LaunchBox Community Forums

9.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

My issue is in big box, and it continues even after attract mode has been running for hours. I assume that should be enough for everything to get cached.

Running the latest 9.0 beta 7.

My system is fairly fast, haswell i5 with 16gb ddr3 installed on a 1tb Samsung 860 evo

27 minutes ago, Brandito said:

My issue is in big box, and it continues even after attract mode has been running for hours. I assume that should be enough for everything to get cached.

Running the latest 9.0 beta 7.

My system is fairly fast, haswell i5 with 16gb ddr3 installed on a 1tb Samsung 860 evo

Okay, can you PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder? How many playlists do you have?

53 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. That looks to be an important thing to solve before the official release. A few questions though, what is that Playstation favorites logo image file called? Is it called "Favorites" or "Playstation Favorites"? Did you add it via the interface or by dropping it into the folder? Is it in the Themes folder or the normal platform image folder?

The file is called "Sony Playstation.png", and is located in the normal image folder (Launchbox\Images\Playlists\Sony Playstation Favorites\Clear Logo). I believe it was added with the interface, but it was so long ago I can't remember. I used to have a Category called "Favorites" that had a favorites playlist for each of my systems. I moved each one to their respective system category (Sony/ Sony PlayStation/Sony Playstation Favorites) once nested folders was implemented, and that's when the issue started happening. If I clear cache and go to say NES Favorites it will then be the clear logo for NES Favorites for every other platform. I'm not sure if this helps but the Unique Name for each is for example "Sony Playstation Favorites" while the Nested name is just "Favorites", could that be causing the issue?

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 2:16 PM, fredit0 said:

in 9.0 beta 7, the platforms that have .lnk as rom, were losing roms, even one of them remained at 0 and then disappeared, while launchbox was running (example 9 .. 5 ... 0 .. then disappeared)
The funny thing is that the .xlm is still in the DATA folder and I do not notice anything strange in its structure.
I'm not sure if something similar happened with other platforms, since those were the ones I was editing at the time that happened.

I got your PM with your data. It looks to me like it's happening because you had "Hide Games Missing Videos" checked in the View menu. All the Big Fish games showed back up when I unchecked that.

2 hours ago, Brandito said:

40 playlists and I'm working on sending the folder. Only added one playlist other than the auto created lists.

I've done some testing with your data as well and I haven't seen any performance issues in Big Box. I'm going to run attract mode overnight to make sure, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse with time either. So whatever it is seems to be unrelated to your data, at least. Have you tried a different theme to see if it makes any difference? I have no idea what the issue might be for the moment, so whatever we can do to help nail it down would be good. If you have the ability to record a video of it, that would help as well.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I've done some testing with your data as well and I haven't seen any performance issues in Big Box. I'm going to run attract mode overnight to make sure, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse with time either. So whatever it is seems to be unrelated to your data, at least. Have you tried a different theme to see if it makes any difference? I have no idea what the issue might be for the moment, so whatever we can do to help nail it down would be good. If you have the ability to record a video of it, that would help as well.

Here's a video, picked a random game, not a great one, but launching games is slow, but the games themselves play fine.

Also to note, after I left that game, the audio from the video continued to loop endlessly until restarting big box. This has happened in the past as well.

Tried changing to the default them and the lag was still there. I'll leave the default theme over night after a fresh boot and see if it changes anything.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I got your PM with your data. It looks to me like it's happening because you had "Hide Games Missing Videos" checked in the View menu. All the Big Fish games showed back up when I unchecked that.

Yes you are right, now is fixed. thanks !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brandito said:

Here's a video, picked a random game, not a great one, but launching games is slow, but the games themselves play fine.

Also to note, after I left that game, the audio from the video continued to loop endlessly until restarting big box. This has happened in the past as well.

Tried changing to the default them and the lag was still there. I'll leave the default theme over night after a fresh boot and see if it changes anything.

