LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 4/28/2019 at 9:27 AM, deliyuerek85 said:

In Retroarch, if I push the "Home" Button on my PS4 controller (which is set up es an XInput controller), than the pause screen appears, even though controller automation is deactivated. Is this intentional?

After 2 or 3 times the pause screen stops to work. Than I need to restart BigBox for it to work again.

EDIT:

Dolphin: The puase menu appears with pushing the home button on the controller, too. after a few times the pause screen does not appear any more but the game screen pauses. If I push the button again the game goes on.

SSF (Saturn Emulator): The Pause screen appears but the emulator closes/crashes after closing the pause screen. I'm using this emulator because it works best on my system.

Per the home button, I'm guessing you have some other kind of automation thing that is causing keypresses or something of that nature. There are a bunch of ways to bind the pause screens. Trying unbinding all of them (see the original post). I suspect that the Dolphin issue is somehow related to that as well. I'll try to test with SSF.

11 hours ago, wallmachine said:

The following might be true with BB/LB but can't tell as its not working correctly.

With the Startup theme it delays the start of the emulator right? is it possible to actually overlay the emulator like RocketLauncher does so that we can hide some messy starts in certain games?

Messy starts are already hidden properly in most cases. We've discussed this stuff to the moon and back, and as long as you allow for fullscreen exclusive mode, it's entirely impossible to overlay things exactly like Rocket Launcher, so that is not planned (Rocket Launcher just makes sure that nothing runs in fullscreen exclusive mode, which is a performance issue).

10 hours ago, wallmachine said:

twice this week ive noticed two of my platforms disappear and create an  "Unknown Platform.xml"

If you can figure out how to reproduce it, I can look into it. Unfortunately I need more of a lead in order to figure out what happened.

1 minute ago, TheNewClassics said:

Tried with a new download of MAME. I think you might be right, I was able to get into and out of the Pause Screen properly. Guess it'll come down to figuring out what is throwing my setup off. 

Good to hear. Yeah, if you happen to figure out what setting it is that's causing the issue, let me know. That way I can test with it to see if it's possible to fix it for that scenario. :)

What's even weirder now is I'm testing with the original MAME I was using, and it's working well and consistently. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can pinpoint what might have caused it, but thanks for the suggestion and support

EDIT: One utility I do use that might cause some issues is called Arcade Guns Pro Utility. It runs in the background and helps calibrate arcade guns for use with MAME. In the past it has caused issues because it does have a utility that can change MAME's ctrlr file depending on the settings. I'm not sure if it has any correlation, but I can think of a time where it has caused me a headache or two. 

Edited by TheNewClassics
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Per the home button, I'm guessing you have some other kind of automation thing that is causing keypresses or something of that nature. There are a bunch of ways to bind the pause screens. Trying unbinding all of them (see the original post). I suspect that the Dolphin issue is somehow related to that as well. I'll try to test with SSF.

I have tested it again. Something very strange is happening here. It has nothing to do with the assignments in the options. The Keyboard mapping was not set at all.

To test it I have deleted every keyboard and controller automation mappings in the xml file. See bellow screenshots. Now when I deactivate the keyboard automation and press the home putton on the controller while playing a game, the pause screen does not appear. But if I activate it, even if the buttons are all not mapped, the pause screen appears.

How can this happen? This makes no sense. There must be something else that triggers this.

01.thumb.png.4cc28f25e5de83a9c759320bca6198fc.png

02.thumb.png.857b3f02b94521a7585196a578f1e6e5.png

03.thumb.png.fbd5d19eff1cdfaf4f0cd5424a1dc9f0.png

6 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

I have tested it again. Something very strange is happening here. It has nothing to do with the assignments in the options. The Keyboard mapping was not set at all.

To test it I have deleted every keyboard and controller automation mappings in the xml file. See bellow screenshots. Now when I deactivate the keyboard automation and press the home putton on the controller while playing a game, the pause screen does not appear. But if I activate it, even if the buttons are all not mapped, the pause screen appears.

How can this happen? This makes no sense. There must be something else that triggers this.

01.thumb.png.4cc28f25e5de83a9c759320bca6198fc.png

02.thumb.png.857b3f02b94521a7585196a578f1e6e5.png

03.thumb.png.fbd5d19eff1cdfaf4f0cd5424a1dc9f0.png

Hmm, well, if you enable keyboard automation but don't set the buttons, they will all be zero by default. So maybe that button is bound to zero?

