LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

99% of the keyboard layouts out there have some accents placed differently. So I thought on using letters instead of symbols as shortcuts . Letters are less likely to change much. Therefore I used the shortcuts "i" for Zoom In and the letter "o" for Zoom Out. These letters should work for most keyboard with Roman letters. Also, I do not think both letters are used on other FrontEnds shortcuts but I have not tested this. 

See if this works and feel free to include it on newer releases /patches.

Int. Keyboard layout.zip

Edited by bbneo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zombeaver, thankyou for all your hard work and dedication in this immense project that you have undertaken, really is appreciated for an old Commodore 64 fan like myself. Could I request 2 games to be included?

The first is Percy the Potty Pigeon by Gremlin Graphics, it was one of my favourite games growing up. 

Percy The Potty Pigeon (Signed) – The Gremlin Graphics Archive (gremlinarchive.com)

The second game is Fix it Felix Jr which is a recent game by Antonio Savona which has amazing gameplay and some of the best speech and music that I have heard on the C64. Also the game is free to download but you can name your price with donations going to UNICEF. 

Fix-It Felix Jr. by brokenbytes (itch.io)

I also found this box art online which compliments the game very well.

Apologies if they are already included.

fix it felix.png

Sure, I can add both of those in the next version @SmashinGit. That looks like a really nice conversion of Fix It Felix.

For future reference, and this goes for anyone else since this seems to keep coming up, if you're not sure if something is already in the set or not, just check the spreadsheet. Every game in the set along with any relevant details are listed there. It's linked in the opening post and is available in the Docs section of the Configurator that comes with the set. You just start the "Game Info Spreadsheet" shortcut.

I appreciate when people make specific requests, I'll always add those in. Chances are if one person likes a game enough to want it in the collection, someone else will too.

Nice work @edgemundo!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Sure, I can add both of those in the next version @SmashinGit. That looks like a really nice conversion of Fix It Felix.

For future reference, and this goes for anyone else since this seems to keep coming up, if you're not sure if something is already in the set or not, just check the spreadsheet. Every game in the set along with any relevant details are listed there. It's linked in the opening post and is available in the Docs section of the Configurator that comes with the set. You just start the "Game Info Spreadsheet" shortcut.

I appreciate when people make specific requests, I'll always add those in. Chances are if one person likes a game enough to want it in the collection, someone else will too.

Nice work @edgemundo!

Could I request Alice in Wonderland, made by the same company as Below the Root?  It was a really fun early adventure game.

Have you thought at all about the patreon I asked about on Reddit?  I really would like to contribute since you're putting so much effort in and I think the work you're doing is going to make the C64 accessible to younger generations who wouldn't get it since it's so different today.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, Gatt9 said:

Could I request Alice in Wonderland, made by the same company as Below the Root?  It was a really fun early adventure game.

Sure, I'll have it in the next version.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, Gatt9 said:

Have you thought at all about the patreon I asked about on Reddit?

A little bit. Unfortunately, almost immediately after releasing the set I got Covid which has knocked me on my ass for the last three weeks, so I've been really out of it lately.

What I would really prefer rather than a Patreon is just a way for people to make simple donations if they want. I'm not a fan of Paypal though, so preferably not that. I'm not sure what the best alternative would be. Maybe Google Pay but I'm not sure. I just want something simple.

23 minutes ago, Pixelpiper said:

PayPal is far and away the best option. Lowest barrier to entry, easy one-time donations, lowest commission charged.

Paypal requires that both the recipient and the donator show their names. Google Pay just uses an email address and doesn't charge any commission (if it's via checking account/debit card; it's 2.9% for a credit card, which is still lower than Paypal).

*sigh* The problem with Google Pay is that soon it will be like basically everything else (other than Paypal) which requires a separate phone app (which I'm not a fan of, and I'm not a fan of needing other people to install an app either) - they're getting rid of their standard browser option later this year. I'm not going to do some kind of crypto junk either. I really dislike Paypal, I feel like they're really overbearing but I don't know of a better option either. Everybody uses it already and it's pretty easy to use. I don't want to go down the Patreon route because I don't like the idea of people paying for, ostensibly, some kind of ongoing service. I do this stuff in my free time for the fun of it and because I want other people to be able to experience these games for themselves, in an easy, hassle-free way, and provide as good of a user experience as I can. If people appreciate the work that I do and want to throw some coins in my hat, they're welcome (but under zero obligation) to do so - I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing either way. Any donations would literally go straight into the piggy bank to keep my website running; which I spend more-than-zero dollars on each year haha

So if anyone has any desire to make a donation, I guess Paypal it is for the time being. You can find mine here.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:46 PM, bbneo said:

99% of the keyboard layouts out there have some accents placed differently. So I thought on using letters instead of symbols as shortcuts . Letters are less likely to change much. Therefore I used the shortcuts "i" for Zoom In and the letter "o" for Zoom Out. These letters should work for most keyboard with Roman letters. Also, I do not think both letters are used on other FrontEnds shortcuts but I have not tested this. 

See if this works and feel free to include it on newer releases /patches.

Int. Keyboard layout.zip 518.91 kB · 6 downloads

Hey, i just tried this as mine didn't zoom either... i got a german layout keyboard, When i have a Manual open i can zoom in and out with the i and o keys on the keyboard but RB + LB on the gamepad do nothing. (Xinput mode on two 8bitdo pads tested)

Joystick Test Script.exe shows 5 and 6 but i first have to right click the apps icon and select the suspend hotkeys option before it shows anything (might that be important?)

