LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

16 hours ago, omnikam said:

Awesome collection, but the game numbers look way low. None of the Might and Magic games are included

As is explained in the opening post:

1) This is a curated collection so yes, of course the "numbers are way low", that's kindof the point; even when it's "done" (which it's only at about 35% at this point) it will never be near something like GB64's numbers by design, because one of the goals of the project is to filter out the extreme amount of noise in a collection like that. My estimate when all is said and done is something like 8000 games.

2) I'm making my way through Gamebase64 in alphabetical order and am currently working through "K", which means that I haven't gotten to Might and Magic yet. It's why out of a collection of 2500 games nearly 1700 of them fall within # and J.

16 hours ago, omnikam said:

One question, how do you flip a disc?

This is also explained in the opening post in the usage section. It's also shown on the controls reference image.

• 4 weeks later...

You can launch either through the right click menu. It just defaults to the web versions until you overwrite your xml to default to the local ones (because that makes more sense as a default given that the local versions are optional). xmls to change the default launch behavior are in the magazines folder. Use the Default Local one if you want it to default to those.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, hopefully a quick thing.  I'm merging this with my current collection, and I've followed the directions I found here.  However I need to leave the C64 Dreams folder on another drive for space reasons.  To accommodate this, I've edited the platform xml files for the correct path, and so far games and magazines launch just fine.  The issue I'm having is that the images aren't showing up in my Launchbox.  I copied over the image folders as instructed.  Do you know what else I need to change?

The images just need to be merged in with your existing images folder. If they're not showing up the only thing I could guess is that you've inadvertently changed their paths in the process of changing the paths for the games. Either that or you didn't merge in the lines for the platforms.xml correctly from Platforms XML Insert.txt

The image paths are specified in the platforms.xml in the MediaType fields i.e. MediaType Box - Back has a FolderPath of Images\C64 Dreams\Box - Back etc. repeated for each image type and for each relevant platform (Games, Magazines, etc.)

Just FYI I've been working on the next update for the last month. I've still got a ways to go but it's coming along. I'll have some more specific progress details soon. Like last time I'll be posting games added as I go, probably in blocks of 100 or so, to give the folks that work on the LBGDB a heads up beforehand.

• Like 1

For people who just want to import the roms + it's predefined launcher & configuration: I simply copied the "C64 Dreams" to an external drive(or anywhere else you want) and imported the .VBS files from the "Games" folder into launchbox and let it parse it. Imported as "None of the above" when prompted for type of file on import. 

Alright y'all, the first 100 games in the next update are done. Working on the games themselves has probably been the least time consuming part of the process so far haha. I have a long blog post on my site going over some upcoming features and plans, so check that out for more info. You can find it here. The TLDR version is that I'm incorporating per-game Zzap!64 reviews i.e. you right-click on a game and then are taken directly to the review for that game, either in the web or local version depending on which shortcut you start. I'm also working on a (somewhat stripped down) version for RG351 devices (I picked up an RG351V recently and have had a lot of fun with it) which could be crossed over fairly easily to other devices like a Pi.

Anyway, like last time I'll be posting the specific game additions as I add them for the purposes of any potential LBGDB metadata improvements in the interim. I have the feeling there will be less need for that with this update than there normally is since I'm focusing on titles reviewed in Zzap!64 this go round rather than just going through GB64 as I normally do. I'll definitely be getting back to that in the future but given the focus on the review integration I'm going through and adding anything that was reviewed but wasn't in the collection already. Here's the first batch:

Airwolf
Almazz
Antics
Ark Pandora
Astonishing Adventures of Mr. Weems and the She Vampires, The
Battle for Normandy
Beatle Quest
Blizzard! Part I - Commando Libya
Brian Bloodaxe
Brian Jack's Superstar Challenge
Bristles
Bulge, The
Castle Blackstar
Castle Dracula
Chickin Chase
Chopper
Circus Circus
Combat Leader
Crillion
Crossroads II
Crystal Frog
Cylu
Emerald Isle
Estra
Fighter Pilot
Fire One
Five A-Side
Fix It Felix Jr.
Flight Simulator II
Flyer Fox
Gettysburg - The Turning Point
Glider Pilot
Graham Gooch's Test Cricket
Grand Larceny
Great American Cross-Country Road Race, The
Herbert's Dummy Run
Hi Bouncer
Ian Botham's Test Match
Jump Jet
Kayak
Knight Orc
Knockout
Lands of Havoc, The
Lost City, The
Merlin
Mindshadow
Mindwheel
Monster Trivia
Moon Cresta
Mordon's Quest
Nick Faldo Plays the Open
Nutcraka
On-Court Tennis
On-Field Football
Operation Swordfish
Operation Whirlwind
Out on a Limb
Pac-Man
Penetrator
Percy The Potty Pigeon
Poker (Duckworth Home Computing)
Pole Position
Raskel
Realms of Darkness
Red Moon
Richard Petty's Talladega
Ripper!
Rupert and the Toymaker's Party
Scoop!, The
Scroll of Akbar Khan, The
Shades
Shoot Em Up
Skyjet
Software Star
Solo Flight
Sorcerer (Infocom)
Space Shuttle - A Journey Into Space
Spitfire 40
Spooks
Star League Baseball
Starfire
Stop the Express
Stringer
Subsunk
Super Gran - The Adventure
Super Huey
Super Zaxxon
Taskmaster
Tim Love's Cricket
Time Search
Tir Na Nog
Tracer Sanction, The
Valkyrie 17
Velnor's Lair
View to a Kill, A
Vortron
Web Dimension
Whirlinurd
Witch's Cauldron, The
World Series Baseball

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Zombeaver! I know you are mainly working down on the alphabetic order but there is superb game with nice graphics and sound on the "Z" letter. I finished the game on my childhood after countless hours. The game is called Zybex from Zeppelin games. It a was a "budget" game but it is one of the best 1 or 2 players shoot 'em up for the C64. Here is the Zzap! review. http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=035&page=099&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&check=1

I would really appreciate you adding it on the next batch.

Edited by bbneo

It'll be in there. I'm still working on indexing all the reviews, incorporating them for games that are already in the collection, and adding in games that are reviewed that aren't in the collection. Every game in the first 14 issues is now in the collection, along with their reviews, as well as reviews for games that were already in the collection for the first 31 issues. 652 reviews are setup currently. I'll have to recount but adding in the missing games until I reach 500 new games for the update should put me at around issue 35. I'll make sure that one's in there either way though.

The next 100 games are in but I still have to do some testing on them, which is what I'm working on currently, but I'll be posting that list once that's done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DerSchlachter said:

Still the best c64 Setup i've ever seen and still in use in my Setup! One question, how can i update your Retoarch Setup to Version 1.9.8 without destroying all Setups / visuals (red UI). I want to implementate this https://forums.libretro.com/t/thenamec-mega-bezel-commodore-pack/31523

You can't without breaking some things. With that said, the next version will be using 1.9.4 so you could use it with that.

• 2 weeks later...