I see. Yeah, that's not a normal experience for a Haswell system. What operating system are you running? Are you running any software in the background such as anti-virus software? See if you can kill off anything that's running in the background and see if that helps. I ran some tests on a Haswell system that I have  (though it is an i7) and I can't replicate the delays. I suspect that the video issue is related as well.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. Yeah, that's not a normal experience for a Haswell system. What operating system are you running? Are you running any software in the background such as anti-virus software? See if you can kill off anything that's running in the background and see if that helps. I ran some tests on a Haswell system that I have  (though it is an i7) and I can't replicate the delays. I suspect that the video issue is related as well.

It's a clean install of windows 10 Pro, nothing else running in the background currently. Restarting big box speeds things back up.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Brandito One other question, sorry if you already answered it. Are these delays new for the betas? Have you tested to see if they're there on the 8.9 or previous releases?

I do not recall things slowing down anything like this before the beta. Is there an easy way to roll back to the stable release so I can double check?

• Like 1

@Brandito I believe I have that performance issue fixed for the next beta. Believe it or not, it was caused by a combination of the following:

• The DebugLog setting was on by default for beta releases
  • The Unified themes throw a number of errors for missing files and such, and tend to throw more errors that end up in the debug log than usual
  • The debug log file for the current run was growing larger and larger and eventually started causing performance issues saving the file

At least, I think that's what was going on. For the next beta, Debug logging is no longer on by default for beta releases. It can still be enabled manually by modifying the Settings.xml file and changing the DebugLog setting to true instead of false.

Beta 8 is out now with the following:

- Improvement: Attract mode in Big Box will now always move into or out of views when the number of items highlighted exceeds the total number of items

- Improvement: Performance has been significantly improved while populating the Big Box platform clear logo image cache for platforms, categories, or playlists that do not have default images

- Fixed: Big Box was caching the nested name incorrectly for platform, playlist, and category wheel images; this was resulting in the wrong images showing up in rare cases

- Fixed: Big Box was not properly saving previous selections for deeply nested platforms, categories, and playlists

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Brandito I believe I have that performance issue fixed for the next beta. Believe it or not, it was caused by a combination of the following:

• The DebugLog setting was on by default for beta releases
  • The Unified themes throw a number of errors for missing files and such, and tend to throw more errors that end up in the debug log than usual
  • The debug log file for the current run was growing larger and larger and eventually started causing performance issues saving the file

At least, I think that's what was going on. For the next beta, Debug logging is no longer on by default for beta releases. It can still be enabled manually by modifying the Settings.xml file and changing the DebugLog setting to true instead of false.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow, I assume it's active in beta 8?

For now I might as well let it run overnight to rule out the possibility I was experiencing it pre beta as well. So far I haven't seen any noticeable slow down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brandito said:

I'll give that a shot tomorrow, I assume it's active in beta 8?

For now I might as well let it run overnight to rule out the possibility I was experiencing it pre beta as well. So far I haven't seen any noticeable slow down.

Yup, should be fixed for beta 8.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:12 AM, Jason Carr said:

@RULLUR @angelobodetti @Brandito Please confirm what version you guys are running, and whether you're seeing delays in LaunchBox and/or Big Box. The latest beta should fix a lot of those performance issues, so I'm surprised you're still running into them.

Keep in mind that you may see performance issues once for each category/playlist, and then they should go away, even after a restart. If you have a lot of playlists or a slower system, populating the initial cache for each item might take a short while.

@Jason CarrWhen it comes to the Laptop I'm always using the latest versions including Betas. The GPD Win is a different story since I tend to play when public Wi-Fi is crappy and I hardly use Big Box much since I mainly stay busy editing everything as much as possible unless on rare occasion I wanna work on the look of it there like I did yesterday to where I basically leave LaunchBox open for about a week and then turn the Laptop off on Fridays around noon for a few hours. So that means I keep my Browser open and all that as well. So I'm unsure how much it may help or hurt performance even though I'm an i3 with 8gb of System Memory on Windows 10. I figured those details can help give you an estimate on how things may need to improve performance wise and all when it comes to such low specs as mine and everything.

One issue I have right now as I Edit around is after I finish Editing a game's details I have to wait a few seconds until the new details change over or else it'll bounce me back to what game I just got done editing. I tend Edit a game and then hit Random on the Toolbar for something else to edit or test play which another reason I wish the Random button had an easier way to be accessed since I use it like all the time