I guess that shouldn't really be a legitimate situation. We should probably just disable it if nothing is bound for the hold key.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Hmm, well, if you enable keyboard automation but don't set the buttons, they will all be zero by default. So maybe that button is bound to zero?

I guess that shouldn't really be a legitimate situation. We should probably just disable it if nothing is bound for the hold key.

But before that I had tested it with other hold + key combinations. It does not matter, what I am mapping to them. The home button triggers the pause screen every time.

2 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

But before that I had tested it with other hold + key combinations. It does not matter, what I am mapping to them. The home button triggers the pause screen every time.

We've confirmed that it's keyboard automation that's doing it, right? Only happens when you enable keyboard automation. So that pretty much proves that for some reason, the home button on that controller is sending a key press of some sort. No idea why, but that appears to be the case. What happens when you open Notepad, focus it, and then press the Home button? Anything?

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We've confirmed that it's keyboard automation that's doing it, right? Only happens when you enable keyboard automation. So that pretty much proves that for some reason, the home button on that controller is sending a key press of some sort. No idea why, but that appears to be the case. What happens when you open Notepad, focus it, and then press the Home button? Anything?

I have opened notepad and focused it. Nothing happens when I press the home button.

1 minute ago, deliyuerek85 said:

I have opened notepad and focused it. Nothing happens when I press the home button.

Alright, well then it's not a visible key that causes a key stroke at least. There's probably some kind of keypress happening, but it's going to be difficult to debug it without having the controller. Do you have any controller mapping applications running or anything of that nature?

Anyone else using a PS4 controller? Can you test this?

18 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, well then it's not a visible key that causes a key stroke at least. There's probably some kind of keypress happening, but it's going to be difficult to debug it without having the controller. Do you have any controller mapping applications running or anything of that nature?

Anyone else using a PS4 controller? Can you test this?

I've discovered something. I'm using the program "DS4Windows" to emulate a Xbox 360 controller with the PS4 controller. The Home Button of the PS4 controller was assigned as the guide button on a real Xbox360 controller. After unassigning it nothing happens when I press the button while playing a game.

Now I don't know if it is the Xbox360 guide button what is causing this or if the program is sending another key alongside the Xbox360 guide key.

If it is the first case than this should happen with original Xbox360 controllers too.

EDIT: I think this case can be closed. I think I will deactivate the keyboard automation an use the normal keyboard mapping alongside joy2key instead. Thank you for helping me to figure this out Jason.

Edited by deliyuerek85

26 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

I've discovered something. I'm using the program "DS4Windows" to emulate a Xbox 360 controller with the PS4 controller. The Home Button of the PS4 controller was assigned as the guide button on a real Xbox360 controller. After unassigning it nothing happens when I press the button while playing a game.

Now I don't know if it is the Xbox360 guide button what is causing this or if the program is sending another key alongside the Xbox360 guide key.

If it is the first case than this should happen with original Xbox360 controllers too.

EDIT: I think this case can be closed. I think I will deactivate the keyboard automation an use the normal keyboard mapping alongside joy2key instead. Thank you for helping me to figure this out Jason.

I'm glad you mentioned this. It's pretty unexpected and I haven't figured out why, but the guide button on the Xbox One controllers are indeed causing it. So I'm on it.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:30 AM, Retro808 said:

@wallmachine Seeing the same thing you are. If LB and BB are not set to the same Startup theme it always references the Default Theme shutdown. The Startup image does change, it is just the shutdown. 

Edited: Removed the focus issue as it turns out I Nvidia Geforce Experience on. I thought it was odd as I never had it before. Geforce has caused numerous issues for me before. 

Can you explain your fix and how you achieved it because now startup themes don't work for me at all in BB/LB after upgrading to beta 6 not even on default settings or customised settings.

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I just tested this to confirm and I'm not having any issues. I may not be fully understanding though. If I set LaunchBox and Big Box to both use the same startup theme, the startup screens are working just fine for me. What am I missing?

Could you please provide a video of how you are setting Startup themes and configuring.

Do not use the Default theme just create another and reference it if possible.

I've watched this video but still not working.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@wallmachine Startup and shutdown screens work fine in beta 6, sans for the issue with the wrong shutdown theme being used, which I've fixed for the next beta. If you're still having issues with it, we should put that discussion into another thread.

where would it best fit to create this thread
edit: nevermind so the new thread just above you created?

Edited by wallmachine