LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch won't launch from LaunchBox (please read the description)

ToffanaDogg

Dear LB users,

I know that the problem I bring to you has been fixed so many times and I feel bad for asking again about it, but I'm a little desperate because I'm not finding a solution for my case. I'm a user of launchbox since one year ago and now I can't live without using LB as my main platform for videogames. I did the first installment in my laptop some months ago where it's working at 100% and now I'm having problems in my main computer where I also want to have my game station (so more or less I knew how to configure LB).

The problem is that RetroArch won't launch from LaunchBox when trying to play SNES and GBA games, while without LB they work perfect in Retroarch

->Try to install LB and RetroArch in my computer following the LB tutorials (everything done in the same way as this video)
->Configuring retroarch as indicated in the video (see attached pictures)
->Imported the roms with their Associated Platform indicated correctly
->Roms work on RetroArch but they don't get launched in LB, instead of running the game it appears the blue circle spinning and nothing happens

Thank you very much for your time, your help is very valuable to me!!

foto d.png

foto libretros.png

I'm having the same problem as well.

My LaunchBox is apparently configured correctly but it does not start the games.

Using Retroarch directly games start with no problem.

Just like the colleague I've seen several topics on the subject today and none seems to be the same problem as mine.

Can someone help us? Or if the friend above has already discovered what's the problem can give me a help.

Something similar happened in another post with the import images looking good. The user was at a loss for the issue. After lots of troubleshooting what ended up fixing for him was deleting the line with the platform name and core than going to the bottom of the list an entering the data again from scratch. In this thread look on the second page a post from InsideSmoke. Now keep in mind another user tried this in a different post and it did not work for him. So give it a shot and let us know.

So my problem was easier than it think, it was in my native language.

While Retroarch was in the path "E:\Emulação\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe"  the problem was still happening.

For some reason the Launchbox could not make the Retroarch launch the roms, although it can still open Retroarch alone in the option when it is clicked in the game with the Right Button of the mouse.

This is because of the word "Emulação" because of the "ç" and "~" which in the Potuguese language is common have this caracteres in the words.

When I changed the path to "E:\Emulation\LaunchBox Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe" the problem was solved.

I point out that this problem only happened with Retroarch, while using Redream it didn't Happen.

Which was actually the reason why I discovered this problem. As it can be seen in the attachment, it transformed "Emulação" into "Emulao" but still recognized the path and was able to open the game by himself, and the LaunchBox managed to make it launch the Rom, which in the case of retroarch did not happen.

61605319_CapturadeTela(4).thumb.png.e18f95c346b6f5ef74ccb60446ba70fb.pngThis only affects the path of Retroarch in case, if I keep the roms in a folder with these types of characters it can initiate the roms normally.

Clearly the problem lies in how the Launchbox handles those characters when it will start Retroarch along with a rom. For when using only Retroarch it recognizes the path normally (something that even Redream failed, although it still worked normally) and start the rom perfectly as I said earlier.

• 1 month later...

I'm really sorry to answer now my own question, but my problem was the same as it was for the user CoOlokey -above this comment- and I wanted to help others if this can happen to them. 

It was because in spanish the word emulation it is written as Emulación, with an accent that the program probably didn't recognize so I removed the ó. thank you very much for the replies I got some months ago, and sorry for being so late.

Edited by ToffanaDogg
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2018 at 5:54 PM, ToffanaDogg said:

I'm still launching the games without LB what is hurting me a lot, so I'm still waiting for a solution too xD

Guess I figured it out for those who the solutions above didin't worked out. Your version of Launchbox (as well as mine) was probably considering the old name of the "Mupen64Plus" .dll (mupen64plus libretro).

Changing this value to mupen64plus_next_libretro in Associated Platforms solved my problem.

I'm brazilian, so, below is the portuguese translation:

Acho que descobri para aqueles que as soluções acima não deram certo. Sua versão do Launchbox (assim como a minha) provavelmente está considerando o nome antigo do DLL "Mupen64Plus"  (mupen64pluslibretro). Alterar esse valor ou qualquer que seja o que está lá para mupen64plus_next_libretro em "plataformas associadas" quando você edita o emulador resolveu meu problema. Tá aí o print anexo de como é preciso deixar.

Screenshot_1.png

• 5 months later...

Guys, I was having a similar problem - where retroarch would not work when launching a game using launchbox.

My problem was the following:

I imported my Super Nintendo games using a custom plataform name. I've chosen to import Snes games using the name "Nintendo - SNES", so all Nintendo plataforms would be next to each other. I've selected the scrap option to scrap the games as Super Nintendo Entertaiment System and all the games were imported successfully.

But since retroarch will not automatically add custom plataform names to its associated plataforms options, all I had to do was to add the new plataform name under associated plataforms and select the correct core.... and voila, it is now working as intended. 

image.thumb.png.e1d7e1849f0c481bed309d07cc399485.png

Hope this also helps you guys.

31 minutes ago, darkseekerliu said:

Guys, I was having a similar problem - where retroarch would not work when launching a game using launchbox.

My problem was the following:

I imported my Super Nintendo games using a custom plataform name. I've chosen to import Snes games using the name "Nintendo - SNES", so all Nintendo plataforms would be next to each other. I've selected the scrap option to scrap the games as Super Nintendo Entertaiment System and all the games were imported successfully.

But since retroarch will not automatically add custom plataform names to its associated plataforms options, all I had to do was to add the new plataform name under associated plataforms and select the correct core.... and voila, it is now working as intended. 

image.thumb.png.e1d7e1849f0c481bed309d07cc399485.png

Hope this also helps you guys.

You can also edit the existing entry's instead of adding a new one.

• 8 months later...
9 minutes ago, GWAVY said:

I can’t launch games with retroarch 

using launch box please fix

While I understand the frustration caused by stuff not working, no one here is a mind reader and will need FAR more information to be able to help you at all. Please create a new thread explaining things like, what games you are experiencing this problem with (andd what platform they belong to), what core you are attempting to start, and the file you are attempting to load and users can try and help you resolve your issue.

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2018 at 4:09 PM, ToffanaDogg said:

Dear LB users,

I know that the problem I bring to you has been fixed so many times and I feel bad for asking again about it, but I'm a little desperate because I'm not finding a solution for my case. I'm a user of launchbox since one year ago and now I can't live without using LB as my main platform for videogames. I did the first installment in my laptop some months ago where it's working at 100% and now I'm having problems in my main computer where I also want to have my game station (so more or less I knew how to configure LB).

The problem is that RetroArch won't launch from LaunchBox when trying to play SNES and GBA games, while without LB they work perfect in Retroarch

->Try to install LB and RetroArch in my computer following the LB tutorials (everything done in the same way as this video)
->Configuring retroarch as indicated in the video (see attached pictures)
->Imported the roms with their Associated Platform indicated correctly
->Roms work on RetroArch but they don't get launched in LB, instead of running the game it appears the blue circle spinning and nothing happens

Thank you very much for your time, your help is very valuable to me!!

foto d.png

foto libretros.png

I had the same prblem. I fixed that by uncheking the box "extract roms" when editing the retroarch emulator in launchbox

• 1 month later...