LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

6 minutes ago, cleverest said:

Thanks. The only Retroarch option I see that might cause this is the config_save_on_exit option is set to false in the new cfg whereas it was set to true in the original nestopia_libretro.cfg file. My app doesn't change this variable, so I have no clue why it was changed. All I can recommend at this time is exit Retroarch, manually edit the new cfg and change the value for config_save_on_exit to true, save/exit, then see if this helps. Please let me know how you make out.

8 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Thanks. The only Retroarch option I see that might cause this is the config_save_on_exit option is set to false in the new cfg whereas it was set to true in the original nestopia_libretro.cfg file. My app doesn't change this variable, so I have no clue why it was changed. All I can recommend at this time is exit Retroarch, manually edit the new cfg and change the value for config_save_on_exit to true, save/exit, then see if this helps. Please let me know how you make out.

I changed it to TRUE in the new one, launched a game and it was indeed set true, then made a small change and exited...it did not save it...I opened it and tried it save config again, it fails....no idea why it works fine for Atari 7800, but not NES (and others, I recall)

Just now, cleverest said:

I changed it to TRUE in the new one, launched a game and it was indeed set true, then made a small change and exited...it did not save it...I opened it and tried it save config again, it fails....no idea why it works fine for Atari 7800, but not NES (and others, I recall)

It sounds like you have some game overrides saved, or a core override. I would search for all cfg files under your Retroarch directory and see what comes up nestopia related.

I'm thinking because the 7800 uses a generic bezel for all games, and the NES using individual bezels, there has to be something different because of that...but what?

I noticed when I load 7800 it just plays, no popup msg, but when I load NES it says on bottom left: "configuration override loaded" in yellow text...does that help?

14 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

It sounds like you have some game overrides saved, or a core override. I would search for all cfg files under your Retroarch directory and see what comes up nestopia related.

I just have presumably what the bezel installer added in CONFIGS\NESTOPIA, many cfg files for each game to load specific bezels for each, so in the case of little nemo, the cfg is:  "input_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/NES/Little Nemo - The Dream Master (USA).cfg""

Edited by cleverest

Just now, cleverest said:

I just have presumably what the bezel installer added in CONFIGS\NESTOPIA, many cfg files for each game to load specific bezels for each, game in the case of little nemo, the cfg is:  "input_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/NES/Little Nemo - The Dream Master (USA).cfg""

Yes, the NES bezel pack should install a Netopia directory and a FCEUmm directory under config with the game specific cfg files. I was talking about any cfg files with nestopia in the name. Do you only have the one in config? Any others lurking in some other subdirectory?

1 minute ago, dragon57 said:

Yes, the NES bezel pack should install a Netopia directory and a FCEUmm directory under config with the game specific cfg files. I was talking about any cfg files with nestopia in the name. Do you only have the one in config? Any others lurking in some other subdirectory?

No I searched the entire Retroarch folder and sub-folders...I only have nestopia_libretro-FC.cfg (which is for my Famicom games, that's the only other one.

3 minutes ago, cleverest said:

No I searched the entire Retroarch folder and sub-folders...I only have nestopia_libretro-FC.cfg (which is for my Famicom games, that's the only other one.

Hmm, running out of ideas. Does overlays/Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg only have the original lines in it? See below:

overlays = 1
overlay0_overlay = Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png
overlay0_full_screen = true
overlay0_descs = 0

I sort of figured out a way around it, but it's not sustainable...

I marked as FALSE this line in the new config:  auto_overrides_enable = "false"  (it was true), when I load game, it loaded the generic NES bezel, instead of the game specific one and SAVED OKAY.

I then navigated via Retroarch to overlays and enabled the specific one under the GameBezels folder and IT SAVED...imagine doing that for hundreds of games though, LOL...

---

That new nestopia file looks like this and it matches the working Atari 7800 one in the same folder too:

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0

Edited by cleverest

11 hours ago, cleverest said:

So basically as long as I use the generic system bezel each time, I'm good..save config always works, but the moment I use a game specific bezel, it will save configs no longer...I guess I'm stuck with defaul bezels per system. ?

