LaunchBox Community Forums

9.6-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Beta 11 is out now with the following:

• Fixed a potential threading error with the accelerated downloads
  • Background updates now use accelerated downloads as well
  • Themes manager now formats the version number correctly (1.0 instead of just 1)
  • Themes manager no longer displays "Currently Installed Version: Unknown" if the theme is not installed
  • Themes manager now prevents selections when transitioning from one theme to another in the list (was a minor usability issue)
  • Themes manager now selects the new theme after install, update, and repair
  • Fixed an error attempting to launch games in Big Box when there are no games in the list
  • Fixed Drodrick's aforemented controller filters error
  • Translation updates

I think at this point, we're very close to a release, so I plan to put out the 9.6 release within the next couple of days. Any testing would be very much appreciated. Unfortunately the threading error I found with the accelerated downloads could mean that folks who downloaded beta 10 may run into an error while downloading beta 11 (it's not likely but it is possible). If that happens, the easiest thing to do to resolve it would be to temporarily turn on background updates, and just let it update in the background instead. That issue should already be fixed for this release.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Drodrick said:

Thanks jason I downloaded it, so I dont know what happend after this update launchboxbox gives me two blue screens, and it seem my setting and bigboxsetting files are corrupted, anybody has the same problem or just me?

What are the exact error messages?

Okay so after Restarting both LaunchBox and my PC it seems most of my games through MagicEngine aren't running at all. There was even one time I Launched a game and was able to go back to MagicEngine's Main Menu when usually that exits me back to LaunchBox, but most of the games are Launching to a Black Screen. I can't seem figure what really is causing this that even MagicEngine in the Main Menu acted as it couldn't find my ROMs when they're in the same place they've always been. I have yet to manually run MagicEngine without LaunchBox to see how that goes, but seems more on the LaunchBox side than anything.

I have yet to manually run MagicEngine without LaunchBox to see how that goes, but seems more on the LaunchBox side than anything.

I don't think we can definitively say that, it's always best to troubleshoot emulator issues in the emulator itself before LaunchBox.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Drodrick said:

I updated to 9.0 and works fine, launchbox said it your settings.file is corrupted please search the backup folder, same for bigbox configuration and cache.list,

I'm not fully following you here. We're on 9.6, so do you mean you downgraded to 9.0? If you downgraded that far, that might make sense as to data files not working.

12 hours ago, RULLUR said:

So I'm running into this issue when I launch with a Black Background right behind it which I'm sure is part of the Startup. Not sure if it's LaunchBox related, but figured I'd let you know @Jason Carr, and see whoelse maybe had this issue too. It used to run just fineimage.thumb.png.2d803c5de0567a45cfbadb49b1820804.png

It looks like MagicEngine is not running full-screen. The startup screens won't work under most circumstances when the emulator does not launch fullscreen. I haven't tested that emulator either, so you may just have to experiment with the options. But if it worked before, I'm guessing that somehow the emulator is just no longer running in fullscreen.

9 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Okay so after Restarting both LaunchBox and my PC it seems most of my games through MagicEngine aren't running at all. There was even one time I Launched a game and was able to go back to MagicEngine's Main Menu when usually that exits me back to LaunchBox, but most of the games are Launching to a Black Screen. I can't seem figure what really is causing this that even MagicEngine in the Main Menu acted as it couldn't find my ROMs when they're in the same place they've always been. I have yet to manually run MagicEngine without LaunchBox to see how that goes, but seems more on the LaunchBox side than anything.

The first troubleshooting step should always be to try the emulator without LaunchBox.

1 hour ago, Artik said:

Jason, do you plan to make skinners able to override the left gamelist font size? 

Responded in the thread.

Just wanted to update everyone on the MagicEngine issue. I did later after posting about running it without LaunchBox and everything works fine in Fullscreen and everything as it should. In the first post yes it got stuck in a Unresponsive Window to where it usually loads up from that into Fullscreen, but didn't. I Reset everything and went on the update further in the 2nd post to let you all know it did go Fullscreen, but refused to play most of the games. So as it seems it is a LaunchBox thing, which I'm guessing somehow it's not commanding MagicEngine to load up the ROMs correctly like it used to, but then again I'm not a Programmer to really know in full, but just going based on what I see.

Edited by RULLUR

3 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Just wanted to update everyone on the MagicEngine issue. I did later after posting about running it without LaunchBox and everything works fine in Fullscreen and everything as it should. In the first post yes it got stuck in a Unresponsive Window to where it usually loads up from that into Fullscreen, but didn't. I Reset everything and went on the update further in the 2nd post to let you all know it did go Fullscreen, but refused to play most of the games. So as it seems it is a LaunchBox thing, which I'm guessing somehow it's not commanding MagicEngine to load up the ROMs correctly like it used to, but then again I'm not a Programmer to really know in full, but just going based on what I see.

Nothing changed for launching games, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. Most likely it's some kind of conflict with the game startup screens. Try disabling those to see if that fixes it.

Looks like that helped somewhat because the first time I did it the game was all black and took a while to exit, and then I went in again to where it it showed up. I'd hate to disable the Startup Screens for most of my TurboGrafx-16 since I'm working quite heavily on making them all look awesome for each game I launch that I've even been trying to submit them to the Database too when I can get around to doing so. I pretty much have to do Non-RetroArch stuff on my Laptop because I still have yet to find a real solution on why it freezes up on  the projector when I HDMI to it. Almost thinking of seeing how I can get TurboGrafx-16 to run through MAME instead if this MagicEngine stuff keeps getting as screwy as it does. It's a great Emulator, but I don't need it to be such a hassle through LaunchBox when all we're doing is trying is making things easier to go about and play.

I'm in the middle of getting Beta 12, so I'm unsure if that's gonna oddly fix it to where I can use Startup Screens again or not. I've only tested one game without a Startup Screen, so it's hard to say if it's a complete fix or not. I was almost thinking about doing the feature that hides the console window and see if that fixes it to where I can have my Startup Screens and have everything running right again or not

I have Mednafen, but for some reason it speeds up and has no sound when I HDMI it to my projector. I may check that TurboEngine though. Right now I'm seeing about which version of MAME will run TurboGrafx-16 since MAME works very well when I HDMI and seem to be working on Emulating various Consoles since I guess MESS is part of MAME now. I've yet to get any consoles to Launch through MAME without having manually do so though, but I'm sure I'm overlooking something

2 hours ago, Isoku said:

Why you want to use Magic Engine so absolutely? What about Mednafen? Magic Engine is just a really old emulator. Are there any Updates for this emu?

They seem to still update MagicEngine, and they expect people to pay for it too or it'll lock up after 5Mins of play, which of course is likely to get some not to wanna upgrade after years of it being free before then.

Besides that, it seems some ROMs I had are acting strange as I tested it with TurboEngine, so they no longer will be listed for play in MagicEngine. Didn't help some were PD and I guess updating my Video Drive somehow helped too. So for now it seems MagicEngine is back to normal as far as I know, and I don't even have to disable the Startup Screens now. TurboEngine would get unresponsive while setting the controls for it

I think I'm still gonna look into using MAME for more than Arcade and find out how I can simply do it through LaunchBox without doing it manually too. I have a feeling someone or a few here already know how. Even someone on YouTube claimed to get their Atari 7800 stuff to run on MAME through LaunchBox, but they never really said how.

Edited by RULLUR