LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

I see. But the problem remains that a manual procedure still requires the save core for games. And therefore it will be enough to change core for the same platform (example from bsnes to bsnes performance) to end up with the same problem. However, since there is no universal romset for consoles, so the names of the files are very variable, it could not agree to take the name of the file from the launchnox xaml, so as to avoid doing all the manual correction of the names that do not match ?

cc/ @Jason Carr

Edited by dov_EL

5 hours ago, dov_EL said:

I see. But the problem remains that a manual procedure still requires the save core for games. And therefore it will be enough to change core for the same platform (example from bsnes to bsnes performance) to end up with the same problem. However, since there is no universal romset for consoles, so the names of the files are very variable, it could not agree to take the name of the file from the launchnox xaml, so as to avoid doing all the manual correction of the names that do not match ?

cc/ @Jason Carr

I have always thought of no-intro to be the set to use for cartridge based systems, and Redump for CD based - But personally I just use the latest official HyperSpin XMLs for my collection atm until something else comes along. Planning on making my own XMLs in the future, but that is for another thread

2 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

@dragon57 Just my opinion, but for now the most complete list would probably be SupraKarma's XML from HyperBase subsection of HyperSpin forum. it covers 387 games in total and he is pretty OCD about things, I can send you the file if needed for testing or anything (only if wanted ofcourse :))

Thanks. I have that one. Our game list includes much more than what SupraKarma's file does. Our list has quite a few Japanese games which the Hyperspin files seem to not have much coverage for (there are exceptions, of course).

• The Cake is a Lie 1

3 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

I have always thought of no-intro to be the set to use for cartridge based systems, and Redump for CD based - But personally I just use the latest official HyperSpin XMLs for my collection atm until something else comes along. Planning on making my own XMLs in the future, but that is for another thread

Yeah, CD based systems could use some love as far as standard naming. You have the one you mentioned, Redump, plus TruRip, Dark Water, and a host of other smaller/different collections. That is what is so great about standards, there are so many of them! :)

6 hours ago, dov_EL said:

cc/ @Jason Carr

I'm honestly not following there, though I'm pretty out of the loop in this thread. Can you explain?

40 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm honestly not following there, though I'm pretty out of the loop in this thread. Can you explain?

The Bezel Project is a magnificent software that allows us to add Bezels in Retroarch.
With Mame (Anrcade) there are no problems because the name of the game file is the same for everyone, so the bezels are perfectly recognized, whereas instead of the console side, the problem is that if the name of the game file is not identical to the one The Bezel project set in the "CONFIG" folder in retroarch, the bezel will not be recognized.
So, considering that with Launchbox many of us have already fixed the name of the game files with Launcbox metadata so as to obtain covers, mp3s etc. would it be possible to use this metadata in a universal way so as to also get the bezels?
Also because The Bezel Project can generate some limits in retroarch as I explained previously.
So in case of problems, a universal metadata could always help us to fix everything again without doing a long manual job to make the bezel coincide with the games.

50 minutes ago, dov_EL said:

The Bezel Project is a magnificent software that allows us to add Bezels in Retroarch.
With Mame (Anrcade) there are no problems because the name of the game file is the same for everyone, so the bezels are perfectly recognized, whereas instead of the console side, the problem is that if the name of the game file is not identical to the one The Bezel project set in the "CONFIG" folder in retroarch, the bezel will not be recognized.
So, considering that with Launchbox many of us have already fixed the name of the game files with Launcbox metadata so as to obtain covers, mp3s etc. would it be possible to use this metadata in a universal way so as to also get the bezels?
Also because The Bezel Project can generate some limits in retroarch as I explained previously.
So in case of problems, a universal metadata could always help us to fix everything again without doing a long manual job to make the bezel coincide with the games.

I see. I'd need to better understand the whole bezel project in order to answer this, I guess. Of course the XML files are all freely accessible by external programs. But I haven't studied this stuff, so I really don't know what would be required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. I'd need to better understand the whole bezel project in order to answer this, I guess. Of course the XML files are all freely accessible by external programs. But I haven't studied this stuff, so I really don't know what would be required.

