden) and shows the details page. Easy peasy.

Here's the file. Put it in the LaunchBox Plugins directory and unblock it:

(File removed from thread, now available in the site downloads)

The only caveat is if you want to go back to scrolling your whole collection, you have to select "View All Games", "View Platforms", "View Platform Categories", etc. or however you like to view your collection from the system menu. This is because I'm manually setting the BigBoxViewModel, so it needs reset to continue to scroll through your collection normally. Not really a big deal, but it's a downfall nonetheless.

And here's a little example...

Edited by Grila
  • Like 4