LaunchBox Community Forums

HUUUUUUGE bug in Launchbox

peterrrjr

There is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE bug in the software. If you set it to update media files from your installation, selecting the option to not download nor replace the media that is already present, IT DOWNLOADS IT AGAIN. 

I let it updating and I did it twice (the main install and in the test install to double check) and what it does is simple download everything all over again and then rename the files XXXX-1, XXXX-2 and on and on. If you do this 3,4,100 times, it creates downloads the files AGAIN from start. That was a disaster as my main install was on my one drive and it simple rendered my system ssd unusable on my laptop.

One of the mais purposes I`ve bought the software was to get the media beautifully organized. I am now having to delete all the extra files manually and it is giving a lot of hassle.

Please, fix this issue. It is  not working, so remove the feature for sake until it is really usable. Big advice: do not ask it to fetch the media that is missing. You will have deep trouble with that. Sorry, but I am really frustrated about this. Some images have 1megabyte in size. Imagine thousands of them, for boxes, art, etc etc.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:12 AM, proghodet said:

Did you try Tools -> Clean up Media ?

No. After all the hassle I am afraid of having it even more messy. The point is: launchbox re-downloading the media, when you specifically tell it not to do! So I am supposed to download it again for every system? Then re-sync all over again on my cloud backup and onedrive to find thousands of copies of the stuff to delete it all over? 

The media cleanup tool is not clearly designed nor explains what it does and how. My system is not connected to my NAS where I store my roms, as I am away from my country (visiting USA right now). So I am afraid it migh delete the media from the games that are not detected... 

Waiting for an official position. I have sent a bug correction request on the git...

To be honest, I am surprised this has not been raised more. I have mentioned this before but for the life of me I cannot remember where I posted it and who replied, as I got an answer. I recall someone telling me that it is basically just what happens.

I too had multiple images for the same game. Sometimes up to seven images of the same image (named XXXX1, XXXX2 and so on as the OP stated) as that is how many times I had LB update media. It should not download the same thing again as far as I am concerned but it does:

image.thumb.png.0483788fd6923cdf32bdb02fcd1b64f3.pngIf you will notice above in my Arcade Box - 3D there are multiple images of the same game. There used to be a lot more but then the clean-up-images feature was implemented and it did get rid of duplicates. Though, then I updated media to scan and download anything I had missing that may have been added to the database and once again the multiple images started appearing. I chose to only add media to fields that were missing ones but it still downloads images for games that already have images. This does take up a lot of space, especially people with many thousands of games. The clean up feature is great but really should not be needed too much outside of this issue.

@Lordmonkus Have you not had the same thing happen on your setup as shown above?

This does not ruin LB for me at all and I do not spend time getting angry at it but it would be nice if it did not do it in the first place regardless of there being a clean up tool/feature or not.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1

Just now, cpujunkie said:

I have noticed the samething. One thing I can add is if the image in the LB DB gets updated in at all it will be seen as a "new" image by the scrapper because it's hash is different and will be downloaded again. At least that's the behavior as it seems to me

Also if you are scraping the Launchbox database AND emumovies at the same time you will also get duplicate images as often the same images are on both services but with different hashes/file types.

Part of the issue could be if you allow the importer to download from both the Launchbox DB and Emumovies. Launchbox may not be able to tell the difference between the two images. You could  probably run a checksum on the images to confirm they are in fact duplicates. Though the image looks the same a slight variance would in fact make it not. 

Running checksum on my arcade 3D boxes here is an example of Alien. Same image, one ending in 01 and other 02, and you see the checksums are different. I am not saying this is the cause for all duplicates, just something to take into account. 

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Thanks 1

It's possible that the checksums got messed up when we had to do the restore due to the hard drive on the games database server dying. I will review. It was an issue in the past but I believe it had been fixed a long time ago.

@peterrrjr Do us a favor and try not to completely fall off the handle. If something is broken, all I need to hear is that it is broken; not that it's the end of the world, because it really isn't. I am very sorry for the trouble.

• Like 1

I've done a whole bunch of research on this this morning, and I have some surprising results, though it makes perfect sense. As best I can tell, nothing is broken or bugged. However, we may want to change some of the logic as to how we download images.