My Xbox 360 controllers work fine on the Joystick Test Script. (No need to touch on the Autohotkey icon). If your controllers fail the Test Script, they obviously will fail to Zoom on the Manuals files.

Have you mapped the RB and LB buttons in the LaunchBox->Options->Game Controller->Mappings? Have you tried to temporarily close Launchbox and test only your controllers with the Joystick Test Script?

1 hour ago, bbneo said:

Have you tried to temporarily close Launchbox and test only your controllers with the Joystick Test Script?

yes, same as i described, first there is no reaction, then i right click on the tray icon of the test script, put a checkmark in "Suspend Hotkeys", then it displays ALL the keys just fine.  
If yours doesn't do that i'll try later with one of my old X360 pads (it has horrible stick drift and idk where the USB dongle is right now lol, maybe tomorrow)  

I have the default settings in LB Controller Mappings, i removed the bindings for LB+RB (5+6), that didn't help. (they do work fine in the LaunchBox UI though.)  

I also noticed that there are 2 scripts running while a C64 game is active. in the tray, like with the test script i can right click and Suspend Hotkeys, but it still won't zoom with RB+LB if i open the manual... so that isn't the solution either.  

On 3/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, Z3R0B4NG said:

(might that be important?)

Probably, but I wouldn't know what to tell you to do about it other than what's already been said. I would suggest using a 360/XB1 controller.

19 hours ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

I also noticed that there are 2 scripts running while a C64 game is active.

This is normal. There are more or less depending on what features are used. If it's just the game without a manual or custom music it's 1. If it's the game + manual or custom music it's 2. If it's the game + manual + custom music it's 3.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:16 AM, Z3R0B4NG said:

yes, same as i described, first there is no reaction, then i right click on the tray icon of the test script, put a checkmark in "Suspend Hotkeys", then it displays ALL the keys just fine.  
If yours doesn't do that i'll try later with one of my old X360 pads (it has horrible stick drift and idk where the USB dongle is right now lol, maybe tomorrow)  

I have the default settings in LB Controller Mappings, i removed the bindings for LB+RB (5+6), that didn't help. (they do work fine in the LaunchBox UI though.)  

I also noticed that there are 2 scripts running while a C64 game is active. in the tray, like with the test script i can right click and Suspend Hotkeys, but it still won't zoom with RB+LB if i open the manual... so that isn't the solution either.  

I suggest you to register to AutohotKey and ask the forums for help. Use the "Joystick Test Script" code as an example. There might be others with the same 8bitdo joypad issues or some advanced users that can assist.  

Yeah that may be your best bet. Unfortunately, AHK is quite finicky when it comes to recognizing joysticks and joystick inputs. It's why I rely on it for that purpose as little as possible (nearly everything is handled through Retroarch and Antimicro). It's necessary in this specific situation though.

I could potentially look into swapping Antimicro profiles depending on what's active, creating one specifically for CDisplay, but that could get convoluted real quick. If there's something that I could change in my code that would help, I'll do it but I'm not sure what it would be, and I don't have an 8bitdo controller to test with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, edgemundo said:

Hey all,

Thought I'd share a simple Platform video, and video boarder I made for this great pack.  Not the best, but it fills the gap for those who want to use BigBox with it.

C64 Platform Video.zip 49.06 MB · 8 downloads

Hello, :) Thanks for this, but where do I put the files?

C64 Various Files - Games, Magazines etc...

Edited by PerryRhodan

17 minutes ago, zugswang said:

Hi,

I have an odd issue and it may be related to C64 Dreams.

Whenever I set a highscore on MAME your name Zombeaver is set against the highscores ! (see image below)

Is this an issue you have heard of before and if so how can i fix it without having to remove C64 Dreams ?

Thanks in advance.

161614644192760744.png

Go to the hamburger menu, then cloud and choose "disconnect from the Launchbox game database". then log back in with your details.

image.thumb.png.cb5e99400de0ccd6e8388f9c500c2736.png

20 minutes ago, zugswang said:

Hi,

I have an odd issue and it may be related to C64 Dreams.

Whenever I set a highscore on MAME your name Zombeaver is set against the highscores ! (see image below)

Is this an issue you have heard of before and if so how can i fix it without having to remove C64 Dreams ?

Thanks in advance.

161614644192760744.png

It sounds like you didnt follow the merge instructions correctly, and you merged files you shouldnt of done, namely the settings.xml file, which overrode your own settings.

• Like 1

Thanks @neil9000

Yes, I did some digging and it looks like the instance of LB that's distributed with C64 Dreams is logged into my db account although this shouldn't affect anything for anyone so long as the import instructions are followed correctly. The only scenario where it would matter is if you were to use C64 Dreams as a base and imported all your platforms into it, and not the other way around (and I don't know why anyone would do this). That said, I'll make sure this is remedied in the next update.

None of the files that are imported when you import into an existing library should result in you being logged into my db account. To my knowledge that's locked to the settings.xml which isn't something you're supposed to import. The list of files to import are listed in the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Files to import.txt. After that you paste some lines into the parents and platforms xmls.

You should be able to fix it by going to cloud > disconnect from the db and then connect with your info.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...