LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

21 minutes ago, cleverest said:

Anyone figure out how to get around Retroarch's bug of not SAVING CONFIGS anymore when exiting or manually once GAME-SPECIFIC bezels are used on a game? I had to go to system specific bezels, not game ones because of this....

Only my arcade MAME collection has game specific ones for this reason.

According to the Libretro team, that isn't a bug. It is as designed. You must save your config to a new one, then replace the old with the new.

Having said that, I agree that it seems like a bug, but there isn't anything to do at the moment. Arguing with their team will just get you banned from the forum.

39 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

According to the Libretro team, that isn't a bug. It is as designed. You must save your config to a new one, then replace the old with the new.

Having said that, I agree that it seems like a bug, but there isn't anything to do at the moment. Arguing with their team will just get you banned from the forum.

It has to be a bug because saving to a new one fails too.

I have done more emulators to retroarch and NES, Atari 2600, Atarti 7800 and all works, i have done the same way.

But, SNES does not work. My Emulator is:

snes9x_libretro.dll and snes9x_libretro.cfg

I take your file and delete the imput_overlay to get the game bezels.

The Filenames are the same, i hvae check it and it works with the ones in the first line.

EDIT: I have testet something. I found one game (Aero Fighters) that game bezels works. After i start the game, the game bezel from aero fighters is in the core-fonfig: snes9x_libretro.cfg and i have to delete it. After i have delete it, the other games do not have game bezels, till i start aero fighters again. After that, i have the aero fighters game bezels in all other games again.

Edited by SierraFOOL

Find this config entry and make sure it is false, if it is true.

config_save_on_exit = "false"

At least, that should keep the bezel from being saved for all games.

I've noticed, in newest RA version, that the core override configs do not honor this setting in my setup.

Hi,

I tried the bezel project for windows. For MAME it works without problems. Each rom has a standard name.

For the consoles it is a hit and miss. I read that you have to use the NO INTRO rom sets. The problem is that these rom sets have multiple versions of the rom in a set. For example super mario bros exists in a USA and a EUROPE version. And sometimes there are 3 or even 4 versions (like JAPAN, etc)

The downloaded files from the bezel project seem not to be limited to only USA or only EUROPE. For one game it uses the USA version and for another game it uses the EUROPE version. 

How can i ever match all the rom files to the bezel files? What do i do wrong?

Another question, if the rom and bezel files names do not match i get nothing (black bars) and not the generic Nintendo or Sega bezel. Where can i change that if no bezel is found that the generic bezig for the system is used?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, martijnsx said:

For the consoles it is a hit and miss. I read that you have to use the NO INTRO rom sets. The problem is that these rom sets have multiple versions of the rom in a set. For example super mario bros exists in a USA and a EUROPE version. And sometimes there are 3 or even 4 versions (like JAPAN, etc)

The downloaded files from the bezel project seem not to be limited to only USA or only EUROPE. For one game it uses the USA version and for another game it uses the EUROPE version. 

You did nothing wrong.  There are several configs missing from the bezel sets.  Like roms named with revisions, i.e. (REV 1), (REV B), etc...

What I needed up doing was making a copy of the parent game bezel config file and renaming the copy to match the rom name.  Just rename the config in the config\<core>\ folder.  I know, it's a pain.

9 hours ago, martijnsx said:

Another question, if the rom and bezel files names do not match i get nothing (black bars) and not the generic Nintendo or Sega bezel. Where can i change that if no bezel is found that the generic bezig for the system is used?

I'm not sure how the windows installer handles this, but you can add this line to the core override config.

input_overlay = "./overlays/GameBezels/NES/Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg"

Make sure a Nintendo-Entertainment-System.cfg and Nintendo-Entertainment-System.png are in the \overlays\GameBezels\NES\ folder.

For example I use Mesen as my NES emulator core of choice (ATM).  So in \config\Mesen\  there should be a Mesen,cfg file there.  If not create one and add the line above.

If no matching game bezel config is found, then it will fall back to the core override config.

9 hours ago, martijnsx said:

Hi,

I tried the bezel project for windows. For MAME it works without problems. Each rom has a standard name.

Thanks!

There are so many versions of no-intro sets, and rom sets in general, that it is impossible for a bezel pack to match everyone's rom set. That is why we recommend using one of the more popular renaming utilties like Fatmatch, Don's renamer in his Hypertools set, etc.

Are you using my V1.0 Windows utility, or the older Web installer V1.4 or V1.5?

Any plans to incorporate the Bezel Project as a plug-in into Launchbox itself? The fact that bezel name matching is so strict is a problem... but if Bezels were stored as metadata in Launchbox, the actual name of the bezel would matter less. 

The current system when it works, works great, but at the same time is also very fragile due to the naming convention as well as the potential, in Retroarch to overwrite the configs accidentally.

14 hours ago, coolspot said:

Any plans to incorporate the Bezel Project as a plug-in into Launchbox itself? The fact that bezel name matching is so strict is a problem... but if Bezels were stored as metadata in Launchbox, the actual name of the bezel would matter less. 

