LaunchBox Community Forums

9.6-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Mednafen, either the stand alone or the Retroarch core is currently the best way to emulate the TG16 / PC Engine and CD games. I use the Beetle SGX core in RA which is a port of Mednafen because it handles all of the games including SuperGrafx.

Atari 7800 is launched using the command line parameter.

a7800 -cart1

You will also need the appropriate bios for it to work.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Mednafen, either the stand alone or the Retroarch core is currently the best way to emulate the TG16 / PC Engine and CD games. I use the Beetle SGX core in RA which is a port of Mednafen because it handles all of the games including SuperGrafx.

Atari 7800 is launched using the command line parameter.

a7800 -cart1

You will also need the appropriate bios for it to work.

I really wish I could get RetroArch and Mednafen to run on my projector setup since they both can do so much, but RetroArch crashes to a black screen and Mednafen speeds up so fast and has no sound to where right as soon as I hit start it's game over for me. So until I find out how to fix that, I have to look for alternatives. I use RetroArch at most on my GPD Win though.

I was thinking it was a BIOS thing with MAME, but not sure if having them in the MAME ROM Directory or have whichever console ROM Directory has the BIOS MAME needs in there instead. I have a BIOS pack for just about everything in my MAME ROMs Directory though

That's an unfortunate issue with RA and Mednafen for your setup, wish I could help you with it, try asking over on the RA or Mednafen forums.

As for the 7800 bios they can go wherever you want as long as you point your mame.ini rompath to it. I have a specially setup version of Mame just for consoles and computers and I just put all my bios in the roms folder inside of my Mame install, that way I don't have to change anything with the rompath in the mame.ini file.

• Thanks 1

Okay..so looks to be that Atari 7800 trick worked very well! Thanks so much @Lordmonkus on that too. I guess keeping the BIOS in the MAME ROMs Directory was the right place. Now if I can get this to work with everything else via MAME. Do we happen to have a thread for that somewhere within the Forum?

To run the former MESS stuff in MAME you basically need to know 2 things the name that MAME knows the system by and the type of media. You would just add those two things to the command line. So for example Turbo Grafx is tg16 -cart PCEngine would be pcengine -cart. Now using the CD portion of this system is different and from what I've read requires a different command line pointing the bios to the actual file name of the CD game so while usually the basic command of system + media type doesn't always work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

To run the former MESS stuff in MAME you basically need to know 2 things the name that MAME knows the system by and the type of media. You would just add those two things to the command line. So for example Turbo Grafx is tg16 -cart PCEngine would be pcengine -cart. Now using the CD portion of this system is different and from what I've read requires a different command line pointing the bios to the actual file name of the CD game so while usually the basic command of system + media type doesn't always work.

Cool..and I appreciate this info as well. Just got my Lynx stuff going through it now since Handy doesn't wanna Fullscreen correctly, and the alternatives of RetroArch and Mednafen did as I spoke of before too, so I'm glad to get the MAME option going now. As far as the 7800 I noticed ProSystems can't seem to properly Emulate everything to where some sound quality loses parts to it or some sprites get scrambled or don't even show up in ProSystems, so MAME did it right. I may use MAME as an alternative for everything else, especially if I'm not satisfied with particular control scheme for a game and don't wanna mess up the entire platform. I know RetroArch could do that too..but as you know my projector setup for some reason acts up with RetroArch, even when I adjust the Mirror settings

@Jason Carr Weird bug in 9.6 official. While in the theme manager, if I press down on joystick while on the credits tab of a theme, big box crashes. I see a reference to music but I even turned off the music options (even though I don't have any) and get same crash.  I am able to scroll down through the views without any issue. Just seems to be the credits tab.

Capture.PNG

Not sure if it's my Laptop or LaunchBox but seems when I Edit it now is taking forever that even when I screenshot this and hit the Windows Key after, the whole thing closed out. Before that, I had to try open it like 4 times as it would Initialize and then go away each time until it finally openedimage.thumb.png.565339b8a54b28e37589c97e88a69e56.png

9 hours ago, ed20910 said:

@Jason Carr Weird bug in 9.6 official. While in the theme manager, if I press down on joystick while on the credits tab of a theme, big box crashes. I see a reference to music but I even turned off the music options (even though I don't have any) and get same crash.  I am able to scroll down through the views without any issue. Just seems to be the credits tab.

Capture.PNG

Same issue when pressing down on description.

image.thumb.png.34d5ea61e3806d584d13a73049614dba.png

My 9.7 refuses to open at all now. Just says things are Initializing and then stops. I even went to ReInstall it Manually, but no luck of getting in at all now. Gets as far as says "Loading Interface..." and that's it! Other than my cursor starts to buffer like something it about to happen..but doesn't. Not exactly sure what to do at this point to fix this matter.

Edited by RULLUR

Okay..so I hope I got 9.7 running again after checking the Backups and replacing the Data. Thing is I couldn't get in LaunchBox..but could get in BigBox. Not sure if replacing the Data was the solution or not since before that I had to open LaunchBox about 4 times or so before it brought everything up. I thought Resetting my Laptop and then turning it off would help, but that didn't really do anything. All I know is thing has gotten much slower in the newer updates when at one point it seemed the slowdown was fixed somewhat.

On 3/30/2019 at 6:33 PM, RULLUR said:

Okay..so I hope I got 9.7 running again after checking the Backups and replacing the Data. Thing is I couldn't get in LaunchBox..but could get in BigBox. Not sure if replacing the Data was the solution or not since before that I had to open LaunchBox about 4 times or so before it brought everything up. I thought Resetting my Laptop and then turning it off would help, but that didn't really do anything. All I know is thing has gotten much slower in the newer updates when at one point it seemed the slowdown was fixed somewhat.

If you think it's data related, feel free to zip up and PM me your current data folder and I'll investigate. It does not appear to be a widespread issue though, as I haven't heard anything else like this since the official release.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

How can you play a sound file on the new startup screens?

I haven't specifically set out to implement that feature, but there may still be a way to do it with XAML (probably with MediaElement at least, assuming Windows Media Player is installed).