First off, if you run a Download Metadata and Images process for a handful of games, and select only stuff from the LaunchBox Games Database (no EmuMovies), you'll probably get a lot of new images. But if you run it twice in a row, you'll get nothing new the second time. So that right there pretty much confirms that duplicates are not being downloaded from the LaunchBox Games Database. Please let me know if anyone gets additional images to download running the wizard twice in quick succession, as that would prove my theory wrong (but honestly I'm 99% confident in it already).

So then what's the issue? In my testing, it appears to be caused by the fact that the Download Metadata and Media wizard (in addition to game imports) will download all images for all regions for the game. Since the Clean Up Media process will get rid of images that are not used (images where the regions don't match the game's region), those images are then deleted. Then the download wizard will re-download them the next time it's run.

So I wouldn't call this an urgent issue, but it looks like we have two options; either we change the Clean Up Images wizard to keep images that are for a different region, or we stop downloading images for a different region during the import and media downloads processes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've discussed this further with the moderators, and I think the general consensus between us is that we should just not download images for different regions. The only issue with that (and the reason why it wasn't initially implemented that way) is that we often don't know the proper region for the game on import (usually all we have to go on is the file name, which may or may not have that information). In the case where we don't know the region from the file name, then the general LaunchBox region priority settings are used. So the main potential issue here is that if you change the region for a game later on, you won't have the proper media for that region unless you re-download. But I think that's a good tradeoff. Thoughts welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Per the other folks in this thread other than the OP, it's important to note that LaunchBox isn't magical, and can't magically identify when two images look similar. If they are the exact same image with the same file size and the same checksum (exactly the same bytes), then it should be able to identify them as duplicates. But I get the impression that some folks are hoping for magic unicorn duplicate detection, which doesn't really exist. Google tries to do it and does a decent job, but it's not perfect, and we're not Google.

• Like 2

@Jason Carr I certainly don’t expect magic except for if I ever travel back in time to my tenth birthday party then I want a magician hired for the occasion because I never had one before.

sometimes it is just nice to know the reason why things are happening and your investigating achieved that and is appreciated.

Only out of curiosity, is there much chance the LB and Emu end up catching up to each other with available media or is one usually a lot more ‘supplied’ than the other? I think I’ll just run the cleanup tool every once in a while as that’s certainly not the end of the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dane said:

@Jason Carr I certainly don’t expect magic except for if I ever travel back in time to my tenth birthday party then I want a magician hired for the occasion because I never had one before.

sometimes it is just nice to know the reason why things are happening and your investigating achieved that and is appreciated.

Only out of curiosity, is there much chance the LB and Emu end up catching up to each other with available media or is one usually a lot more ‘supplied’ than the other? I think I’ll just run the cleanup tool every once in a while as that’s certainly not the end of the world.

I never had one either. ;)

I think generally both the games database and EmuMovies are fairly well populated images-wise, which is probably one reason why there's so many duplicates. EmuMovies tends to have curated full sets, while the LaunchBox Games Database typically does things game-by-game, but has different images for various regions, and tends to have more choices as a result, and most often much larger images.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dane said:

bloody Aussies.

give the commonwealth a pick first would ya?? :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

bloody Aussies.

give the commonwealth a pick first would ya?? :)

I take offence to that, you didn’t capitalise the ‘c’ in Commonwealth which is an insult to my ancestors and heritage who’s bravery and hardwork spread disease and cruelty to many peaceful indigenous peoples across the globe. I will accept an official apology in the form of a magic trick.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dane said:

I take offence to that, you didn’t capitalise the ‘c’ in Commonwealth which is an insult to my ancestors and heritage who’s bravery and hardwork spread disease and cruelty to many peaceful indigenous peoples across the globe. I will accept an official apology in the form of a magic trick.

ermm, im not sure which part to get spanked.:)

Just to add something to this. I just checked my computer and the image clean up tool had finished which I had going whilst I was asleep last night but there still are multiple images in my Arcade Box - 3D folder:

image.thumb.png.531c3d3c4f40bc15677ab1953d18e3db.pngI am not sure if that is useful information but thought I would share in case it is.

I can live with that though :)

1 minute ago, Dane said:

Just to add something to this. I just checked my computer and the image clean up tool had finished which I had going whilst I was asleep last night but there still are multiple images in my Arcade Box - 3D folder:

image.thumb.png.531c3d3c4f40bc15677ab1953d18e3db.pngI am not sure if that is useful information but thought I would share in case it is.

I can live with that though :)

my system says/.....