LaunchBox Community Forums

Nemos Bartop 32inch First Build

NNEMO

Hello, Ive built my first bartop using a 32 inch vizio tv.

I put alot of effort into the cabinet, and im still not done, I still got to put the backpanel on and a few minor things.

Maybe 2 months to build because of experimenting with weight and diff materials, still configuring the software. 

Size in inches 30.5  Wide, 16.5 Depth, 27 Tall

Cabinet: 3/4 Wood, and 1/8. Weight is estimated 45 pounds atm, will increase alittle once i add the backpanel. I shaved off alot of the wood thinkness, and reinforced it with fiberglass. Ive been able to load it up in my car and take it to friends houses by myself.

I have 2 usb 2.0 at the front hidden on the black trim at the bottom right.

Gloss white vinyl covers the whole cabinet.

Currently I have all the basic systems, + wii, ps1, ps2 games, I still want to add more games once I get past a few bugs/problems with the emulators.

The 32inch tv is 1080p, the speakers are from the tv, they are really loud and sound high quality, I placed the tv buttons on the top back left side, power button starts the tv.

I have a power toggle switch, which starts the light for marquee, a button on the backside next to toggle switch starts the computer, and the tvs power button is on top.

The pros of having the tv is pretty badass, I can use the remote to change the volume, I can turn off the screen with remote by aiming at the marquee and it works. I would say that is the biggest feature of my bartop arcade.

Computer is a  i5 asrock with a gtx 1050ti, 500w psu, 4gb ram. Pretty standard harware running windows 7, Bigbox boots at startup. I got 3 harddrives atm, 2tb OS, 4tb and 8tb.

Controls/buttons: I messed around with diff layouts, and came to a offset 1st player, so I can solo play alot of the games and not have to break my neck looking at the center of screen. Because of the large width, 2 player games is really nice and your not bumping shoulders which a big reason why I went with this setup. I went with 2 extra buttons by the main 8 buttons to give me more options for newer consoles, so the total is 10 on top and 2 at the front. The 2 little buttons are linked to the side for pinball, and its working awesome. Im using the USB zero delay encoder the cheap one, and sanwa joysticks, buttons are Seimitsu which are pretty expensive, but man are they slick and easy to press, smooth like butter. "I tried some cheaper ebay rgb buttons which were way too stiff, I still havnt tried ultimarc rgb buttons yet"

Marquee: I custom made the artwork had it printed online, its a 4" by 29" The light is led dimable. I added mostly fighters and retroarch logo, and BigBox logo ;)   that deserves a like right there lol.

Overall I have everything working, I fixed alot of the problems that come with a big screen, I feel I came up with a few unique ideas of my own which really made this project last alot longer than it should have. Im still deciding on adding a trackball  in the middle. Let me know what you think!

20180312_214426.jpg

20180312_214534.jpg

Edited by NNEMO
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look very good for a bartop. I usually don't like them and prefer the full size cabinets.

For the trackball it depends of the games you want to play. Don't think to use it like a mouse in Windows. I have one and never use it outside Mame. Now, if I could change my control panel I'll use a spinner because I like Arkanoid a lot. A trackball is OK with this game but a spinner is better. Moreover you can play to car games with a spinner and an additional wheel.

Edited by Fablog

11 minutes ago, Fablog said:

Look very good for a bartop. I usually don't like them and prefer the full size cabinets.

For the trackball it depends of the games you want to play. Don't think to use it like a mouse in Windows. I have one and never use it outside Mame. Now, if I could change my control panel I'll use a spinner because I like Arkanoid a lot. A trackball is OK with this game but a spinner is better. Moreover you can play to car games with a spinner and an additional wheel.

I agree, I added two TurboTwist 2 Arcade Spinner Controls to my X-Arcade Tankstick with the 7' wheels and they were SO much fun. They were a little expensive all up but the quality is fantastic and really enhance the arcade experience.

• 4 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 7:32 PM, ckp said:

@NNEMO, i'm in love with your cab. it's perfect. it's my dream cab. i like it more than any others i have seen. you should sell me one!

Thank you, For my first build I learned alot, and there is still alot I want to do.

I want to add a trackball with a mouseclick mainly for the 3ds games, but that will take some custom printed parts to do. I will eventually get a 3d printer and see what I can come up with.

Using 3d printed parts would make this build alot easier and faster to make, Ill probably get on it soon.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:43 PM, jazzandvo said:

Im still working on getting a layout done, but I will msg you and post here once I build another one, I ended up wasting alot of money trying to figure out things and going through about 3 diff panel layouts lol, Im working on 2 more panel layouts right now to try to be cheap $, but i will figure it out.