LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box + Dolphin + Wii Remote = Pain

cscottbrown

I have Launch Box set up with Dolphin to play Wii games. I use real Wii Remotes passing through the Mayflash Dolphin Bar. Everything works great, it's like having a real Wii.

However, things go wrong with Big Box. If I open a Wii game through Big Box it doesn't recognize my Wii Remotes. If I open Dolphin on its own, everything works great. If I open Dolphin in desktop mode, everything works great. Big Box mode? No Wii Remotes.

Can anyone assist with this? I'm going crazy.

I don't have a Wii remote setup (though that would be pretty awesome!) but do have an Xbox360 remote that works great in Dolphin through Big Box.  Is the Wiimote setup in BB?  i.e. Options. Controllers. ...then check 1 or both options.  (Enable Game Controllers, Use all Controllers)  I'm pretty sure they need to be setup independent of LB. 

The Wii remotes are not setup through LaunchBox. However, they never have been. The setup I have worked flawlessly for a long while, until something recently went wrong with Big Box.

I have been doing some troubleshooting with a helpful Redditor, and we've concluded this is some sort of LB bug. We've come to that conclusion because:

• The Wii remotes work fine with Dolphin on its own (without LB or BB involved at all)
  • The Wii remotes work fine with Dolphin launched through the desktop mode of LB.
  • Controller support on every other emulator launched through LB or BB works fine.

Something between BB and Dolphin isn't playing nice when it comes to the Wii remotes. Now I have to figure out how to report a bug :-)

10 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Just tried here and Wii remotes work fine with Dolphin bar when launched from Big Box.

In Big Box, Wii remotes aren't configured and use all controllers is disabled. 

Are you using standalone Dolphin or the Retroarch core?

Have you been able to setup the automation for the Wii remote to enable EXIT GAME? 

I've setup an xbox controller to exit a game back to big box but haven't been able to work the same out for Wii.

21 minutes ago, Reevesad said:

Have you been able to setup the automation for the Wii remote to enable EXIT GAME? 

I've setup an xbox controller to exit a game back to big box but haven't been able to work the same out for Wii.

No, I haven't. But honestly, I don't think I've even tried, as my DS4 it's always right there to control LB. At this point, I have bigger fish to fry anyway!

10 hours ago, Reevesad said:

I have a dedicated arcade machine with an exit button, so I have not.

My GUESS would be, with the Dolphin bar in Mode 4, all the Wii remote buttons are captured by Dolphin itself and mapping to an exit key would not work.

Looking in the controller configuration inside of Dolphin, doesn't look like it possible to map buttons outside of the emulation itself. (aka an exit key)

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 2:06 AM, cscottbrown said:

I have Launch Box set up with Dolphin to play Wii games. I use real Wii Remotes passing through the Mayflash Dolphin Bar. Everything works great, it's like having a real Wii.

However, things go wrong with Big Box. If I open a Wii game through Big Box it doesn't recognize my Wii Remotes. If I open Dolphin on its own, everything works great. If I open Dolphin in desktop mode, everything works great. Big Box mode? No Wii Remotes.

Can anyone assist with this? I'm going crazy.

I tried my setup last night playing wii via bixbox, and It was playing fine using the wii remotes. the only issue I came across was a low battery prompt on my screen. but the remotes were fully charged and didn't run out even after I stopped playing 2 hours later. 

So I have the same setup as you running Lunchbox/ big box and with the Emulator Dolphin.  

My Setup is as follows, the usb wii bar (pc version) is switched to 4.

I have an xbox one wired controller hooked to my pc (gonna upgrade to wireless at some point) this is used to start the wii/ start a game and exit a game. 

I have the automation setup on both launchbox and bigbox and enabled all controllers. 

If you want I can grab some screenshots of my dolphin contoller setup but tbh it was pretty much all setup. as it's just a case of choosing real wii remotes and then syncing the controllers with the wii bar.

4 hours ago, Reevesad said:

I tried my setup last night playing wii via bixbox, and It was playing fine using the wii remotes. the only issue I came across was a low battery prompt on my screen. but the remotes were fully charged and didn't run out even after I stopped playing 2 hours later. 

So I have the same setup as you running Lunchbox/ big box and with the Emulator Dolphin.  

My Setup is as follows, the usb wii bar (pc version) is switched to 4.

I have an xbox one wired controller hooked to my pc (gonna upgrade to wireless at some point) this is used to start the wii/ start a game and exit a game. 

I have the automation setup on both launchbox and bigbox and enabled all controllers. 

If you want I can grab some screenshots of my dolphin contoller setup but tbh it was pretty much all setup. as it's just a case of choosing real wii remotes and then syncing the controllers with the wii bar.

OK, so this is REALLY helpful, thank you!

Your setup is very, very close to what mine is. I'm using wireless DS4 controllers instead of wired Xbox controllers, but I don't think that's what's causing the problem. Other than that, we're the same

I think what's happening is a conflict with Big Box and Steam Link. Other than the controllers, I have the exact same setup as you except I'm adding in the Steam Link.

Now, as I said earlier, everything with my setup works fine when I'm using the Link and Dolphin on its own, and it still works fine when I'm using the Link and Dolphin launched through LaunchBox's desktop mode.

So the problem must be a conflict between Big Box and the Steam Link, NOT Big Box and Dolphin.

If anyone has any ideas on how I could test this, let me know! 

I typically recommended switching to mode 4 on the mayflash dolphin bar when Wii is in use, Then switch back to mode 1 (pc mode) for everything else...should have no issues with that arrangement.... What can be tricky I've found for me is that is wireless controllers sometimes can get re-mapped to different ports if using Windows 10... So tweak if need be i guess...

There are some other threads in this forum from others that also might shed some light

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

• 1 month later...

I'm having almost the same issue. I tried a game in LB and in the upper left corner a pop up says something about controller in port 1 disconnected, I'll double check what it said tomorrow in case that might help. Anyways I opened dolphin and started a game and the controller worked fine. But when I start a game in LB the controller disconnects. Has there been anyone that knows how to fix this?

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread is mad old but I eventually did figure this out. The problem is that Dolphin CANNOT be run as an Administrator but Launchbox needs to be. In other words, turn off the "Run as Administrator" option for Dolphin.exe and turn the same feature on for Launchbox.exe. This is what finally made things work properly for me.

1 minute ago, cscottbrown said:

I realize this thread is mad old but I eventually did figure this out. The problem is that Dolphin CANNOT be run as an Administrator but Launchbox needs to be. In other words, turn off the "Run as Administrator" option for Dolphin.exe and turn the same feature on for Launchbox.exe. This is what finally made things work properly for me.

Launchbox should not be run as administrator, it will stop certain emulators launching as they will need elevation.

4 minutes ago, cscottbrown said:

Without running Launchbox as admin, though, it is impossible to launch Cemu games. Unless there is another way to do this?

You dont need Launchbox running as admin to launch ganes in CEMU. As @DOS76 said, sounds like you have something else going on on your PC. Neither Launchbox or emulators need admin rights.

4 minutes ago, cscottbrown said:

Without running Launchbox as admin, though, it is impossible to launch Cemu games. Unless there is another way to do this?

You have something else going on then Cemu can be run fine without admin set for LaunchBox.  

OK, well, I guess I will try to remove the admin privileges for LB/BB. However, removing admin privileges from Dolphin is what helped me fix the problem stated at the beginning of this thread. Many online tutorials instruct you to give admin rights to Dolphin, which is why that was turned on in my setup.