LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Naomi / atomiswave

Shane

1 hour ago, dominikabra said:

Sorry for the ressurrection but I'm in the same boat, any solution?

It apparently detects games randomly. Some have exactly the same naming structure (one word, no spaces) and one is detected and the other ignored. I'm at a loss at what can be happening here.

Try using MAME romset and RetroArch (flycast core)

The roms using bin and lst files are old.

• Like 1

@dominikabra

I have a very bad experience with making Demul arcade boards work with LB. I read different guides and nothing really helped. I kind of gave up. 

I say, forget it. Just use Demul outside of LB or if you still want to use that board with LB then try RA flycast core like zugswang suggested.

Edited by vgbox

Demul should not be an issue getting working as long as you are using Mame files and you do not use the same LB emulator set-up if you are using Demul for Dreamcast emulation. Arcade set-up requires different check boxes in the LB details screen than are needed for console. You also need to make sure for arcade you have the correct command lines for each arcade board (ex: -run=awave -rom= is needed for Atomiswave).

Not saying someone may not run into issues. Just advising it does work and many LB users have it set up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having an issue too with my Atomiswave games. If I launch them via Retroarch (Flycast) it loads normally but if I launch them via Launchbox it only launches the menu of the DC. So I guess LB doesn't ask for the proper bios or something along those lines but I can't find a workaround...

13 minutes ago, Nocta said:

I'm having an issue too with my Atomiswave games. If I launch them via Retroarch (Flycast) it loads normally but if I launch them via Launchbox it only launches the menu of the DC. So I guess LB doesn't ask for the proper bios or something along those lines but I can't find a workaround...

Bring up the Retroarch menu and look under options and see if System type is set to auto.

If it is already set to auto and it's not detecting right for a game, set the correct value for that game instead of auto (Atomiswave in this case) and in the same menu at the top save a Game options file. Now when you start that game it should switch to that system properly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nocta said:

I'm sorry but I can't find this option anywhere in RA's menus...

Start a game, hit F1, there should be an Options item, there isn't?

14 minutes ago, Nocta said:

Why would it find the right system type if launched standalone but not if launched in LB though? ?

Didn't notice that. Would have to see your emulator settings for Retroarch and  the associated platform tab as well. Any chance you have a custom command line option?

I generally don't trust auto settings for things like that and have manually set all my non Dreamcast roms with Flycast core.

Stab in the dark but but maybe Retroarch hashes against it's internal DB when loading through it GUI, and doesn't when started and from command line and passing a filename or some other difference? If your settings are correct you would think it should be the same.

Edited by Headrush69

19 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Start a game, hit F1, there should be an Options item, there isn't?

My bad, I didn't check the menu in-game, it is there obviously and it's ON.

Any chance you have a custom command line option?

I generally don't trust auto settings for things like that and have manually set all my non Dreamcast roms with Flycast core.

I have no specific command line option for retroarch and I have set my Atomiswave with the Flycast core. I'm not even using this core for DC...

So I guess it's about the internal DB like you said, what can I do about it? Your Atomiswave games via Flycast run just fine?

P.S.: it seems another user faced the same issue with Naomi games:

Edited by Nocta
Cleaner

1 minute ago, Nocta said:

So I guess it's about the internal DB like you said, what can I do about it? Your Atomiswave games via Flycast run just fine?

Yes all my Atomiswave games run via the flycast core. 

Like I mentioned, I've started each game, used the Retroarch quick menu to manually set the system type, and saved a game options file for each game. I've done that with all Naomi roms as well.

Did you try setting the system for that problem game to Sammy Atomiswave and then try launching from LB again? (You have to save a game options file or that setting will apply to all games with that core)

13 minutes ago, Nocta said:

P.S.: it seems another user faced the same issue with Naomi games:

I think his/her issue was a little different as his/her Flycast roms were imported as a mame set and mame64.exe was set as the default emulator. Changing the default emulator doesn't automatically change the previously imported roms. (Although LB does now ask if you want to do that)

20 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Did you try setting the system for that problem game to Sammy Atomiswave and then try launching from LB again? (You have to save a game options file or that setting will apply to all games with that core)

It doesn't seem to work sadly. What's surprising is that if I launch an Atomiswave game via LB, then in my "recent" entries in RA, I have "sammy" so I guess LB is launching the right bios but it doesn't seem to be able to link it to the game afterward.

8 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

I think his/her issue was a little different as his/her Flycast roms were imported as a mame set and mame64.exe was set as the default emulator. Changing the default emulator doesn't automatically change the previously imported roms. (Although LB does now ask if you want to do that)

My bad, I thought it could have been similar and of interest.

Edited by Nocta

8 hours ago, Nocta said:

so I guess LB is launching the right bios but it doesn't seem to be able to link it to the game afterward.

Launchbox is not loading any bios files, thats not its job that is the emulator itself. If retroarch is being loaded when you double click a atomiswave game in Launchbox then Launchbox is doing its job correctly and you have a setup/configuration issue elsewhere, specifically in Retroarch.

Do you have Retroarch setup in Launchbox to unzip files before passing them to Retroarch for example, so the game is being extracted first rather than being loaded as a zip as it should be?

• Like 1

Are you sure you don't have the "Use filename only without extension or file path" option selected in Emulator Settings for Retroarch?

Your problem didn't make sense so as a test I enabled that and guess what, all my Sammy games start the Dreamcast screen. (Makes sense since emulator isn't passed a proper filename/filepath so it defaults to DC)

If that isn't the problem, I would suggest deleting all flycast configs in the Retroarch/config folder (backup if you have some custom configs saved), and trying again, including setting system type in Retroarch and saving a game options file if needed.

Also, make sure your Sammy roms are still pointed to the correct location as you are manually loading when using Retroarch directly.

Edited by Headrush69
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nocta said:

Thank you so much Headrush for helping me out! Sadly none of this work but my problem might be even bigger because I can't even launch the games from Retroarch anymore...

Did you install Retroarch using the installer? If so you should have a debug version in the Start menu that will produce a log file that might help.

(If you used the Retroarch zip, the debug version should be in your Retroarch folder)