The current system when it works, works great, but at the same time is also very fragile due to the naming convention as well as the potential, in Retroarch to overwrite the configs accidentally.

At this time, there are no plans on integrating the project files as a plugin. Now that the Windows port is finished, the team is back to creating missing bezels for the systems we haven't addressed yet. After those are finished, who knows? No promises though.

Having said that, others are free to write a plugin that pulls assets from our Github repository.

Finally, I really recommend you get comfortable with your renaming utility of choice. You are always going to have issues with certain art assets being named differently to what you want to integrate with, roms included. I use two different utilities and use them all the time because names constantly change in the No-Intro camp, for example, plus other so called naming standards for the more recent systems that No-Intro doesn't address with dat files.

3 hours ago, Sonkun said:

Is it possible to get these bezels without the borders? I like keeping my games in their original aspect ratio without curvature and would like to just have the pictures fill in the empty black spaces on the sides by itself.

This is why it would be nice if people just posted a psd file with the working elements so that people could turn certain layers off if they prefer. 

4 hours ago, Sonkun said:

Is it possible to get these bezels without the borders? I like keeping my games in their original aspect ratio without curvature and would like to just have the pictures fill in the empty black spaces on the sides by itself.

You should be able batch process to remove the border. I have been told others have done it. Basically find a program that can batch the images by first creating a selection rectangle the size of the border, cut that selection, save. Save this as an action if using Photoshop. Record a script if using Corel Paintshop Pro, etc.

I installed bezel project for windows. Standalone mame bezels work fine. Retroarch cores rom bezels are mostly miss than hit, i tried genesis and SMS:

1. For genesis, wrong bezels (of other game) are displayed for most of the times.

2.  For SMS its worse, bezels are also not covering the whole sides or covering parts of the game itself.

What am i doing wrong?

Should RA or the cores be configured specifically for the bezels to display correctly? Specific display configurations?

Does bezelproject only supports roms from one region? 

Where are the bezels saved?

All my console rom sets are of no-intro. All the the RA cores i use are the once that BP recommends.

I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by vgbox

14 hours ago, vgbox said:

I installed bezel project for windows. Standalone mame bezels work fine. Retroarch cores rom bezels are mostly miss than hit, i tried genesis and SMS:

1. For genesis, wrong bezels (of other game) are displayed for most of the times.

2.  For SMS its worse, bezels are also not covering the whole sides or covering parts of the game itself.

What am i doing wrong?

Should RA or the cores be configured specifically for the bezels to display correctly? Specific display configurations?

Does bezelproject only supports roms from one region? 

Where are the bezels saved?

All my console rom sets are of no-intro. All the the RA cores i use are the once that BP recommends.

I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks in advance!

The main config files the installer puts in place are in ...\retroarch\config. There should be sub-directories with names equal to the Retroarch core names. These directories contain cfg files that point to the game specific cfg and png files under ...\retroarch\overlays\gamebezels.

If the bezels aren't showing up, the problem is generally a name mis-match from your roms which need to map directly to the cfg names. There are different no-intro roms set that exist, with some names that differ from the version used for the bezels. The naming is a moving target, so you may always have mis-named items that need manual 'fixing', either by hand, or by using one of the many mass renaming utilities available.

14 hours ago, dragon57 said:

The main config files the installer puts in place are in ...\retroarch\config. There should be sub-directories with names equal to the Retroarch core names. These directories contain cfg files that point to the game specific cfg and png files under ...\retroarch\overlays\gamebezels.

If the bezels aren't showing up, the problem is generally a name mis-match from your roms which need to map directly to the cfg names. There are different no-intro roms set that exist, with some names that differ from the version used for the bezels. The naming is a moving target, so you may always have mis-named items that need manual 'fixing', either by hand, or by using one of the many mass renaming utilities available.

As i wrote, bezels are showing, read 1. and 2. again, and i'll add:

3. One wrong bezel (of other game) is displayed in many different games.

So, lets take SMS for example, in order to solve all of the above, i need to rename the cfg files in "...RetroArch\config\Genesis Plus GX" and the cfg and png files in "...RetroArch\overlays\GameBezels\MasterSystem" to the names of the rom files that are in my SMS roms folder, am i right?

Edited by vgbox

1 hour ago, dragon57 said:

@vgbox, you only need to rename the files under ...RetroArch\config\Genesis Plus GX technically. Only go to the effort renaming those under overlays if you just want them to match.

Got it. I downloaded "bulk rename utility", can you tell me what do i need to set there in order to rename the cfg files in the RA config folder?

2 minutes ago, vgbox said:

Got it. I downloaded "bulk rename utility", can you tell me what do i need to set there in order to rename the cfg files in the RA config folder?

Sorry, I don't use that particular utility, so I can't help with it, however, hopefully someone else can. You might want to post a new thread in the correct section of the forum for help with it.