LaunchBox Community Forums

Fake emulator or something else ?

PattersonCZ

Hello ,

i am long Launchbox user and always use LB just for windows games. Now i buy Nintendo Switch. So i wanna make list of my games. I use LB. But i know i cant launch games from LB. But it always ask me for emulator or execution file when i add game or change something like differen art.  It ask for it every time. Can i make it stop please ? I just wanna make list so i know my games.

Thank you for answer or suggestion.

I just add games manually when i buy it. I create Category Nintendo Switch. Then i add some games. But it always ask for emulator even when i have not checked box "Use emulator" And still it ask for one. I know this is primary for launching games. But i wanna simple list of games for my Nintendo Switch. Can i somehow disable when LB still ask for emulator ? Or maybe i will point every game to picture or something.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Just make a fake emulator like @DOS76 suggested with a simple text file as the emulator.

This doesn't work. For example, in Examu you selecte the application path as the gameloader.exe, set no emulator in the emulation tab and Launchbox still pops up a message saying "You'll need to add an emulator to play..." If you create a dummy emulator with a txt file, launchbox will open the empty txt file in notepad instead of the game.

Do we have a solution for this that does not involve Rocketlauncher?

15 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

This doesn't work. For example, in Examu you selecte the application path as the gameloader.exe, set no emulator in the emulation tab and Launchbox still pops up a message saying "You'll need to add an emulator to play..." If you create a dummy emulator with a txt file, launchbox will open the empty txt file in notepad instead of the game.

Do we have a solution for this that does not involve Rocketlauncher?

I think your scenario differs from the OP. He was simply wanting to add a list of games to LB as a catalog. So he was getting tired of each time he added or edited having to click the prompt warning him to add an emulator. That is why it was mentioned just to create a dummy emulator. He was never planning on launching anything.

As for your situation launching a game direclty from and .exe should work without issue. I have several game launching either gameloader.exe, loader.exe or game.exe and the pop up does not show when launching a game. Many of them are in my Taito Type X platform, but since TTX name is also linked to Teknoparrot emulator for some games, when I edit the games that are exe launched that is when I get the pop up.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 12.44.13 PM.png

Just now, Retro808 said:

I think your scenario differs from the OP. He was simply wanting to add a list of games to LB as a catalog. So he was getting tired of each time he added or edited having to click the prompt warning him to add an emulator. That is why it was mentioned just to create a dummy emulator. He was never planning on launching anything.

As for your situation launching a game direclty from and .exe should work without issue. I have several game launching either gameloader.exe, loader.exe or game.exe and the pop up does not show when launching a game. Many of them are in my Taito Type X platform, but since TTX name is also linked to Teknoparrot emulator for some games, when I edit the games that are exe launched that is when I get the pop up.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 12.44.13 PM.png

Precisely. Launching games isn't a problem, it's the popup when editing them that is annoying.

It's something I COULD live with, but not all things require an emulator and the message says that you NEED to specify an emulator, which lends to confusion since the reality is you don't need to do anything at all.

9 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Precisely. Launching games isn't a problem, it's the popup when editing them that is annoying.

It's something I COULD live with, but not all things require an emulator and the message says that you NEED to specify an emulator, which lends to confusion since the reality is you don't need to do anything at all.

If they dont need a emulator then dont import them as roms. Just drag and drop the .exe and choose the "none of the above" option in the wizard.

42 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If they dont need a emulator then dont import them as roms. Just drag and drop the .exe and choose the "none of the above" option in the wizard.

It does not work though if you import them into a platform linked to an emulator. Even if you select None of the Above, when you edit the game it asks for that since it sees the platform name in an Associated Platform tab of an emulator.

53 minutes ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Ah, I misunderstood your first post. Yeah, something I have learned to get used to. Although I am not sure it has ever really been brought up in enough posts.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That's fine for new imports, but if you have older imports, disabling "use emulator' should also disable that popup and it doesn't.