LaunchBox Community Forums

Multi discs for Dreamcast and Gamecube

enurweb

Hi all!
Once again I would say I'm fairly new to the forum so feel free to move my post if it's in the wrong place.

I did some solid Googling on this particular topic and as for my PS1 collection of ROMS I found a perfect solution. My question is if I can do the same with Dreamcast and Gamecube.
What I did with multi disc games on the PS1 I was going to import using Retroarch. When I had games "Name.xxx.disc1..." and "Name.xxx.disc2...", I put all the bin and cue files in the same folder, fixed up the folder name a bit and then inside the folder I created a m3u file that contains the name of the cue files. That way importing the multi disc games into Launchbox I'm importing the m3u files and not the cue files. For all other games with a single disc I simply import the cue files.

So to my pickle right now... Can I do the same thing with my Dreamcast and Gamecube multi disc games?

For Dreamcast all my ROMS has a single gdi file, normally two bin files and one or more raw files put into game title folders.

For my Gamecube games they are all iso files put in one big Gamecube game folder. If my method would work I guess I have to make some game title folder to put the files in for the concerning games.

If I happen to be way off please feel free to guide me to a working method.

Launchbox will automatically combine multi disc games as long as they are named correctly, so like you say xxx Disc 1and xxx Disc 2 will be added to one game entry during import, and if you want to load the second disc you just right click the game and select disc 2. Also i should add that you only need to import the .cue files for ps1, and the .gdi files for Dreamcast, as those files have the data for the emulators that is all that is needed to be imported into launchbox.

Thanks for answering :)

Well, I did import all my Dreamcast and Gamecube already and I do see they are combined into one game and like you're saying I can right click and the discs are there.

The neat thing about the PS1 method with m3u files is that it seems the games then are automaticly changing the discs without prompting about a disc change.

The second issue I have with the right clicking inside Launchbox is that I plan to use BigBox on an external drive plugging into any stereo bench HTPC popping BigBox up on the TV. With that system I plan on hooking up my Xbox one controllers to navigate and play games. Would be nice to have a solution without having to need the keyboard when playing or even without the disc change prompt.

Aye! :)

Have already imported PS1 games also and they are running smooth from both m3u and cue files as source of import. I noticed when I imported PS1 the first time and the LB combine the games that I had that right click option of course mentioned in the first reply. One of my multi disc games prompted me very fast for another disc even before starting to play the game, after some intro video. So I made the m3u files and re-imported the multi disc games. Fired the game back up in LB and "tadda!"... no prompt of any disc change at all, game kept going to the next step without my sorry ass lifting a finger :)

So if that is also possible for Dreamcast and Gamecube that would be appreciated as I mentioned will be using a Xbox one controller and not a keyboard. I just ran with the built in Redream core by the way for Dreamcast.

from what I'm reading Dolphin has a menu item for changing disks and its as simple as using that whether or not that is possible from a controller I have no clue probably need some type of keymapping software to assist with that.

14 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Its in Options/Hotkey settings, right click the change disc option and use the top dropdown to pick your controller and pick the button you want. If you want a button combo pick a button and use the "and" option on the right and pick a second button.

This is what Neil said that you can do in Dolphin. Dolphin allows you to assign "Hotkeys" to a button on your controller.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

For PS1 in my experience with bin and cue files by keeping multi disc game files in the same folder. Then entering cue file names including .cue at the end into a m3u file. Will make RA read next disc automatically.

Thats why I was hoping Gamecube and Dreamcast might have similar behaviour.

3 minutes ago, enurweb said:

For PS1 in my experience with bin and cue files by keeping multi disc game files in the same folder. Then entering cue file names including .cue at the end into a m3u file. Will make RA read next disc automatically.

Thats why I was hoping Gamecube and Dreamcast might have similar behaviour.

Ok cool that's what I was wondering about. Just trying to find away to convert my multi disk chds back to cue/bin or convert the chd itself to m3u if possible?