I hope that the author of bezel project can meet this need and maybe create an interoperable collaboration between launchbox and bezelproject

1 hour ago, dov_EL said:

I hope that the author of bezel project can meet this need and maybe create an interoperable collaboration between launchbox and bezelproject

In a word, no. This is way beyond the scope of the project. As we say in the readme and help, we use the No-Intro naming convention when we can, then for like CD based bezels, we ask for consensus and majority wins. Even No-Intro is problematic because changes are always creeping in. The only way to fix this is to distribute rom packs with the bezels that match and that sure isn't going to happen. You can't even go with 'trusted' packs because most are incomplete with always a few games named slightly different, often because of what I have already stated. You can try to use CRC matching, but again, there are so many versions of roms out there that you can never be sure what you get will work, plus there are quite a few renaming tools out there that allow you to rename in mass according to whatever standard you have. The old "Don's renaming utility" from the old Hyperspin days is still a mainstay with many users and continues to work well.

Games names will always be problematic and I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Don's Renamer is still what I'm using for stuff life this - cannot go wrong

Truly. I use it all the time for many different front ends. The renamer is just one of the useful utilities in Don's pack. I highly recommend learning and using them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dragon57 said:

In a word, no. This is way beyond the scope of the project. As we say in the readme and help, we use the No-Intro naming convention when we can, then for like CD based bezels, we ask for consensus and majority wins. Even No-Intro is problematic because changes are always creeping in. The only way to fix this is to distribute rom packs with the bezels that match and that sure isn't going to happen. You can't even go with 'trusted' packs because most are incomplete with always a few games named slightly different, often because of what I have already stated. You can try to use CRC matching, but again, there are so many versions of roms out there that you can never be sure what you get will work, plus there are quite a few renaming tools out there that allow you to rename in mass according to whatever standard you have. The old "Don's renaming utility" from the old Hyperspin days is still a mainstay with many users and continues to work well.

Games names will always be problematic and I don't see that changing any time soon

thankyou

The app has had another update. I highly recommend for existing users to delete their 'Bezel Project.ini' file before using this new version. I had to add to and restructure the ini file and to get newly supported repos, a change had to happen. The download link is the same as above.

• Like 1

hi... i have a question... 

i install the bezel project.. and works fine... :) but 

when i import the mame roms in launchbox (retroarch core), i separated in CPS1,2, 3 NEOGEO AND naomi... (all from lastest mame rom set)... when create cps system.. and choose to scrape like arcade.. all the bezels are imported.. so all cps systems works with bezels... but naomi and neogeo didnt... the question is.. have any way to import manualy the bezels.. (if i choose to download 1by1).. and confgure to each game... i already try to do in retroarch... (winth .png and .cfg files).. but when i close the game.. the overlay disappear... thx..

I was forwarded over here.  I don't wish to usurp the conversation, but hopefully this is a quick problem.

So I used the Bezel Project Installer v1.5  to download a bunch of Bezels for use in RetroArch.  Well I noticed that many of the files didn't match up with my ROMs naming convention.  Markings like (Alt 1) and such.  So I tried renaming things. 

I renamed the .cfg and .png files to the same name as my ROM.  I then went into the .cfg file and made sure to correct the name of the .png file it needed to use. 

When I launch the game...nothing.  If I do the opposite and rename the ROM, it works just fine. 

What am I missing?  Does Retroarch use a database file somewhere that references the .cfg files or something?

Example: Sonic Spinball (USA) (Alt 1).cfg

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/Megadrive/Sonic Spinball (USA) (Alt 1).png"

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0

6 hours ago, kaichou said:

I was forwarded over here.  I don't wish to usurp the conversation, but hopefully this is a quick problem.

So I used the Bezel Project Installer v1.5  to download a bunch of Bezels for use in RetroArch.  Well I noticed that many of the files didn't match up with my ROMs naming convention.  Markings like (Alt 1) and such.  So I tried renaming things. 

I renamed the .cfg and .png files to the same name as my ROM.  I then went into the .cfg file and made sure to correct the name of the .png file it needed to use. 

When I launch the game...nothing.  If I do the opposite and rename the ROM, it works just fine. 

What am I missing?  Does Retroarch use a database file somewhere that references the .cfg files or something?

Example: Sonic Spinball (USA) (Alt 1).cfg

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = ":/overlays/GameBezels/Megadrive/Sonic Spinball (USA) (Alt 1).png"

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0

Did you also modify the .cfg files under the config\<core you are using>\ folder?

Per beta testers request, I have incorporated something that really should have been there from the start, but got lost in the shuffle. You can now multi-select systems in the installation, disable and enable views. Link is the same as above.