If you are willing to do a couple more things, I'll see what I can figure out. Do you have your original Retroarch backup that works? If so, can you zip it up and host it somewhere so I can download it? I would like a zip of the non-working Retroarch install as well. I can install them both here and debug.

All, I just posted the results of our latest bezel pack to Github, Super Famicom. It isn't totally exhaustive, but along with the other SNES bezels, the total number is getting up there. The bezels are available using the original RetroPie Bezel Pack script and my beta app for Windows.

2 hours ago, cleverest said:

I'll host those files later today and send you the link or you have a google drive I can throw it into?

Also, please provide what type of settings you are trying to save so I try the same things as you.

OK, after doing some reading, and testing, I THINK I know why some people have issues saving Retroarch options and some others don't. Please understand I am no Retroarch expert, by any means, but since I could never replicate the save issues, I knew I must be doing something different.

According to official Libretro docs and postings by the devs and mods on the libretro forums, there is a lot of confusion concerning how Retroarch config files are used, and how they are/can be saved.

Retroarch uses a layered approach to reading config files. It first reads the main cfg file called retroarch.cfg. It then looks for a core specific cfg under the config directory, example: nestopia_libretro.cfg. Lastly, it looks for a game specific cfg file that would be saved in a subdirectory under config using the same name as the core, in this case, Nestopia.

Here is the part that gets people in trouble. As long as a game override DOES NOT exist, you can save a new nestopia_libretro.cfg file from the Retroarch gui. If a game override does exist, you can't directly save to a new nestopia_libretro.cfg file. You must save a to a new output file which will start with -1 and increment from there if you don't clean up these new cfg files, example nestopia_libretro-1.cfg (Save New Configuration).

I have always saved to a new configuration when using bezels, exited Retroarch, then I overwrite the old cfg with the new one (usually by deleting the original, then renaming the new to the old, original name). Since I use the -c command line option for my Retroarch emulator mappings in Launchbox to load and use a custom config, this process keeps things working.

@cleverest, please try this process to see if it gets you where you want to be.

Edited by dragon57

I was afraid of that....the issue is Launchbox Retroarch settings allow you to specify which .cfg you want to load per platform...I don't want to ever have to change this. I want to give my collection to some family members, they have different joystick/gamepad configs and they won't know how (or want) to do this. That sucks...I guess if I keep it platform BEZELS, and not game specific, that's the best solution because at least I get a bezel vs none, right?

1 hour ago, cleverest said:

I was afraid of that....the issue is Launchbox Retroarch settings allow you to specify which .cfg you want to load per platform...I don't want to ever have to change this. I want to give my collection to some family members, they have different joystick/gamepad configs and they won't know how (or want) to do this. That sucks...I guess if I keep it platform BEZELS, and not game specific, that's the best solution because at least I get a bezel vs none, right?

Controller mappings are separate and can be saved outside of normal configs, so I see no reason why you can't do what you want and have bezels for each game too. Below is directly from the Libretro forum:

Remaps

Remaps are configuration files that store the parameters from the controls menu under Quick Menu. This is the recommended method to change core inputs without affecting GUI control or controls for other cores. We’ve been working hard to make this menu support all input remapping use cases and as of now it can do:

• Mapping keyboard keys from more than one gamepad (works with dosbox)
  • Mapping more than one button to the same action
  • Unmapping buttons
  • Unmapping analogs
  • Mapping a button to trigger an analog response (tested with mupen, can run on SM64 with the d-pad now, triggers a full analog tilt)
  • Mapping an analog to another analog (having more than one analog mapped to the same output causes issues)
  • Mapping an analog to produce a button response

Remaps can be saved in the same exact levels as overrides, core, content, dir. Remaps can save dpad analogue mode, libretro device.

Remaps are loaded on content load.

• Like 1