LaunchBox Community Forums

9.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, the first 9.0 beta is out with the following:

- Fixed: Generating MAME/Arcade playlists on importing games was still restricted to premium users (previously we removed the premium restriction for playlists)

- Fixed: Launch With in Big Box is now sorted alphabetically

- Fixed: The list type drop down in LaunchBox is now sorted alphabetically

- Fixed: Field drop downs in the LaunchBox playlist editor are now sorted alphabetically

- Fixed: The PluginHelper.DataManager.GetAllParents() plugin method was not working properly

I'll be focusing on fixes for a bit before diving into the meat of this release.

• Like 8

Hello Jason.

I am currently creating for each platform a "playlist" for favorite games (playlist "favorite atari 2600",playlist "favorite c64" ect...).

But before I create all the other favorite playlists,do you plan to add a single "favorite button" (on the top of LB for instance) that would show instantanetly all favorite games for the current selected platform.

Just to know if I go on creating the other "favorite playlists"! (more than 100 for my LB!) .

Thanks !

serge

Edited by sergeb

3 minutes ago, sergeb said:

Hello Jason.

I am currently making for each platform a "playlist" for favorite games (playlist "favorite atari 2600",playlist "favorite c64" ect...).

But before I create all the other favorite playlists,do you plan to make a single "favorite button" (on the top of LB for instance) that would show instantanetly all favorite games for the current selected platform.

Just to know if I go on creating the other "favorite playlists"! (more than 100 for my LB!) .

Thanks !

serge

I do plan to add some easier options to auto-generate playlists. Currently I'm planning on adding something to the right-click menu for platforms to auto-generate genre playlists, etc., so I can probably add a Favorites one as well.

• Like 2

I too would like improvements to the image viewer. I understand that improvements to the game details pane are being considered, where it will be able to show all images associated with a game and not just the fan art and screenshots. I would suggest that either the game details pane and/or the image viewer should have some sort of method of showing the user at a glance which images are available and letting them select the one they want to see - rather than having to scroll through an arbitrary list, as one currently has to do in both the image viewer and the game details pane. 

The nesting feature is excellent and I’ve experienced no issues with it so far. It does however open up a great opportunity to leverage more info and metadata about the platform category, platform or playlist. I know that you can add “notes” to playlists and platform categories, and can also add some more details to the platforms - but this info is somewhat tucked away with the user having to “edit” to access it (unless you are in BigBox where the platform details can be shown). It would be great if in Launchbox, the user had the ability to display information, images and a platform video (or platform category or playlist video) when selecting the corresponding platform, platform category or playlist. For example, the user could select “Nintendo Entertainment System” under consoles and be presented with information, images and a video relating to the NES. This could for example be shown in the main window, with the games list(s) below the platform. Hope this description is clear! 

33 minutes ago, Dan said:

GreenGriffon - thank you for the link - I have made suggestions there also, though most of the discussion takes place on the forums and I therefore felt it warranted a mention. 

Understandable, but it's a little tough to follow actual issues with the beta when people crowd this thread with requests simply because Jason is always here.

Yes, we should really put feature requests into separate threads. Nothing wrong with discussing feature requests on the forums, but they don't really belong in the beta testing threads. All you have to do is call me out (@Jason Carr) to ensure that I see the request.

That said, I don't think I've heard a request for improving the image viewer in a long time, if at all, but we can at least add it to the next poll. Same for adding more platform/playlist/category metadata to the LB interface.

• Thanks 1

No problem, point taken. I too had not seen this mentioned elsewhere, hence I had decided to mention it here. If it could go into the poll that would be great. I was just keen to try and describe my vision to others! From my point of view it would take Launchbox to another level and be an amazing addition to have more focus on the platforms with platform videos, images, manuals & related info being available in LB, rather than all the focus being on the games themselves. 

Edited by Dan

Playlists disappeared from BigBox in the main Platform Category view?

is this because of nesting to something? I had an entire category dedicated to Genre and Playlist that are now gone.

I try to add a category called “playlists” and it says one exists but it shows up nowhere. I spent hours building out playlists and organizing them. I’m really hoping the beating update doesn’t just wipe away all the settings we previously had. 

Edited by angelobodetti

2 hours ago, angelobodetti said:

Playlists disappeared from BigBox in the main Platform Category view?

is this because of nesting to something? I had an entire category dedicated to Genre and Playlist that are now gone.

I try to add a category called “playlists” and it says one exists but it shows up nowhere. I spent hours building out playlists and organizing them. I’m really hoping the beating update doesn’t just wipe away all the settings we previously had. 

What version did you upgrade to? What version did you upgrade from?

Are you seeing the same thing in LaunchBox as well?

Edit: I assume you are, since you've tried to add a new playlist. Do the playlists show up in Playlist view?

Yes in LB as well. I had a Platform Category called “Genres” with all my Gebre playlists and one called “Playlists” with the others. 

Those categories don’t show up in LB or BB. When I go to create them, it says they exist already. But i don’t see them.

I forget version numbers but I check updates every day. So I updated from last version to most current. I updated about 2 hours ago. 

Edited by angelobodetti

1 minute ago, angelobodetti said:

Yes in LB as well. I had a Platform Category called “Genres” with all my Gebre playlists and one called “Playlists” with the others. 

Those categories don’t show up in LB or BB. When I go to create them, it says they exist already. But i don’t see them.

I forget version numbers but I check updates every day. So I updated from last version to most current. I updated about 2 hours ago. 

Let me know if you're on the official release or the betas. If you can zip up and PM me your Data folder, I can look to see what might have happened.